Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Commuter First newbojeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Garmin Edge No Longer Acquiring Satellites

    I've had my Garmin Edge 205 for 1.5 years and have been very happy with it. I have used almost all of the functionality on it at one time or another.

    This weekend and into this week, I have been getting a lot more AutoPausing than usual. This is on group rides I've done dozens and dozens of times and on my commute I've done hundreds of times without problem. On a ride yesterday morning, the computer was Auto Paused for about 40-50% of the ride. Yesterday, hoping for a fix, I updated Training Center and the Edge firmware, did a hard restart and cleared the unit's memory.

    This morning, I waited 10 minutes never acquired a sufficient signal. Some of the satellite signals showed up, but it wasn't enough to pinpoint my location.

    Anyone else with a similar problem? Fix? Suggestions?
    Last edited by newbojeff; 09-10-08 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Missing word

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny California
    My Bikes
    Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a solution but you shuold cruise over to http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php and see if you find something over there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think it's broken Garmin has a policy of a flat rate for a repair based on model. My Viata model I paid $350 a few year ago will cost me $75 to be fixed. My new GPS would cost me $175(I paid $350 for it). Check it out. Cheaper than buying a new one if it is a hardware problem.

    -GadgetAdam

  4. #4
    Commuter First newbojeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did find some information on the montionbased forums that I hadn't noticed before posting here. Thanks for sending me back there, luv2climb.

    I followed a lot of the advice including reloading the firmware, clearing the memory, and leaving it outside in one place, motionless for over 30 minutes. After that, it worked fine for 2 days, but again, this past weekend, I "lost" 6 miles of a 50 mile ride because it started autopausing again.

    I'll see how far I can get with Garmin tomorrow morning, but I may just be an impatient spendthrift and buy a new one. Nashbar's got a 20% off sale running now and I need to stock up on lot of different bike parts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •