Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member Johannes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    i love my garmin, but ...

    isn't it time garmin, or any other manufacturer, bring these bike units up to date? i understand the outdoor/fitness market is small in comparison to automotive GPS units. i also understand that there are needs for miniaturization and there is only a very limited amount of battery power available. but still!

    here is what i want:

    -color display
    -modern battery technology
    -the GPS should tell me where i am instead of where i was when i arrive at home
    -interactivity with other components (like in flightdeck by shimano) optional
    -map options via memory card
    -more way points
    -expandable memory
    -better host software (ascent is so much cooler than training center)
    -user replaceable battery

    please let me know in case i missed a product that is out there already.

    j

  2. #2
    Still Learning
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    -user replaceable battery
    Thats a good point how does the garmin edge 305 stand up with the battery, should I let it go completely dead before recharging so spot charging doesnt ruin the battery?

  3. #3
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    isn't it time garmin, or any other manufacturer, bring these bike units up to date? i understand the outdoor/fitness market is small in comparison to automotive GPS units. i also understand that there are needs for miniaturization and there is only a very limited amount of battery power available. but still!

    here is what i want:

    -color display
    -modern battery technology
    -the GPS should tell me where i am instead of where i was when i arrive at home
    -interactivity with other components (like in flightdeck by shimano) optional
    -map options via memory card
    -more way points
    -expandable memory
    -better host software (ascent is so much cooler than training center)
    -user replaceable battery

    please let me know in case i missed a product that is out there already.

    j
    Garmin eTrex Legend Cx offers you:

    -color display
    -the GPS tells you where i are
    -map options via memory card
    -more way points (plus set your own routes)
    -expandable memory
    -user replaceable battery

    Coupling it with SportTracks (a free software), you also get:
    * Complete route information including:
    - location (and in the beta sporttracks, google earth satellite images)
    - speed info, elevation/gradient, etc
    * Ability to couple it with HR info from your HR monitor
    * Ability to compare and average all your rides recorded in your eTrex for almost any datapoint you want

    It's seriously the most cost effective solution out there right now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Johannes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will check it out. thanks for the pointer. i like to ride long distances and bike maps for our region seem hard to come by. except for NYC itself which has free excellent maps. if your suggestion works i can leave the printouts from google earth at home finally. thanks!

    the garmins are nice for a workout log. yes, the batteries seem to have memory and degrade rapidly in my experience. i refuse to think about it. i use the garmin at least 5 times a week and it goes back on a USB cable when i come home and stays there. not the best solution for the battery, but it doesn't get lost when kept on the USB-leash :-).

    j

  5. #5
    Senior Member gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North shore of Mass.
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
    Garmin eTrex Legend Cx offers you:

    -color display
    -the GPS tells you where i are
    -map options via memory card
    -more way points (plus set your own routes)
    -expandable memory
    -user replaceable battery

    Coupling it with SportTracks (a free software), you also get:
    * Complete route information including:
    - location (and in the beta sporttracks, google earth satellite images)
    - speed info, elevation/gradient, etc
    * Ability to couple it with HR info from your HR monitor
    * Ability to compare and average all your rides recorded in your eTrex for almost any datapoint you want

    It's seriously the most cost effective solution out there right now.
    +1 I just can't believe people would rather ride with the 305 than the Etrex Legend CX. I want a moving map when I ride.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Johannes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi gear,
    i hear you loud and clearly and i too am ready move up to something with a color map. how are the etrex in terms of water proofing? how does it compare to offerings from other companies like this one:

    delorme np 20

    how do the different map packages compare? is there a software that features bike lanes/routes?

    another comparison is size of course. which is the smallest/lightest of these units?

    the garmins are not navigation units. they are more log-keepers for your workouts. i go the same way from brooklyn to central park 5 times a week. i will find my way without a map by now. the garmins take excellent track of lap times, miles, calories, and the like. it is a different species of products.

  7. #7
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    hi gear,
    i hear you loud and clearly and i too am ready move up to something with a color map. how are the etrex in terms of water proofing? how does it compare to offerings from other companies like this one:

    delorme np 20

    how do the different map packages compare? is there a software that features bike lanes/routes?

    another comparison is size of course. which is the smallest/lightest of these units?

    the garmins are not navigation units. they are more log-keepers for your workouts. i go the same way from brooklyn to central park 5 times a week. i will find my way without a map by now. the garmins take excellent track of lap times, miles, calories, and the like. it is a different species of products.
    A few things:

    1. The eTrex is water proof (at least the eTrex Legend Cx) and I've ridden with it in the rain, no problem
    2. The eTrex is a Garmin (just mentioning it since you said "garmins are not navigation units" and the eTrex is definitely a navigational unit)

    I've been really happy with the eTrex and the navigation it provides. The only thing I'd change is to turn the volume higher (which apparently you can't do, I'm looking for a hack that would allow it). The alerts to notify you a turn is coming up can sometimes be hard to hear when cars are going by, but the screen also changes to show the turn coming up and it notifes you twice.

    Coupled with the free software of SportTracks, it's a fantastic option.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Johannes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are totally correct. i refer to my garmin 305 as "the garmin". i am aware that garmin makes full featured navigation devices. my wrong. i'm glad to hear about the reliability of the etrex in the rain.

    you say that the etrex talks to you? wow! that is a feature i wasn't even thinking about. i saw this feature used only once. my office in manhattan is over a bar and on the way home i saw a drunk guy using a handheld device telling him how to make it home. it wasn't easy since he was on his knees already and had only 3 points of contact with the ground while holding up the GPS device.

  9. #9
    Senior Member gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North shore of Mass.
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my etrex in a downpour (I wish I didn't have to but thats' biking) so I know it is at least very water resistant. I've used it in combination with Garmin's mapsource maps and maps by Terain Navagator. I like to save tracks of on and off road rides I've made and sometimes reload them to do them again. I've used it in Europe and traveling in N.A. I've used it walking and in my car. I have mounts on all my bikes' handlebars. The best thing to me is to explore places I've never been and use the GPS moving map to get me back to familiar turf after getting real lost. Its' a small unit but I can read the screen (while biking or driving) without my reading glasses.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    +1 I just can't believe people would rather ride with the 305 than the Etrex Legend CX. I want a moving map when I ride.
    isn't cause of all the nice statistics the 305 can tell the user when riding their bikes? (I only assume since I do not own one).

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    +1 I just can't believe people would rather ride with the 305 than the Etrex Legend CX. I want a moving map when I ride.
    I dont need my garmin for navigating. I'm not lost, i know where im going, and where ive been. What I did buy it for was keeping track of my rides, replacing my cyclo computer and my heartrate monitor, and for training when i'm alone.

    Now getting home from a group ride, commute, or training ride I can just plug it in, and my fitness log is updated with all the crap I used to be too lazy to type in

    Now if they can come out with a combined version, without getting bigger, im all over it.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60 for ride info (cyclocomputer functions), map display, and geocaching on the bike. The Garmin bike mount for these units is great, and the GPSMAP 60 goes 20+ hours on a set of batteries. Mine does not have removable map storage, but it does have 24 MB of internal memory for maps. The reason I got the GPSMAP 60 over a Legend is that the GPSMAP 60 is more rugged, has a larger screen, a better antenna, and better battery life. I don't have a color screen, but I really don't understand the need for one. There's definitely a unit out there for everyone's needs.

    Ken

  13. #13
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    you are totally correct. i refer to my garmin 305 as "the garmin". i am aware that garmin makes full featured navigation devices. my wrong. i'm glad to hear about the reliability of the etrex in the rain.

    you say that the etrex talks to you?
    wow! that is a feature i wasn't even thinking about. i saw this feature used only once. my office in manhattan is over a bar and on the way home i saw a drunk guy using a handheld device telling him how to make it home. it wasn't easy since he was on his knees already and had only 3 points of contact with the ground while holding up the GPS device.
    Sort of. It doesn't have a voice but alert beeps. It's got diff. beeps to warn you a turn is coming up and then again when it's time to turn and for other things (waypoints, etc). So it lets you know but with sounds, not voice.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Key West, FL
    My Bikes
    2013 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Lemond Versailles, 2011 Bianchi Milano
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an eTrex Legend (not Cx so no color) and over the years it has been subjected to serious salt spray while boating to dive sites, submerged during an incident with a canoe, splashed while kayaking and survived a major endo on my MTB. It still gets me to where I'm going just fine.

  15. #15
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never got used to having something as big as a Etrex on the handlebars. I usually just throw it in my pack on "record track" function and DL the data when I get home.

    I have a standard little cateye on the bars and only take out the Garmin if I get lost.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Zero_Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
    My Bikes
    MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
    A few things:

    1. The eTrex is water proof (at least the eTrex Legend Cx) and I've ridden with it in the rain, no problem
    2. The eTrex is a Garmin (just mentioning it since you said "garmins are not navigation units" and the eTrex is definitely a navigational unit)

    I've been really happy with the eTrex and the navigation it provides. The only thing I'd change is to turn the volume higher (which apparently you can't do, I'm looking for a hack that would allow it). The alerts to notify you a turn is coming up can sometimes be hard to hear when cars are going by, but the screen also changes to show the turn coming up and it notifes you twice.

    Coupled with the free software of SportTracks, it's a fantastic option.
    While talking with some folks at the local Walmart as they're looking at GPS's they told me that Garmin did not cover repairs for thier Etrex Legend (black & white) or any models if the unit is subjected to salt water. Just a FYI I thought I'd throw out. WhileI'm sure mostof you are all in North America so I don't think salt water is too much of an issue unless you dropped it into a saltwater aquarium.
    Zero_Enigma

  17. #17
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma View Post
    While talking with some folks at the local Walmart as they're looking at GPS's they told me that Garmin did not cover repairs for thier Etrex Legend (black & white) or any models if the unit is subjected to salt water. Just a FYI I thought I'd throw out. WhileI'm sure mostof you are all in North America so I don't think salt water is too much of an issue unless you dropped it into a saltwater aquarium.
    Why were you at a Walmart? You support them?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Zero_Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
    My Bikes
    MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I love the Etrex for it's size but from what I've read it's not vibration protected for biking. Something I've read on the board and other forums about the circuit board or some electronics inside the unit coming loose and the unit is FUBAR'ed then.

    Also another issue I have with the Etrex is they have /NOT/ gotten the SiRF technology into the units. Sure if you're out in the open then you'll be fine without issues but when you're under cover in the trailpaths and offroad under the trees you lose the signal quite a lot. Anyone that has been there knows what I'm talking about. If you're geocaching as well the signal fades in/out as you're under cover and takes about a minute to a few mins to re-lock on your position. I've had routes where it looked like the Family Circus where Billy is walking around the place with dots and break ups all over the place when I checked my traceroute.

    Come on Garmin, it's been like 2yrs I think since SiRF has been out on your CS60 models (if I got the model number right) why can't you put that on your Etrex models? I'm sure the hunters have complained as well as other riders.

    Otherwise I love the size and use of the unit.
    Zero_Enigma

  19. #19
    Senior Member Zero_Enigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
    My Bikes
    MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
    Why were you at a Walmart? You support them?
    I stopped by to check out some stuff while passing by and I find I don't get pressured into buying stuff while there then like other stores just for looking and trying out the products. What are you the spending police?
    Zero_Enigma

  20. #20
    Senior Member akatsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
    A few things:

    1. The eTrex is water proof (at least the eTrex Legend Cx) and I've ridden with it in the rain, no problem
    2. The eTrex is a Garmin (just mentioning it since you said "garmins are not navigation units" and the eTrex is definitely a navigational unit)

    I've been really happy with the eTrex and the navigation it provides. The only thing I'd change is to turn the volume higher (which apparently you can't do, I'm looking for a hack that would allow it). The alerts to notify you a turn is coming up can sometimes be hard to hear when cars are going by, but the screen also changes to show the turn coming up and it notifes you twice.

    Coupled with the free software of SportTracks, it's a fantastic option.
    I have a 305 just for cadence and HR pretty much, but if I was going to do it again, I would have gotten the eTrex and a cheaper regular HRM/cadence computer. The real shame is that they should just make a bicycle kit for the eTrex instead of having the separate system...
    Current: Lynskey R210 | Miyata 610
    Selling: Anchor PCD3 (NJS)

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma View Post
    from what I've read it's not vibration protected for biking. Something I've read on the board and other forums about the circuit board or some electronics inside the unit coming loose and the unit is FUBAR'ed then.
    My Etrex has been through several crashes - the handlebar mount kept it securely in place on the bike, and, although the bike and everything on it (including me) was subjected to quite a shock in each of these crashes, it continues to work without complaint.

    Caruso

  22. #22
    user friendly doctortalk121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xxx
    Last edited by doctortalk121; 08-12-07 at 01:11 PM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Houston_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Saber, Fuji Team LE
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eTrex Legend Users:

    I am considering the Garmin 305 versus the eTrex Legend. Can you answer the following for me?

    1) Does the eTrex Legend require a subscription to a GPS service, or do you just simply turn on the unit?
    2) How big is the unit? Does it fit on a bike handlebar? Are there bike mounting brackets included or available?
    3) Is there as way with the eTrex Legend to save past routes? or upload your stats (speed, distance, routes) to another software program?
    4) If i have a separate cadence/HRM, is there any reason why I would want the 305 model.

    Sorry about all of the questions. I just don't have a lot of experience with either model.

    Thanks!

  24. #24
    Senior Member littlewaywelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- Etrex doesn't require any subscriptions. GPS is free.
    2- It's about the size of a candybar phone. You can see the specs at Garmin's website
    3- etrex and 98% of all gps units can save routes you create via waypoints at minimum. You can upload to the best program available which is free and requires no subscription unlike many web-based solutions. sporttracks from www.zonefivesoftware.com
    4- don't know, I use the 305 forerunner not 305 edge
    One Less Car
    Conservation begins with you.

  25. #25
    Senior Member kk4df's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an older Garmin GPS V, not the eTrex, but have used it mounted on my bike. It has maps for my local area, and does track my route with speed. For this GPS, I had to use another program to get my data into a compatible file, which I could then import into SportTracks. Once there, I can see the route I took along with speed. I also had a heart rate monitor, but it could not download data to the PC.

    I recently bought the Garmin Edge 305. The Edge puts everything all in one small unit: route followed, speed, elevation, cadence, and heart rate. Now it's just really simple to load the data into the PC. I had stopped using the previous GPS simply because it required too much effort after each ride. The Edge downloads the data AND recharges the battery when I plug it in to capture the data.

    Of course if I ever bike somewhere that I've never been and think I might get lost, I'll either have a map or the old GPS with me. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •