Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   GPS turn-by-turn routing w/custom route (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/325103-gps-turn-turn-routing-w-custom-route.html)

sporky 07-25-07 11:45 AM

GPS turn-by-turn routing w/custom route
 
I've read on this board that people like using their Garmin eTrex GPS for bicycle navigation. I understand that on certain models City Navigator software can be loaded. If I create a round-trip route using one of the GPX-creating websites and upload it to an eTrex with City Navigator loaded, will the GPS give me turn-by-turn instructions and automatically reroute me with turn-by-turn instructions if I get off-track?

ghettocruiser 07-25-07 04:00 PM

They can route turn-by turn or follow a tracklog forwards or backwards, which you can indeed make from a gpx file.

I'm not sure about giving turn-by-turns to get back onto a tracklog, never tried this, I'm guessing no.

Edit: To be clear, you need to have a C-series for turn-by-turn directions. Any of them can follow a tracklog.

sporky 07-26-07 07:55 AM

thanks. just to be clear, and hopefully not sound like a dummy, when using a custom route will the C-series give voice prompts like "turn left in 1/2 mile" and so forth when navigating to each waypoint, or just show my position on the map in relation to the route I created?

ghettocruiser 07-26-07 09:53 AM

No voice. You gets beeps and arrows.

Carusoswi 07-26-07 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser (Post 4935722)
No voice. You gets beeps and arrows.

But, the Etrex Vista CX will recalculate if you go off track to reroute you to your destination. Depending upon the available routes, that may involve turning around to re-establish your original routing, or a revision of your route to take you to your destination via the revised calculation of the best route following your having gone off track.

This model also features several route calculation modes (auto, bus, pedestrian, bicyclist, toll roads, no toll roads, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Caruso

doctortalk121 07-27-07 12:54 AM

xxx

sporky 07-27-07 04:15 AM

thanks for clarifying this for me

Dahon.Steve 07-27-07 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporky (Post 4927797)
If I create a round-trip route using one of the GPX-creating websites and upload it to an eTrex with City Navigator loaded, will the GPS give me turn-by-turn instructions and automatically reroute me with turn-by-turn instructions if I get off-track?

I think you find using the GPX website routes not compatible with your Garmin unit. There are may different methods of caculating longitude and latitude and your better off buying City Navigator instead.

If you get off track, things get a little messy with the Garmin units. You see, the Garmin GPS will force you to go back to the points you missed in the route unless you DELETE the point!

sporky 07-29-07 08:35 PM

Thanks Steve. Is there another brand of GPS you recommend that work well with GPX maps? Does City Navigator software allow me to create my own route using custom waypoints (i.e. a round-trip bike ride)?

Dahon.Steve 07-30-07 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporky (Post 4960037)
Thanks Steve. Is there another brand of GPS you recommend that work well with GPX maps? Does City Navigator software allow me to create my own route using custom waypoints (i.e. a round-trip bike ride)?

I'm certain you maybe able to use GPX maps but it will take trial and error to find the right setup. The software that comes with Garmin allows you to create your own route using custom waypoints. I do this ALL the time and created a library of routes over the years.

Round-trip is a little different. If you're goint to create a round-trip bike ride, you should create TWO routes. If you create one route and have the unit reverse the route, it may having you going against traffic on a one way street because the initial route had you going in the right right direction. The reverse route puts you down the same street but in reverse!

FatguyRacer 08-08-07 02:22 PM

Quote:

You see, the Garmin GPS will force you to go back to the points you missed in the route unless you DELETE the point!
Only if there is no other way and its not as bad as you kinda of make it seem. In the Routes setup, checking off the No U-turns box will help the unit autoroute somewhere else. When i like to explore on the motorcycle with my Legend C, I click off all the boxes, No U-Turn, No Toll Road, No Highways and No Dirt Roads. Good times!

Dahon.Steve 08-08-07 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatguyRacer (Post 5028675)
Only if there is no other way and its not as bad as you kinda of make it seem. In the Routes setup, checking off the No U-turns box will help the unit autoroute somewhere else. When i like to explore on the motorcycle with my Legend C, I click off all the boxes, No U-Turn, No Toll Road, No Highways and No Dirt Roads. Good times!

Good one.

I didn't know about the No U-Turns feature. In fact, the experts at Garmin didn't even know of this feature.

Thanks


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.