First off, I'm really not lazy or trying to get others to do my homework. I have been researching this for over a week, but I'm not an electrician. All the information out there has been really overwhelming, so now I just need someone to tell me exactly what I need to buy for this conversion.
I've asked at some lighting and electronics forums, but I really think they are tiring of my ignorance.
I've got a NR Trail Rat Select, so it runs a 15w halogen off of a 4.0 Ah-6 Volt NiMH battery. The problem is that my commute is anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours, each way. This thing conks out at just under an hour and a half. I don't need the full brunt of the 15w halogen except on the parts of my commute where there are no street lights.
In an effort to extend the run time and possibly drop my backup light, I'd like to change out the halogen bulb for a Cree XR-E. If I can hook this up with a dimmer switch, I can run it at half or 1/3 power for most of my commute and just kick it up to full power when I need it.
Here's what I know I need to buy, so far:
1. RC helicopter engine heat sink
2. 1/2-inch copper end cap
3. Cree XR-E LED emiter
Here's the stuff I'm getting conflicting info on or I'm just not clear which option to buy:
1. A reflector (I want one that will focus the light on a fairly narrow area)
2. An optic of some sort (this is different from the reflector, right?)
3. A BuckPuck (there's a slew of options here. I think I need the 6v/350 mAh setup) which side of the circuit board does this wire into?
4. A circuit board (is this where the "dim-ability" needs to be?)
5. An external switch (or can I modify the Trail Rat's "On/Off" switch and make it work as a dimmer?)