Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-08, 04:14 PM   #1
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garmin Edge 605 & 705 Tips, Tricks & Bugs

Well, these devices are finally in consumers hands. Folks have been posting early items in this thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post6279300

It was started as a pre-release thread. Lets move all the tips, tricks, bugs, etc to this new thread here.

I did my 2nd ride today with the new 705. I will post some of my info shortly however I need to get some work done first, go figure!

In the mean time everyone else please post away.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 06:42 PM   #2
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are some pictures from todays ride during and after. I had uploaded a route from Mapsource and was testing the navigation features. I will elaborate on my findings in a seperate reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_002.jpg (26.4 KB, 785 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_003.jpg (27.0 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_004.jpg (27.0 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_005.jpg (26.5 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_006.jpg (25.9 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_007.jpg (27.5 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_008.jpg (24.1 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_009.jpg (24.1 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_010.jpg (22.3 KB, 504 views)
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 07:04 PM   #3
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It sure is Purty! I am on the fence though. My 305 works fine. and the trail of breadcrumbs navigation works fine for me. I don't generally just go out and ride. If I am in unfamiliar territory I simply make a route ahead of time and then follow the line.

But the geek urge is strong in me so...
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 07:38 PM   #4
kwrides
Senior Member
 
kwrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the anticipation thread, it was suggested that the new units are no better than the 305 in that you can't map a route and then get the Garmin to auto insert the turns. Is that true? Do I still have to add the turns myself?
kwrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:40 PM   #5
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
In the anticipation thread, it was suggested that the new units are no better than the 305 in that you can't map a route and then get the Garmin to auto insert the turns. Is that true? Do I still have to add the turns myself?
No, it will auto route just fine. You do need a program like Mapsource with maps installed to get the full benefit out of it. It will warn you as you approach the turn and then when you are at it for all turns, not juest the ones that you have place a point at.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:53 PM   #6
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big question, how is the battery life.. It is the one thing I dislike about the 305, 10 hours max is pretty bad. With a color screen how good is it?

The strange thing is that I can get 2 days on 2-aa batteries with my Etrex Vista HCX.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:14 PM   #7
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Big question, how is the battery life.. It is the one thing I dislike about the 305, 10 hours max is pretty bad. With a color screen how good is it?

The strange thing is that I can get 2 days on 2-aa batteries with my Etrex Vista HCX.
Can't answer that one for you yet very well. Give me a week and I will be able to give a better response.

I charged it last night until it showed charged but no longer and did a ride today. I found with my 305 that the battery charge was optimal if I left it overnight to continue to trickle charge even after the indicator said it was charged.

The battery indicator is no longer 4 bars like on the 305. It is now a solid battery that appears to slowly empty and change colors as it drains.

I can tell you after about 2 hours of use today it went down about 1/8 approximately. So in a very un-scientific calculation that would indicate about 16 hours.

Edit - w/ a little back light use while playing on the way home!

Last edited by luv2climb; 03-04-08 at 09:20 PM.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:18 PM   #8
obra3
Little Pony
 
obra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Correct- 16 hours. (without backlight on of course)
obra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:33 PM   #9
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is 16 hours what the spec says, what is real world battery length..
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:39 PM   #10
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Is 16 hours what the spec says, what is real world battery length..
Garmin quotes 15 hours on the website for the 705 and 12 for the 305. The 16 above is an estimation of real world.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:34 PM   #11
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, finally have some time to elaborate on todays ride and pic's above.

Being able to finally use a route on the device is nice. A course can take time to create! I have found some bugs that I will discuss but I want to stress that all the issues I list below are software issues that Garmin will be able to fix in upcoming updates. We had many similar to these when the 305 first came out and they were all fixed over time.

For the ride I created a route in Mapsource using City Navigator North America v8 and copied the GPX file to to the SD card on the 705 using File Explorer.

When I started the route I noticed that it did not follow the route in the same as Mapsource did for the entire route. Many sections were smack on though.

When viewing the route on the map page (IMAGE_003 and IMAGE_008) there we some straight line paths shown that were not part of the route at all. The unit did not try and follow these paths, these appear to an issue when it draws the route on the map page only.

The turn by turn direction screen (IMAGE_004) displayed everything accurately except the total distance and the total time remaining at the bottom of the screen. These same fields did not work when on the top of the map page (IMAGE_008).

When I got to the end of the ride at the last waypoint the unit showed that I had 8,807 miles left to go(IMAGE_009). Wow, that would be a long ride!

The elevation scale on the elevation page did not scale to match the profile of the ride like the 305 does (IMAGE_010). However about 1/3 of the way through the ride it was scaling just fine (IMAGE_006).

If you have any question feel free to ask. Tomorrow I will create a course from this ride and then follow it. I will post my results tomorrow.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:49 PM   #12
jmntn2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does it alert you to turns? Does it have voice prompts like on the garmin car unit or is it simply a beep?
jmntn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 11:01 PM   #13
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmntn2000 View Post
How does it alert you to turns? Does it have voice prompts like on the garmin car unit or is it simply a beep?
It alerts you with a beep. On screen it will tell you the name of the street and shows a map of the turn if you are following a route. It also tells you the distance to the turn and the ETE (minutes & seconds) till the turn.

Can't address how it shows a course yet. I will be testing that tomorrow.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 09:31 AM   #14
kwrides
Senior Member
 
kwrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2climb View Post
No, it will auto route just fine. You do need a program like Mapsource with maps installed to get the full benefit out of it. It will warn you as you approach the turn and then when you are at it for all turns, not juest the ones that you have place a point at.
Thanks for the reply, but this wasn't actually my question.

Personally, I don't see any value in the "auto routing" because I rarely just go explore on my bike. Instead, I map the ride prior to riding it. With the 305, you have to map the route, and then map each and every turn "prompt" yourself so that the 305 tells me when to turn. I'm looking for the ability to map the ride, but not tell Garmin when to promt me, but instead for it to know to tell me to "turn left" because I mapped it.

I hope that makes sense, I admit I'm having trouble saying it, but I assume everyone else would like this feature too.
kwrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:39 AM   #15
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
Thanks for the reply, but this wasn't actually my question.

Personally, I don't see any value in the "auto routing" because I rarely just go explore on my bike. Instead, I map the ride prior to riding it. With the 305, you have to map the route, and then map each and every turn "prompt" yourself so that the 305 tells me when to turn. I'm looking for the ability to map the ride, but not tell Garmin when to promt me, but instead for it to know to tell me to "turn left" because I mapped it.

I hope that makes sense, I admit I'm having trouble saying it, but I assume everyone else would like this feature too.
Routes and Course are two different ways of planning a ride. What you are referring to is a Course, I was talking about a Route.

A Route is where you put in several key points along your ride and the GPS unit chooses the streets you will be riding on. It will prompt you at EVERY turn as I mentioned above, you do not need to tell it where you will be turning. If you get off the route it will update/change the route to get you to the next point on the route that you have programmed in.

A Course (which is what you are talking about) is more of a bread crumb trail that you follow. The unit will only prompt you with a turn warning if YOU have programmed it in. If you get of the course it will not update the course to get you back to it, that is up to you. It will however beep and warn you that you are off the course. That said, with the ability to have full detail maps on the 705 it is very easy to get back onto your course.

I have not used the course feature on a ride yet. I am doing that today. I will post the results this afternoon/evening.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:49 AM   #16
kenshinvt
Senior Member
 
kenshinvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2climb View Post
I have found some bugs that I will discuss...
Thanks for the mini-review & pics.

From what it looks like, you've created a route and the device gave you the turn-by-turn instructions based on that pre-planned route 100% correctly as expected. However, there were a lot of bugs with the statistics (distance remaining, etc) and map drawing (weird points, etc). Is that summary pretty much correct?

If so, I'm glad to hear that at least the 705 will work 100% as a digital cue sheet.

edit: i see a new post distinguishes this as a route and not a "course". I'm interested to see the course results now, which seem to be the cue sheet equivalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
Personally, I don't see any value in the "auto routing" because I rarely just go explore on my bike. Instead, I map the ride prior to riding it. With the 305, you have to map the route, and then map each and every turn "prompt" yourself so that the 305 tells me when to turn. I'm looking for the ability to map the ride, but not tell Garmin when to prompt me, but instead for it to know to tell me to "turn left" because I mapped it.

I hope that makes sense, I admit I'm having trouble saying it, but I assume everyone else would like this feature too.
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well, and I'm sure you are correct in thinking this is a big motivation for most cyclists to buy the 705.. i.e., it working as a "interactive" cue sheet database.
kenshinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:18 AM   #17
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinvt View Post
Thanks for the mini-review & pics.

From what it looks like, you've created a route and the device gave you the turn-by-turn instructions based on that pre-planned route 100% correctly as expected. However, there were a lot of bugs with the statistics (distance remaining, etc) and map drawing (weird points, etc). Is that summary pretty much correct?
You are correct on all points except for the "100% correctly" part. It did have issues with one part of the ride. For one section of about 4 miles it did not want to follow the exact route that I planned in Mapsource. It was a loop within the ride. The 705 wanted me to go the opposite direction of the Mapsource route as I planned. Maybe I need to add another point in the route and try it again. Note, when I got to this section of the ride it did update the route because of the auto-routing feature and it did see that I was going the opposite direction. Does that make sense?


The balance of the ride it was fine.
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 12:10 PM   #18
chapman_164
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norton, Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tend to do a lot of queued rides so being able to program in a specific "course" sounds wonderful. What's the best program to use to create courses with pre-programmed turn indicators? I've used Delorme TOPO USA in the past (but don't have a current copy) and was pretty happy with it but I'm not sure how compatible it is with the 705.

Also, has anybody tried the 705 with polarized sunglasses? I've seen computers before that aren't readable with these.

Thanks.
chapman_164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 01:44 PM   #19
obra3
Little Pony
 
obra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman_164 View Post
I tend to do a lot of queued rides so being able to program in a specific "course" sounds wonderful. What's the best program to use to create courses with pre-programmed turn indicators? I've used Delorme TOPO USA in the past (but don't have a current copy) and was pretty happy with it but I'm not sure how compatible it is with the 705.

Also, has anybody tried the 705 with polarized sunglasses? I've seen computers before that aren't readable with these.

Thanks.
http://www.gpsies.com
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/

Yes. Seems fine with my glasses.
obra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 07:23 PM   #20
kwrides
Senior Member
 
kwrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2climb View Post
Routes and Course are two different ways of planning a ride. What you are referring to is a Course, I was talking about a Route.

A Route is where you put in several key points along your ride and the GPS unit chooses the streets you will be riding on. It will prompt you at EVERY turn as I mentioned above, you do not need to tell it where you will be turning. If you get off the route it will update/change the route to get you to the next point on the route that you have programmed in.

A Course (which is what you are talking about) is more of a bread crumb trail that you follow. The unit will only prompt you with a turn warning if YOU have programmed it in. If you get of the course it will not update the course to get you back to it, that is up to you. It will however beep and warn you that you are off the course. That said, with the ability to have full detail maps on the 705 it is very easy to get back onto your course.

I have not used the course feature on a ride yet. I am doing that today. I will post the results this afternoon/evening.
You're absolutely right, I meant a Course. Sorry for the confusion. Looking forward to your report.

For the poster who asked how you use this best, there are lots of websites out there. The best one I've found is called "MapMyRide.com". Here's a sample: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...hire/519429490

The downside to this is that it takes a while to map it online, then you have to save it to your desktop as a .crs file to upload to the garmin training center software. In TC, you can then add your turns MANUALLY, and then upload it to the 305, which will tell you when to turn, how far it is to the next turn, etc. This is a real time consuming pain and I was hoping the 705 would fix that.
kwrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:21 PM   #21
luv2climb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, ride #3 is now in the bag. The goal of this ride was to test the Course usage on the 705.

I started by downloading the the ride from yesterday that I tested the route feature on from the 705 into Training Center. I then created a new course from this record and added turns and other points along the route in Training Center.

At the start of the ride the first thing I noticed was that the goal time on the course screen was 71 minutes. Funny thing is that the ride from yesterday only took me 61 minutes and 6 seconds. Not sure were it got 71 minutes from. I also tried to upload this course to my 305. It would upload but would crash the 305 if I tried to follow it. Is this an issue with Training Center or the 705, I don't know? I will try to create new course file from todays ride and see what happens again.

The next thing I noticed on the course screen is that it would tell you the distance to the next point, show you the icon you selected in Training Center, but not the name of the point that was entered. The 305 would tell you the name of the point also. The time to next point feature did not work for the entire ride. However on the compass screen it would tell you the time, distance and name of the next point. See IMAGE_012 and IMAGE_018.

The time error above seemed to effect the virtual partner also. From the start of the ride the partner was behind and never did catch up despite the fact that I completed todays ride about 30 seconds slower than the file that was used to create the course. Since I was 30 seconds slower the partner should have finished before I did. In fact by the end of the ride the partner was 3.65 miles behind. See IMAGE_016 and IMAGE_019.

The only time the unit prompted me for anything was at the preprogrammed points that I entered in Training Center. Unlike a route it does not prompt you at every turn, only what you have programed. See previous post for descriptions of what a course and a route are.

If you get off the course it does not reroute you, it just tells you are off course.

Basically, the course features are the same as the 305. The main difference is that the map pages now have maps available and you would be able to get back on course using them.

Just like my review of the route feature, there are several software bugs that need fixed. Updates will surely address this issues.

Tomorrows test will be of the course feature again except based on todays ride file but instead of having Training Center create the course I will take it out of the loop and have the 705 create it. This may help to determine where the issue is.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_012.jpg (25.3 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_016.jpg (22.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_019.jpg (22.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_018.jpg (22.7 KB, 155 views)
luv2climb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 07:43 AM   #22
chapman_164
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norton, Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
For the poster who asked how you use this best, there are lots of websites out there. The best one I've found is called "MapMyRide.com". Here's a sample: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...hire/519429490

The downside to this is that it takes a while to map it online, then you have to save it to your desktop as a .crs file to upload to the garmin training center software. In TC, you can then add your turns MANUALLY, and then upload it to the 305, which will tell you when to turn, how far it is to the next turn, etc. This is a real time consuming pain and I was hoping the 705 would fix that.
Thanks for the info. That's helpful. Based on my first look at Training Center it seems like it could be a little cumbersome to use. What I was really hoping for was to be able to use Delorme TOPO USA 7 or Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 to create course files, including named course points, directly but I'm weary of buying one of these products without knowing which would work best for this. Has anyone tried to use either product in this way? One feature I really like in Delorme's product is the autorouting (so you don't have to trace the road or trail - just pick the key intersections and it will automatically follow the twists and turns in the road or trail) so perhaps this would be nice to have anyway. At worst I suppose I could export .gpx from TOPO USA, convert it to .crs using gpsbabel, import it into Training Center to add course points, then send it to the 705.
chapman_164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 08:50 AM   #23
kwrides
Senior Member
 
kwrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2climb View Post
Ok, ride #3 is now in the bag. The goal of this ride was to test the Course usage on the 705.

I started by downloading the the ride from yesterday that I tested the route feature on from the 705 into Training Center. I then created a new course from this record and added turns and other points along the route in Training Center.

At the start of the ride the first thing I noticed was that the goal time on the course screen was 71 minutes. Funny thing is that the ride from yesterday only took me 61 minutes and 6 seconds. Not sure were it got 71 minutes from. I also tried to upload this course to my 305. It would upload but would crash the 305 if I tried to follow it. Is this an issue with Training Center or the 705, I don't know? I will try to create new course file from todays ride and see what happens again.

The next thing I noticed on the course screen is that it would tell you the distance to the next point, show you the icon you selected in Training Center, but not the name of the point that was entered. The 305 would tell you the name of the point also. The time to next point feature did not work for the entire ride. However on the compass screen it would tell you the time, distance and name of the next point. See IMAGE_012 and IMAGE_018.

The time error above seemed to effect the virtual partner also. From the start of the ride the partner was behind and never did catch up despite the fact that I completed todays ride about 30 seconds slower than the file that was used to create the course. Since I was 30 seconds slower the partner should have finished before I did. In fact by the end of the ride the partner was 3.65 miles behind. See IMAGE_016 and IMAGE_019.

The only time the unit prompted me for anything was at the preprogrammed points that I entered in Training Center. Unlike a route it does not prompt you at every turn, only what you have programed. See previous post for descriptions of what a course and a route are.

If you get off the course it does not reroute you, it just tells you are off course.

Basically, the course features are the same as the 305. The main difference is that the map pages now have maps available and you would be able to get back on course using them.

Just like my review of the route feature, there are several software bugs that need fixed. Updates will surely address this issues.

Tomorrows test will be of the course feature again except based on todays ride file but instead of having Training Center create the course I will take it out of the loop and have the 705 create it. This may help to determine where the issue is.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them.
Well, not what I hoped to hear, but BIG thanks for doing this and posting to help the rest of us!
kwrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:14 AM   #24
Johannes
Senior Member
 
Johannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Bikes: 2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i tried to upload a history file from my 705 to garmin connect. i tried this with firefox, safari, and internet explorer on windowsXP and mac osX with the same result in all browsers and on both platforms.

the history file is NOT corrupted and works just fine when imported into Ascent (http://www.montebellosoftware.com./index.html)

i installed the plugin. it passed the test on the garmin test page:
http://www.adriandavidson.com/screenshotT.jpg
the default upload results in:
http://www.adriandavidson.com/screenshotB.jpg
the manual upload results in:
http://www.adriandavidson.com/screenshotA.jpg

any tips would be very much appreciated.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:17 AM   #25
Johannes
Senior Member
 
Johannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Bikes: 2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another small issue:
i had the new 705 on the charger (wall plug) all night, but the battery level indicator never made it above 50%. i had it on the USB cable connected to my PC after that for a few more hours but the indicator never made it above 50%.

any ideas what this is all about?

thanks.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.