Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dinotte Tail light Battery Life In The Cold

    What kind of battery life (in hours of use please) are Dinotte AA tail light users getting during wintertime when the temperature is in the -10c to -25c range? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Grumbly Goat Bushman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    bicycles with round wheels
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Ziemas, i dont actually know i have'nt had winter here yet! but a little trick we used to use when riding the logging roads in the winter in sub zero weather is to put the battery pack from your lights in a seatbag, with a chemical 2 hour handwarmer pack. The difference is incredible in runtimes, particularly with SLA batts.

    cheers
    You ride a bike, we GET IT, no need to rant about it or look down on others....its JUST A BIKE...get over yourselves.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With so many posts tauting the DiNotte taillight as being the end all of lights I'm completely surprised that no one has any info on how it preforms in the cold.


    Come on folks, give up the info!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    With so many posts tauting the DiNotte taillight as being the end all of lights I'm completely surprised that no one has any info on how it preforms in the cold.


    Come on folks, give up the info!
    Well the problem I have had is that the taillight on blink mode has such an extremely long runtime I have never had it die. So even if the battery life is cut in half the batteries would still outlast my ride.

    -D

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath View Post
    Well the problem I have had is that the taillight on blink mode has such an extremely long runtime I have never had it die. So even if the battery life is cut in half the batteries would still outlast my ride.

    -D
    How long is your ride, and do you use the taillight in below freezing conditions?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they are lithium they are fine. lithium works way below zero...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edzo View Post
    if they are lithium they are fine. lithium works way below zero...
    I use Ni-MH rechargeables. I have a ton of them.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    I use Ni-MH rechargeables. I have a ton of them.
    Take some extras along anyway and keep them warm in your pocket.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ni-Mh are almost as good as lithium in regards to cold. I'd say if they are freshly charged they would
    last 92% as long as they would at 70 degrees F. Lithium would be 99.9% (depending on the formula)

    so ...no worries

    NiCD are the ones which are junk in the cold

  10. #10
    urban biker
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    My Bikes
    Haro MTB for commuting and a LHT for everything else.
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edzo View Post
    NiCD are the ones which are junk in the cold
    I believe it's the other way around, with NiCads providing better service in the cold than NiMHs

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    How long is your ride, and do you use the taillight in below freezing conditions?
    I've ridden upwards of 4 hours with the light on. No freezing yet (Just bought it last spring).

    -D

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath View Post
    I've ridden upwards of 4 hours with the light on. No freezing yet (Just bought it last spring).

    -D
    Thanks. Was the light on blinking or solid?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Thanks. Was the light on blinking or solid?
    Blinking.

    But if you really want to know email Rob @ dinotte. He has been nothing but straight with me. And so far their published runtimes have been spot on.

    -D

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath View Post
    Blinking.

    But if you really want to know email Rob @ dinotte. He has been nothing but straight with me. And so far their published runtimes have been spot on.

    -D
    Thanks for the info.

    I'd like some independent conformation as to run times as I once wrote to Rob asking if they had a 5w spot to replace my 10w halogen spot (I was very clear I wanted a spot) and he tried to talk me into buying his 5w flood, saying it would be just as good as a spot. It rather put me off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •