Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 738
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Nail Trail
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question The best headlights under $50 thread

    Just looking for something cheap but effective. This isn't really for any nighttime riding on the regular, but more for those times when I'm coming from a friend's house at night, for example.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Cateye EL-500, I like it alot! You can probably get one for under $50

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This light with a Two Fish holder would be great. You'd have enough money leftover for a charger and batteries too.

    http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...CREE-Q5/Detail

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Nail Trail
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that's not a flashlight? Seems like the last two suggestions were flashlights.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
    Anything that's not a flashlight? Seems like the last two suggestions were flashlights.
    Many of us use flashlights with a bike mount. Believe it or not, but they make a great and extremely bright bike light for a fraction of the cost of a bike specific light. For such a small budget you aren't going to get much beyond a little blinkey front light if you insist on a bike specific light.

  7. #7
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight. $45.90 free ship.
    Brighter than automobile headlights on high mode, medium and low power modes for longer run times. Flash modes make you visible even in bright daylight.
    P7 flashlights are selling out almost as fast as there listed. Hurry if you want one.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Inthe10ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen NiteRider Trail Rat 2.0/Road Rat 2.0 systems online for $70 on sale every now and again...
    It's 20 bucks more here, but with free shipping...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Rat+20+06.aspx
    Or you could opt for this blackburn system.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...System+X6.aspx

    Neither of these systems are the latest or greatest, but they have come down quite a bit in price.
    This is a big step up from the "be seen" lights to the "lights to see with" catagory. You will not be disapointed... Cheers!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Many of us use flashlights with a bike mount. Believe it or not, but they make a great and extremely bright bike light for a fraction of the cost of a bike specific light. For such a small budget you aren't going to get much beyond a little blinkey front light if you insist on a bike specific light.
    I was skeptical at first also. But many of us on the forum have had a little faith and taken the advice of the original forum members that discovered the great utility and value these "flashlights".

    Don't let the bike light/flashlight packaging fool you. A cyclist that I ride with had budgeted $400 for new lights and was astounded at the output and effectiveness of these lights for cycling. He now has one "flashlight" mounted on the bars and another helmet mounted and $250 still in his pocket and could not be happier. He is retired and has been riding at night for years.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthe10ring View Post
    I have seen NiteRider Trail Rat 2.0/Road Rat 2.0 systems online for $70 on sale every now and again...
    It's 20 bucks more here, but with free shipping...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Rat+20+06.aspx
    Or you could opt for this blackburn system.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...System+X6.aspx

    Neither of these systems are the latest or greatest, but they have come down quite a bit in price.
    This is a big step up from the "be seen" lights to the "lights to see with" catagory. You will not be disapointed... Cheers!
    If you werer able to compare these directly against the fenix flashlight/holders, you would not even consider them.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post

    MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight. $45.90 free ship.
    Brighter than automobile headlights on high mode, medium and low power modes for longer run times. Flash modes make you visible even in bright daylight.
    P7 flashlights are selling out almost as fast as there listed. Hurry if you want one.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060
    I would personally stick with AA powered flashlights.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Nail Trail
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the info. Sorry for my ignorance with the flashlights. I think I'm interested in the Romisen. And at that price, I could still get 2 of them!

    Ziemas, do you know the difference with the RC-N3 and the RC-C3?

  13. #13
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
    Just looking for something cheap but effective. This isn't really for any nighttime riding on the regular, but more for those times when I'm coming from a friend's house at night, for example.
    Take your pick. No Shipping cost.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.905
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. Sorry for my ignorance with the flashlights. I think I'm interested in the Romisen. And at that price, I could still get 2 of them!

    Ziemas, do you know the difference with the RC-N3 and the RC-C3?
    The RC-N3 uses a CR123A battery, which looks like the below photo. The RC-C3 can use either a CR123A battery or standard AA rechargeable batteries. I strongly suggest that you go for the RC-C3 model because finding AA batteries and a charger is much easier should you need replacements, and the run time is very good. Also AA rechargeable are cheaper than CR123A. I use AAs in my light, and am very happy with them, plus you can use the charger to charge batteries for all the other AA and AAA batteries you stick in stuff.

    Buy the light from the link I gave you as his lights are brighter than the ones at DealExtreme (he has them specially made with brighter LEDs that the DX models), they are in stock (sometimes you need to wait a few weeks for DX to get product from their suppliers), he ships a lot faster, and they'll ship from within the US. Even when I placed an order from him to be shipped to Latvia it came very quickly.

    Have you looked for a mount yet?





  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Nail Trail
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the N3 has the AA battery option? That's what it says on the link. Anyway, I've only looked at the Two Fish holder, which seems pretty good.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
    I thought the N3 has the AA battery option? That's what it says on the link. Anyway, I've only looked at the Two Fish holder, which seems pretty good.
    You are correct. I got it backwards. Go for the N3 in the link.

  17. #17
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
    I would personally stick with AA powered flashlights.
    P7 flashlights are not available for use with AA batteries. DX has a pair of 18650 Lithium rechargeable Battery's for $10.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790
    and a fully automatic charger for $8.80.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105
    You could power a P7 flashlight for 2 hours running in high mode swapping out batteries only once. Running in low mode the flashlight will operate 8+ hours on a single Lithium battery or 4+ hours on medium mode. These two batteries would allow you to run all night in medium mode swapping out battery's once.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
    P7 flashlights are not available for use with AA batteries. DX has a pair of 18650 Lithium rechargeable Battery's for $10.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790
    and a fully automatic charger for $8.80.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105
    You could power a P7 flashlight for 2 hours running in high mode swapping out batteries only once. Running in low mode the flashlight will operate 8+ hours on a single Lithium battery or 4+ hours on medium mode. These two batteries would allow you to run all night in medium mode swapping out battery's once.
    Did you actually read the OP? He needs nothing like what you have suggested.

  19. #19
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Did you actually read the OP? He needs nothing like what you have suggested.
    I disagree. N4 posted some options worth looking at. The OP did not give a lot of detail other than the occasional trip at night from a freinds house. How far is that? How long will it take? What time of the night? What is the ambient lighting like? all of that should factor in to a decision. That said, the flashlight with multiple modes and rechargeables is a very flexible option and reasonably priced.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    I disagree. N4 posted some options worth looking at. The OP did not give a lot of detail other than the occasional trip at night from a freinds house. How far is that? How long will it take? What time of the night? What is the ambient lighting like? all of that should factor in to a decision. That said, the flashlight with multiple modes and rechargeables is a very flexible option and reasonably priced.
    Would all of that be less than $50?

  21. #21
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Would all of that be less than $50?
    $10 batteries
    $ 9 Charger
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6145
    $17 flashlight

    $36 total...add a mounting system and total for about $40 you would have an adequate lighting system for the occasional ride home at an easy pace and 1 or 2 hour ride.

    While the light originally posted by N4 was overkill, it is a very nice light.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    $10 batteries
    $ 9 Charger
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6145
    $17 flashlight

    $36 total...add a mounting system and total for about $40 you would have an adequate lighting system for the occasional ride home at an easy pace and 1 or 2 hour ride.

    While the light originally posted by N4 was overkill, it is a very nice light.
    That style of light has already been suggested, although with a brighter LED.

  23. #23
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post

    While the light originally posted by N4 was overkill, it is a very nice light.
    Lights are never overkill unless you actually kill someone or something with it!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Nail Trail
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The night ride for me would be something small...around 5 miles. Also, I already have rechargeable batteries and charger. So those items wouldn't factor into the total cost. I think I have decided on the Romisen suggested by Ziemas. Maybe the pics from this review sold me on it.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NJO View Post
    The night ride for me would be something small...around 5 miles. Also, I already have rechargeable batteries and charger. So those items wouldn't factor into the total cost. I think I have decided on the Romisen suggested by Ziemas. Maybe the pics from this review sold me on it.
    Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •