Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-07, 12:02 PM   #1
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pulled over by Police!

My uberbright Dinotte taillight attracted the attention of the local police. As i was riding along last night, i heard the blip of the siren and saw the flashing lights. I pulled over, expecting a ticket for something, when the officer told me why he pulled me over. I had been riding on a loooong flat stretch, and the office had been about 10 blocks back. He saw the flashing light and could'nt figure out what it was. so he zoomed up and then saw me. He could'nt believe how small and bright it was. Asked me for company info, says he thinks the bike police unit would love these. waved me on with a thank you and good night.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 01:05 PM   #2
markhr
POWERCRANK addict
 
markhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Acton, West London, UK
Bikes:
Posts: 3,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
My uberbright Dinotte taillight attracted the attention of the local police. As i was riding along last night, i heard the blip of the siren and saw the flashing lights. I pulled over, expecting a ticket for something, when the officer told me why he pulled me over. I had been riding on a loooong flat stretch, and the office had been about 10 blocks back. He saw the flashing light and could'nt figure out what it was. so he zoomed up and then saw me. He could'nt believe how small and bright it was. Asked me for company info, says he thinks the bike police unit would love these. waved me on with a thank you and good night.
cool
__________________
shameless POWERCRANK plug
Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
markhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 01:24 PM   #3
wrafl
Senior Member
 
wrafl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Bushman;4963970] He saw the flashing light and could'nt figure out what it was. so he zoomed up and then saw me. He could'nt believe how small and bright it was. [QUOTE]

That's amazing. He could have called for the entire police force for backup if he didn't have the courage to check that bright light at near ground level believing it was one of those mystifying UFO's.
wrafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 02:48 PM   #4
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm not sure that Vancouver BC is a UFO hotspot....then and again you never know!
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 05:26 PM   #5
Frankenbiker
Slow ride, take it easy -
 
Frankenbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois
Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's why I use tail lights that are "DOT approved." If I were to be pulled over because an officer thought my tail lights were too bright and possibly were not "approved" lighting as a home-built, then I could point to the "DOT approved" text on the tail lights. As it is, I tilt the beehives down a little bit so anybody following me isn't blinded. I think the effective overvolting of the SLA does it.

I've also been told by fellow employees when they drive past me, that both my tail lights and headlights are much brighter than any car's. I think overvolting from the SLA battery and that I am running two Philips Energy Advantage halogen lamps (35W output for 20W) gives me about 80-ish Watts of halogen super brightness. I do dim my headlights to 7W (using the lightbrain controller) when behind somebody at a stop sign so I don't blind them through their rear view mirror.
Frankenbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 05:26 PM   #6
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cops don't need probable cause for a stop up there?
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 05:33 PM   #7
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Cops don't need probable cause for a stop up there?
Investigating a strange super bright light is enough. He was curious and didn't hassle the OP so get your panties out of the twist they appear to be in.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 06:31 PM   #8
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hahahaha,.....mmmm...twisted panties!!!!!

I have ZERO concerns about being pulled over. Half my family is on the force, somedays i get pulled over for fun by some of the older officers that know my uncle. This particular officer that pulled me over was new, young and genuinely curious about the taillight. He wrote down the Dinotte website and model number in his notebook, thanked me and drove on.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 07:52 PM   #9
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bush,

See if you can setup shop locally and supply to the force.
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 09:44 PM   #10
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
seriously considering it, however they are pretty happy with their NiteRider Police Issue wigwags and siren......

however, maybe if Dinotte made blue lenses for the headlights, ......
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 10:46 PM   #11
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
i'm not sure that Vancouver BC is a UFO hotspot....then and again you never know!
Depends, how many 7-11's still carry herb?
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 01:07 AM   #12
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HAHAHA, pretty much every one in the downtown core, there is all these nice people mutterring under their breath "weed?, jib?, ice?, rock?"

there is a lady in the West Side that occasionally freaks out and phones the police to report a UFO.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 11:08 AM   #13
littlewaywelt
Senior Member
 
littlewaywelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Cops don't need probable cause for a stop up there?
Reasonable suspicion is the generally standard for pulling over not pc.
littlewaywelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 04:37 PM   #14
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Cool

That reminds me to tell everyone, I just installed some more lights on my "lowrider" (some say a lowrider has to be a Harley-looking bike, but this is an 1982 Suzuki).
I don't know what else to call it. Here's a picture before I added more lights:


I have since added a 24 inch bar across the front with amber lights, and two bullet lights on the rear. There is a thermal type automotive blinker in series, and each side , left and right, has it's own toggle switch (which cost almost $5.00 now, with the price of copper skyrocketing),
So I can signal left or right, or have 4-way flashers going.
The problem is, I used BLUE lights for the rear. I expect to be told "Only police and fire dept. can have blue lights".
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 02:42 PM   #15
opskmallory
Uber Newbie
 
opskmallory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spanish Fork, UT
Bikes: '07 GF Piranha
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are three levels of encounters or stops:

Level 1 - Voluntary encounter: not being detained. This is a cop stopping anyone and starting a casual conversation. Subject is not required to provide ID, is not detained, and the subject may leave at any time.

Level 2 - Reasonable Suspicion. They are not in custody, but are not free to leave. May be asking questions about a crime, to either a witness or a suspect. Subject must provide ID when asked. Miranda takes affect at this point when speaking with a suspect. This is when citations are generally issued and a custodial arrest is not warranted. Reasonable suspicion is a much lower standard than probable cause.

Level 3 - Probable Cause. They are in custody, under arrest, and obviously not free to leave.

If this were in the US, in this case, it was a Level 1 encounter, and which point the OP could have told the officer to pound sand and leave him alone. The officer would have no right to detain him. However, it could be argued that because he chirped his siren, that it made the OP feel as though he were not free to leave. But it could be further argued on the other side that the siren was only meant to gain the OP's attention, and that it was used as nothing morn than a horn. Had lights been activated, that would be an obvious increase to Level 2.
opskmallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 04:05 PM   #16
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I had a somewhat similar situation last night. The biggest difference is that the police didn't flash his lights to stop me.

I ride with a Cygolite Dual 300 Lithium Ion (handlebar - on steady) and Cateye 410 (helmet - on flashing) in the front and a Viewpoint rear flasher. I also wear a Zinglet for additional visability.

I'm out on a dimmly lit straight route at about 10:30 pm when I see a police car slow and then pass me going the other way. He passes me and makes a u-turn so I'm now doing a checklist in my head wondering what might be wrong. He comes up slowly and then passes me, stopping about 100 yards or so in front of me and gets out, waiting for me. As I approach he asks if he could talk with me. It's a marked car and he's in uniform so I stop.

It turns out that he's a cyclist and was impressed with my visability and wanted to see what I was using. He particularly liked the Cygolite and the zinglet.

All in all, it gave me added confidence that my "set-up" was doing its job.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 04:08 PM   #17
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by opskmallory View Post
There are three levels of encounters or stops:

Level 1 - Voluntary encounter: not being detained. This is a cop stopping anyone and starting a casual conversation. Subject is not required to provide ID, is not detained, and the subject may leave at any time.

Level 2 - Reasonable Suspicion. They are not in custody, but are not free to leave. May be asking questions about a crime, to either a witness or a suspect. Subject must provide ID when asked. Miranda takes affect at this point when speaking with a suspect. This is when citations are generally issued and a custodial arrest is not warranted. Reasonable suspicion is a much lower standard than probable cause.

Level 3 - Probable Cause. They are in custody, under arrest, and obviously not free to leave.

If this were in the US, in this case, it was a Level 1 encounter, and which point the OP could have told the officer to pound sand and leave him alone. The officer would have no right to detain him. However, it could be argued that because he chirped his siren, that it made the OP feel as though he were not free to leave. But it could be further argued on the other side that the siren was only meant to gain the OP's attention, and that it was used as nothing morn than a horn. Had lights been activated, that would be an obvious increase to Level 2.
Regarding the level two explanation...Miranda does not apply unless you are taken into custody and under arrest. Police do not have to Mirandize you if giving citations without an arrest.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 05:03 PM   #18
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK View Post
Regarding the level two explanation...Miranda does not apply unless you are taken into custody and under arrest. Police do not have to Mirandize you if giving citations without an arrest.
Do you have a source on this?
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 08:13 PM   #19
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn View Post
Investigating a strange super bright light is enough. He was curious and didn't hassle the OP so get your panties out of the twist they appear to be in.
There is a line in the Vehicle Code in South Carolina that allows a rear blinking red light on a bicycle, so no reasonable suspicion to stop the bike here.

Good to see you're back Raiyn. We've all missed your condescending rants.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 09:04 PM   #20
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma View Post
Do you have a source on this?
I'm not inclined to research and quote the Supreme Court at 11:00 pm but if you've ever been stopped at a police check point (i.e. a DUI road block) or for a traffic ticket you are required to stop, required to provide identification but you are not entitled to Miranda rights.

Have you ever been Mirandized at a road block? Have you ever been Mirandized when getting a ticket?
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 10:48 PM   #21
Bushman
Grumbly Goat
Thread Starter
 
Bushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: bicycles with round wheels
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DieselDan (what diesel rig you driving anyways?) , this happened in vancouver BC Canada. We are allowed blinky lights here. The officer was just really curious, had never seen such a bright tail light before. The entire stop we were chatting like buddies.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 07:45 AM   #22
aliensporebomb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: minneapolis, mn
Bikes:
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
That reminds me to tell everyone, I just installed some more lights on my "lowrider" (some say a lowrider has to be a Harley-looking bike, but this is an 1982 Suzuki).
I don't know what else to call it. Here's a picture before I added more lights:


I have since added a 24 inch bar across the front with amber lights, and two bullet lights on the rear. There is a thermal type automotive blinker in series, and each side , left and right, has it's own toggle switch (which cost almost $5.00 now, with the price of copper skyrocketing),
So I can signal left or right, or have 4-way flashers going.
The problem is, I used BLUE lights for the rear. I expect to be told "Only police and fire dept. can have blue lights".
That explains the UFO sightings!
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 11:58 AM   #23
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
That explains the UFO sightings!
You are quite right, my lighting has caused a number of UFO reports.

There was one man who saw one of my bikes, and he called Police to report a snowmobile (not this past July, but a few years ago July). The Police dragged him away and put him in the Psych ward of a local hospital. Obviously, reports of snowmobiles in 90 degree weather are taken as evicence of halucinations...
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 12:19 PM   #24
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
There is a line in the Vehicle Code in South Carolina that allows a rear blinking red light on a bicycle, so no reasonable suspicion to stop the bike here.
I missed your misguided musings as well.
A Dinnotte is far brighter than the typical blinky so therefore a "What the **** is that? I'd better check it out" is warranted (go ask a judge). This didn't happen in SC and even if it had, this isn't an ACLU case anyway. The cop was curious, and stopped Bushman to ask about the light in order to provide the information to the Bike Patrol squad in order to enhance the quality of equipment used by them and increase their level of safety. There's no legal issue with that and anyone that would think there was needs to go eat a bran muffin.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 04:20 PM   #25
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 AM.