Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Recommend a bar?

    I had a Minoura Swinggrip on my bike that I mounted a GPS and bike computer on. While riding last week it disintegrated on me. Looked to be metal fatigue. Can anyone recommend something better? This is going on a road bike.

  2. #2
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,600
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    I had a Minoura Swinggrip on my bike that I mounted a GPS and bike computer on. While riding last week it disintegrated on me. Looked to be metal fatigue. Can anyone recommend something better? This is going on a road bike.
    Go with the SpaceBar from Performance. Same as the Minoura without the swing part (probably made by Minoura)
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  3. #3
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    I had a Minoura Swinggrip on my bike that I mounted a GPS and bike computer on. While riding last week it disintegrated on me. Looked to be metal fatigue. Can anyone recommend something better? This is going on a road bike.
    Mine broke too, near point where it clamps to bar/seatpost, after very limited use. Couldn't take the load of 3 taillights + 4AAAs + 2AAs.

    I think its a poor design. I doubt the Perf will be any better since its just a rebadged minoura.

    You could possibly run a steering tube extender, then mount a long second stem and cut-down flat bar a few inches above your drop bar. It would be heavy, look very odd and possibly interfere with normal bar, but would certainly hold up to most anything you could choose to mount.

  4. #4
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I have decided to just mount on the handlebars. I think I have enough room to squeeze in a light for the few times I ride at night

  5. #5
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,600
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by see[CENTER
    ker333;6371052]Mine broke too, near point where it clamps to bar/seatpost, after very limited use. Couldn't take the load of 3 taillights + 4AAAs + 2AAs.

    I think its a poor design. I doubt the Perf will be any better since its just a rebadged minoura.

    You could possibly run a steering tube extender, then mount a long second stem and cut-down flat bar a few inches above your drop bar. It would be heavy, look very odd and possibly interfere with normal bar, but would certainly hold up to most anything you could choose to mount.
    I'm talking about 2 different mounts.


    The one on the left is the Swinggrip and is probably less durable then the Performance model. I don't know that you could break the Performance one. I have several of them and they are very rugged. I have replaced the bar with a 1" aluminum tube however.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw away the swinggrip like I did after 2 days. Everything mounted to it shook when riding. I hated that. I bought a Nitto Lamp Holder 2 AND LOVE IT. EVERYTHING that's mounted to it stays as still as if it was mounted on my handlebars. Sure it's heavier but it's worth it when riding and not having your light bounce all over the road. You can also get a Nitto Lamp Holder 1 that has one very strong secure mount that will work better than the swinggrip.

    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...15872ba42d333d

    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...15872ba42d333d

  7. #7
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    I'm talking about 2 different mounts.


    The one on the left is the Swinggrip and is probably less durable then the Performance model. I don't know that you could break the Performance one. I have several of them and they are very rugged. I have replaced the bar with a 1" aluminum tube however.
    Mine broke right at the point where the bar joins the arm. The metal just snapped in two. I had a Garmin GPS60csx and a Garmin Edge 305 mounted on it. If I decide to get another bar I'll go with the Nitto. It soes look a lot sturdier.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin GPS60csx and 2 lights (1 uses 4aa batteries and the other uses 2 aa batteries) mounted on my Nitto. I haven't had ANY problems in 600 or so miles even riding on gravel and dirt trails.

    Actually I just remembered I have some photos of my bike online. It doesnít show the 2nd light but you can see how much room there is and how itís mounted.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgeta...546909/detail/

  9. #9
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,600
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Mine broke right at the point where the bar joins the arm. The metal just snapped in two. I had a Garmin GPS60csx and a Garmin Edge 305 mounted on it. If I decide to get another bar I'll go with the Nitto. It soes look a lot sturdier.
    The two models do have different methods of attaching the bar to the arm. The Swinggrip looks flimsy to me. I've never needed the ability to swing the bar out of the way so I went with the cheap version. I have been using a couple of them for many years now and, with the exception of replacing the bar with something better, I've never had a problem.

    I have another product called the Sidetrak which works well too...perhaps a little better than the Nitto and it's cheaper but I thought it was out of production until I found the website above.


    On my bike. Note that the bar can't rotate past a certain point because it's under the stem. That has it pluses and minuses.





    Here's what the SpaceBar looks like on my other bike.

    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •