Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Pants are for suckaz HandsomeRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mt. Airy, MD
    My Bikes
    Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    LED blinker circuit diagrams that work?

    I know there is already a thread for homebrew lighting but it appears to be focused on headlights. I am trying to find a reasonable design for a rear blinker for my bike. I have found several links with pretty diagrams but with my limited knowledge of electronics, I'm not sure i trust some of them to be accurate. It is easy to post a diagram on the internet and say it will work, but i was unable to find pictures of the lights below accually constructed and in use.

    For example: http://www.redcircuits.com/Page24.htm

    I like the compactness and the pattern these lights blink at but the resistors for the led's (10Ω) appear to me that they would turn most light emitting diodes into smoke emmiting diodes.

    another example is http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...tm#555leds.gif

    the 40LED flasher looks really neat but I do not understand how the second batch of lights flashes. When pin 3 (output) of the 555 goes high, it will trigger the upper transistor (2N3053) to complete the circuit and light the top segment of LED's. when the output current goes low, it seems that the second transistor (2N2905) would be unaffected and the lower set of lights will never come on? admittedly i do not know much about transistors and how they opperate.

    the 10 LED sequencer at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...htm#4017-2.gif
    looks like a pretty good design that could be expanded to light multiple LED's for each output of the 4017IC. I have not built it yet, but I believe it has lots of possibilities for running various patterns in a simple compact circuit design.

    If anyone else has links or pictures of wiring diagrams for use in building LED tail lights I'd love to see them.

  2. #2
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    I know there is already a thread for homebrew lighting but it appears to be focused on headlights. I am trying to find a reasonable design for a rear blinker for my bike. I have found several links with pretty diagrams but with my limited knowledge of electronics, I'm not sure i trust some of them to be accurate. It is easy to post a diagram on the internet and say it will work, but i was unable to find pictures of the lights below accually constructed and in use.

    For example: http://www.redcircuits.com/Page24.htm

    I like the compactness and the pattern these lights blink at but the resistors for the led's (10Ω) appear to me that they would turn most light emitting diodes into smoke emmiting diodes.

    another example is http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...tm#555leds.gif

    the 40LED flasher looks really neat but I do not understand how the second batch of lights flashes. When pin 3 (output) of the 555 goes high, it will trigger the upper transistor (2N3053) to complete the circuit and light the top segment of LED's. when the output current goes low, it seems that the second transistor (2N2905) would be unaffected and the lower set of lights will never come on? admittedly i do not know much about transistors and how they opperate.

    the 10 LED sequencer at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...htm#4017-2.gif
    looks like a pretty good design that could be expanded to light multiple LED's for each output of the 4017IC. I have not built it yet, but I believe it has lots of possibilities for running various patterns in a simple compact circuit design.

    If anyone else has links or pictures of wiring diagrams for use in building LED tail lights I'd love to see them.
    I can confirm that the 40LED flasher works - I've built one myself!
    www.rebel-cycles.com

    The official Canadian dealer of TW-Bents recumbent bicycles!

  3. #3
    Pants are for suckaz HandsomeRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mt. Airy, MD
    My Bikes
    Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-o View Post
    I can confirm that the 40LED flasher works - I've built one myself!
    good to know that it works. did you incorperate any changes to the design such as # of LED's or values of the resistors? I'm about to place an order with Mouser but I guess i have to commit to one design first.

  4. #4
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    good to know that it works. did you incorperate any changes to the design such as # of LED's or values of the resistors? I'm about to place an order with Mouser but I guess i have to commit to one design first.
    Yeah, I changed the voltage and increased the LEDs. The 555 timer will work with up to 15V. Make sure that you choose the right values for the current-limiting resistors, based on the forward voltage of the LEDs, the current they're operating at, the voltage of the power supply, and the voltage drop of the transistor.

    Oh, also be sure to decide on the blink frequency you want, and calculate the values of the resistors and capacitors.
    www.rebel-cycles.com

    The official Canadian dealer of TW-Bents recumbent bicycles!

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how well does your 40 LED taillight work?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •