Just finish the upgrade of my Dual Cross 300 light head.
Replaced the Luxeon led with Cree Q5 stars ordered from
Job took about 30 minutes with a bit of soldering which is a bit messy given access is limited and the contacts on the Led stars are galvanised so solder doesn't adhere as well.
1) Use flux from a pen on the Cree Q5 contacts and let completely dry, otherwise solder will not adhere to the contacts.
2) Easier to cut old wires connecting the luxeon stars as solder joints are covered with some sort of epoxy. There is plenty of wire inside the casing to extend the leads. Then just unscrew the 2 screws holding the Luxeon star to the heatsink.
3) Put a drop of solder on Cree contacts before attaching the led stars to the silver heat sink.
4) Attach stars to heat sink via the 2 screws and then feed connecting wires through heat sink.
5) Add a drop of solder to leads
6) Solder + and - wires by joining both drops of solder.
7) Clean inner surface of main lenses and Cree lens
Light is definitely brighter using both the Ni-MH battery and the Li-Ion
So for US 20.00 its definitely worth it.
I'll post some comparison photos later in the week, between the old luxeon light head and the new Cree version.