I've taken the plunge and bought some dynohubs, not knowing which were best I've bought a shimano HB-NX30 and a HB-NX32 - seemingly these are the budget end of the shimano range, are they any good ?
Anyway, I'd like to make some LED headlights as per Pilom.com.
I would like to make the Universal triple-LED headlight with perhaps a few minor alterations.
1) Obviously I will need a bridge rectifier - where should I mount it, can it be inside the headlight ?
2) Same goes for a switch, where should that be best mounted ?
3) What are the capacitors inside the headlight for ?
4) Can I run the Universal triple-LED headlight from the dynohub with just a rectifier and no voltage doubler or voltage/current control ?
Also I am in the UK so I could do with some help with my shopping list.
- Stainless steel sugar shaker (mesh shaker) - trying local shops, proving tricky to find....
- Stainless steel mounting bracket - to be arranged
- Aluminium sheet, 5mm thickness - local engineering company
- Various bolts - got these !! (well, it's a start)
- Fraen triple collimator with holder - Luxeonstar.com ?
- Luxeon Star LEDs (3ea), may be 1W or 2/3W - dealextreme.com ?
- Heat-conductive glue (I use an Arctic Silver product) - no idea
- Heatsink compound - pc stuff should work ?
- Speaker cable - can't be difficult to find
- Rubber sleeve to fit cable - ditto
- 1.0 mm acrylic glass (cut from cheap safety goggles) - aren't they polycarbonate ?
- O-ring 50mm inside diameter, 2mm thickness - any ideas anyone ?
- Electrolytic capacitors 1000uF 16V (2ea) - maplins ?
Here's where I am most confused why 1W LEDs ? Isn't the total power more likely to be about 6W ?
Supposing the LEDs have about 3.5V through each of them @ 500 mA that is still 1.75W ?
Scott has suggested buying Cree XR-E LEDs from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394
and optics and holder from http://www.luxeonstar.com/fraen-lens...ika1fqislq6a01
I found this switch in a different thread http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2656 I tried to order it but they wanted $55 for postage
Any advice very gratefully received, especially on sourcing parts in the uk.