Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-07, 10:09 AM   #1
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
475 lumens!

well, i had purchased a fenix l2d premium and i had a cygolite nitro xm, giving me 175 lumens and a 10 watt light. They just didn't go to well together...the led and halogen combo isn't great...so i sold my cygolite nitro xm and picked up a NiteRider MiNewt Dual X2 Bike Light. I love how light this thing is! my old light+battery felt like it was around 2lbs where as the minewt is just under 400grams! Also the minewt outputs 300 lumens from an led light! So i think my flashlight and this headlight would look much better on the road! So i am goin to be rolling around with a combined 475 lumens! I'll be sure to post some pics when i go out for a ride tonight!
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 10:37 AM   #2
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it! Don't blind the drivers!
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:07 AM   #3
dekindy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My buddy has the Minewt X2 Dual and it is great. Just be aware they use the same size battery for the X2 as the single. You are going to have to run it on low or get an extra battery if you want to do at least a 2-hour ride. It is still a good light if you buy the extra battery. Just be aware cause my buddy's battery ran out of juice before our ride was over the other night. It was his first ride with the light so I am sure he will manage it better the next time. He will probably get an extra battery.
dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:32 AM   #4
Marrock
Senior Member
 
Marrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone given these a try yet?
Marrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 02:43 PM   #5
snowranger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A replacement battery for the minewt is $96. You can buy a whole lot of rechargeable AAs for that kind of money.
snowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 04:56 PM   #6
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
well, i had purchased a fenix l2d premium and i had a cygolite nitro xm, giving me 175 lumens and a 10 watt light. They just didn't go to well together...the led and halogen combo isn't great...so i sold my cygolite nitro xm and picked up a NiteRider MiNewt Dual X2 Bike Light. I love how light this thing is! my old light+battery felt like it was around 2lbs where as the minewt is just under 400grams! Also the minewt outputs 300 lumens from an led light! So i think my flashlight and this headlight would look much better on the road! So i am goin to be rolling around with a combined 475 lumens! I'll be sure to post some pics when i go out for a ride tonight!
Hi There,

I would so love to see a beamshot comparison. Comparing the Fenix L2D Prem. to the Dual X2. If you could get an outside shot that would be great.
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:09 PM   #7
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i just got back from my ride and a mini photo session with the new light! I love this light!! It's so compact ,lightweight and ultra bright! here are the pics!

this is me standing about 20 yards away

this is the fenix l2d premium flashlight (the fence is about 10 yards away)

this is the minewt dual x2 (the fence is about 10 yards away)

this is the fenix down a trail

this is the minewt down the trail

i paced off 50 yards and set the minwewt down on the ground and took this pic

this is a video i shot tonight while on the bike...sorry bout the audio quality/ video quality but you can kind of get an idea of what its like...notice the comparison to the car light that passes me...i am just holding the camera in my hand and i just have a point and shoot digi cam so the light doesnt show up as bright as it really is (as you can see from the above pics) but overall im very impressed with this light!

http://www.dailymotion.com/plow13/vi...ght-ride_sport

Last edited by Plow13; 10-04-07 at 11:40 PM.
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 11:49 PM   #8
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like plenty of light!

In the first photo, did you have only the NiteRider MiNewt shining on you or were both that and the Fenix on? Or were you using the Fenix as a helmet light?
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 08:11 AM   #9
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the first photo is just the minewt
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 08:19 AM   #10
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
the first photo is just the minewt
Hmmm, looks to me with a light that bright (if the photos are relatively accurate in terms of brightness)you might not need the Fenix at all (except perhaps as a backup for longer rides where you might drain the MiNewt battery).

So...did it work out at all for using the Fenix and the MiNewt at the same time? Or did the Fenix get lost in the MiNewt's light? Any other thoughts or evaluation notes on that?
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 09:20 AM   #11
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had the fenix mounted on my helmet with some velco straps but i didn't like it too much. It was heavy or anything but i just didn't set it up properly. The fenix was pointed to far down and not far enough away. but when i did tilt my head up and put the fenix beam into the minewt beam, it just got lost. Even though it's 175 lumens, the beam width just gets swallowed up. I think i am going to keep my fenix in my saddle bag and keep it as emergency / extended rides that weren't planned at night. You can ride with just one fenix l2d but not at full speed. I could see two of the fenix l2ds being bright enough to do some riding, but with just the one i have, you can't go full out like i can with the minewt.
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 11:07 AM   #12
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback!

One last question: With the MiNewt Dual X2, how does it work for relatively sharp cornering and winding/twisting paths? That is, when cornering or on twisty paths (if you took any paths like that), do you think a helmet light would be helpful or does the MiNewt Dual X2 put out such a wide swath of light that you don't think a helmet light would be needed?

I know these are a lot of questions for one ride, but if you had any thoughts on these things yet if would be nice to know.
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 11:24 AM   #13
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i did some sharp cornering downhill last night and i had no problems at all...The beam is really wide so i wanna say the beam shoots out bout 10-15ft on each side of the bike...by all means it wasnt as bright as the center but it was bright enough to see any pot holes or anything else that could cause trouble
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 12:45 PM   #14
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
well i did some sharp cornering downhill last night and i had no problems at all...The beam is really wide so i wanna say the beam shoots out bout 10-15ft on each side of the bike...by all means it wasnt as bright as the center but it was bright enough to see any pot holes or anything else that could cause trouble
Wow, sounds great. Looks like you've got yourself a nice setup.

(Makes me itch to get my hands on that new NiteRider TriNewt. If I had an extra $300, that's about what it can be had for via Performance Bicycle right now, with a slight sale and 20 percent discount coupon...and members would be credited another $30-some-odd dollars or so toward other purchases. That makes it almost tempt me enough to get it. My only problem is the "extra $300" part... )
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 04:32 PM   #15
Plow13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Plow13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just give up food for a couple of days! you will be lighter on the bike too! hahah
Plow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 05:00 PM   #16
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plow13 View Post
just give up food for a couple of days! you will be lighter on the bike too! hahah
I'd have to give up food for a month and by then I'd be too weak to ride. But I'd have a very nice light.
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 11:06 AM   #17
ceridwen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the MiNewt X2 dual as well and am very happy with it. I got it for ~$200 shipped from REI which seemed like a good price. Not as cheap as multiple flashlights maybe but it is very easy to switch from one bike to another and I love the small size and low weight, especially given the position on the handlebars.

The light pattern is pretty wide but not as wide as that from my old light (10W halogen). It works pretty well for most cornering, except for a couple of spots on my ride where I have to make 90 degree (or tighter) turns at really low speed.

I haven't taken pics yet (should really do that) but I use a helmet mounted light (see the $16 headlamp from Costco thread) that I think is a great supplement to the X2 Dual. It gives me the ability to flash cars that attempt to pull out in front of me and see around the tight corners in really dark areas a little better. Plus I can look for gators in the river next to the MUP when I ride home at night!

I can't imagine that headlamp weighs much less than the flashlight but I think the position of the battery pack at the back of the helmet distributes the weight better and makes it less of a problem. It might be worth considering as a budget option to add a helmet light.
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:14 PM   #18
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
I have the MiNewt X2 dual as well and am very happy with it. I got it for ~$200 shipped from REI which seemed like a good price. Not as cheap as multiple flashlights maybe but it is very easy to switch from one bike to another and I love the small size and low weight, especially given the position on the handlebars.

The light pattern is pretty wide but not as wide as that from my old light (10W halogen). It works pretty well for most cornering, except for a couple of spots on my ride where I have to make 90 degree (or tighter) turns at really low speed.

I haven't taken pics yet (should really do that) but I use a helmet mounted light (see the $16 headlamp from Costco thread) that I think is a great supplement to the X2 Dual. It gives me the ability to flash cars that attempt to pull out in front of me and see around the tight corners in really dark areas a little better. Plus I can look for gators in the river next to the MUP when I ride home at night!

I can't imagine that headlamp weighs much less than the flashlight but I think the position of the battery pack at the back of the helmet distributes the weight better and makes it less of a problem. It might be worth considering as a budget option to add a helmet light.
Any idea how this would compare to Cygolite's DualCross Pro? I read somewhere they give out the same amount of light, ~300 lumens. But am not sure. I am hoping that the DualCross Pro will yield about the same amount of light as the X2. I am using a Fenix L2D as well.
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:20 PM   #19
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
I have the MiNewt X2 dual as well and am very happy with it. I got it for ~$200 shipped from REI which seemed like a good price. Not as cheap as multiple flashlights maybe . . .
On the flashlight cost, if someone were to do a setup just like I have, it would be in the neighborhood of $200 for the cost of three Fenix L2D Premium 100 flashlights (after current Fenix-Store discounts), batteries for each, and a set of three mounts (two for handlebar, one for helmet). So costs seems to be about even.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
I can't imagine that headlamp weighs much less than the flashlight but I think the position of the battery pack at the back of the helmet distributes the weight better and makes it less of a problem. It might be worth considering as a budget option to add a helmet light.
Another nice helmet option is to consider a very short flashlight like the Fenix P2D, which uses only one CR123 battery or equivalent rechargeable. If that were smartly mounted, it would be a pretty small helmet add-on, have a great power-to-size/weight ratio, and be self contained (about a $60 add-on in terms of helmet light cost). For added run time, if needed, an extra battery can be carried along.

Note on weight of Fenix L2D Premium 100: Flashlight with batteries weighs about 116 grams. Flashlight, batteries, and TwoFish Lockblock mount weighs about 128 grams. Using a Bikeblock instead of a Lockblock bumps the total weigh up to 134 grams.
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:25 PM   #20
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
On the flashlight cost, if someone were to do a setup just like I have, it would be in the neighborhood of $200 for the cost of three Fenix L2D Premium 100 flashlights (after current Fenix-Store discounts), batteries for each, and a set of three mounts (two for handlebar, one for helmet). So costs seems to be about even.
Thing with that though is I used the equivalent of 3 L2D's from Fenix, and combined them, and they don't seem as bright.

It appears that the Minewt Dual X2 would put out a lot more light than 3 Fenix's. Also, Fenix inflates their light output. They use the theoretical lumens the bulb puts out and not what it actually puts out.
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:54 PM   #21
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy
 
varuscelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: League City, Texas
Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun View Post
Thing with that though is I used the equivalent of 3 L2D's from Fenix, and combined them, and they don't seem as bright.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the MiNewt Dual X2 with battery pack puts out more light -- and seeing as it's designed as a bike light, it should produce a different . . . hmmm . . . "quality" of beam tailored to the needs of a bike rider.

But, as a side note, what is the equivalent of the L2Ds you were testing? It might be worth noting that the L2D Premium 100 (Rebel) flashlights are apparently quite a bit brighter than the L2D CE flashlights. (The L2D Premium 100s are rated by Fenix at 175 lumens in turbo compared to 135 lumens in turbo for the L2D CE. Whether or not the 175 lumens is strictly accurate, they are likely still much brighter than the previous model according to the relative specs stated by Fenix.) Just something to take into account if you weren't actually testing the L2D Premium 100 lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun View Post
It appears that the Minewt Dual X2 would put out a lot more light than 3 Fenix's. Also, Fenix inflates their light output. They use the theoretical lumens the bulb puts out and not what it actually puts out.
Yeah, I've heard that, too, about the Fenix lights (about stated output). On the other hand, the same can often be said about other light manufactures and the way they use stated output. On the NiteRiders...are they honest about actual output? Or do they perhaps inflate the stated output a bit, too...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dispute anything (I believe what your saying), since the eye won't lie to you if you view the lights side by side. But in reality, that's the only way to tell -- to view actual lights side by side -- or in the very least to get as carefully and objectively done photos done of both at the same time and under the same conditions for relative brightness comparisons.
varuscelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 01:05 PM   #22
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt that the MiNewt Dual X2 with battery pack puts out more light -- and seeing as it's designed as a bike light, it should produce a different . . . hmmm . . . "quality" of beam tailored to the needs of a bike rider.

But, as a side note, what is the equivalent of the L2Ds you were testing? It might be worth noting that the L2D Premium 100 (Rebel) flashlights are apparently quite a bit brighter than the L2D CE flashlights. (The L2D Premium 100s are rated by Fenix at 175 lumens in turbo compared to 135 lumens in turbo for the L2D CE. Whether or not the 175 lumens is strictly accurate, they are likely still much brighter than the previous model according to the relative specs stated by Fenix.) Just something to take into account if you weren't actually testing the L2D Premium 100 lights.



Yeah, I've heard that, too, about the Fenix lights (about stated output). On the other hand, the same can often be said about other light manufactures and the way they use stated output. On the NiteRiders...are they honest about actual output? Or do they perhaps inflate the stated output a bit, too...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dispute anything (I believe what your saying), since the eye won't lie to you if you view the lights side by side. But in reality, that's the only way to tell -- to view actual lights side by side -- or in the very least to get as carefully and objectively done photos done of both at the same time and under the same conditions for relative brightness comparisons.
I used the P3D Premium 100 and compared it against the L2D CE, and there was not much difference I could tell. I also have a 240 lumen Q2. It is only marginally brighter.
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 10:23 AM   #23
Giro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrock View Post
Has anyone given these a try yet?
Got one of these LED replacements for an incadescent bulb. It is a bit brighter than the halogen incadescent plus stays lit for a much longer time. However, for the price I would consider if it were better to just buy a complete LED light unless there was a special reason you want to use your present light. In my case, the light was a diver's light which easily mounted on a bike.

The good LED replacement bulbs have polarity protection so they are not instantly destroyed if the polarity is reversed. This is more likely than you think because flashlights have the reverse polarity of lanterns that use the large, rectangular lantern batteries.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.