Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-08, 02:06 PM   #1
TromboneAl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Far, Far Northern California
Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planet Bike Superflash Optimized for Drive Side

I recently got a Planet Bike Superflash taillight (works great). The mounting hardware is set up so that if you put it on a chainstay, the light will be on the right side of the stay. That's how you'd want it if you were mounting it on the right side (drive side) of your bike. In fact, an illustration on the package shows it mounted on the right side.

Seems obvious to me that, at least in this country, one would want to have it mounted on the left (the traffic side).

No big deal, but why do you think they set it up that way.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 02:15 PM   #2
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I recently got a Planet Bike Superflash taillight (works great). The mounting hardware is set up so that if you put it on a chainstay, the light will be on the right side of the stay. That's how you'd want it if you were mounting it on the right side (drive side) of your bike. In fact, an illustration on the package shows it mounted on the right side.

Seems obvious to me that, at least in this country, one would want to have it mounted on the left (the traffic side).

No big deal, but why do you think they set it up that way.
I don't get you, I mount them on either side with no problem. On the left side is a bit less intuitive, but perfectly doable.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 06:02 PM   #3
rodrigaj
Senior Member
 
rodrigaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
I don't get you, I mount them on either side with no problem. On the left side is a bit less intuitive, but perfectly doable.
+1
When I had one, I never bothered caring about their picture. I just put it on the left side. Since I got the Dinotte 140L, I mounted that also on the left side with a terra cycle accessory clamp.

I'm not sure why Planet Bike shows their light on the right side, but I just ignored it.
rodrigaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 07:35 PM   #4
axelfox
Senior Member
 
axelfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put mine on the left side without even looking at the picture
axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 09:23 PM   #5
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Star City, NE
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chainstay mounting of taillights is all good in principle, but in practice it leaves a lot to be desired. Unless you have one light for each side. That wheel can *really* get in the way of the light if you're not careful. If you do use the chainstay mount, please put it high enough where at least some spill will clear the tire from the other side.
J.C. Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 03:13 AM   #6
rodrigaj
Senior Member
 
rodrigaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto View Post
Chainstay mounting of taillights is all good in principle, but in practice it leaves a lot to be desired. Unless you have one light for each side. That wheel can *really* get in the way of the light if you're not careful. If you do use the chainstay mount, please put it high enough where at least some spill will clear the tire from the other side.
+1
Which is why I eventually installed the Dinotte 140L. If a driver can't see that, they are blind. Expensive, yes, but being seen under all conditions is worth it.
rodrigaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 06:27 AM   #7
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
+1
Which is why I eventually installed the Dinotte 140L. If a driver can't see that, they are blind. Expensive, yes, but being seen under all conditions is worth it.
Exactly. If you're going to this, a better idea would be to attach another light to the rear of your hemet so you driver can still locate your position once he's within several feet.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 09:23 AM   #8
TromboneAl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Far, Far Northern California
Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up putting it on the left seat stay, but above the level of the top of the tire.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 10:34 AM   #9
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One would think that all tailights would have provisions for mounting on the back of racks. Most visible, from all sides. Neither my SF, nor Mars has this feature....
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 04:00 PM   #10
rodrigaj
Senior Member
 
rodrigaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
One would think that all tailights would have provisions for mounting on the back of racks. Most visible, from all sides. Neither my SF, nor Mars has this feature....
If you don't have fenders, the lights get sandblasted by the grit coming off of the tire. You would think that this was minimal damage, but it is not.
rodrigaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 04:16 PM   #11
mijome07
Senior Member
 
mijome07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
If you don't have fenders, the lights get sandblasted by the grit coming off of the tire. You would think that this was minimal damage, but it is not.
Dusty, yes. Sandblasted, no. Though the bike was brand new when I took the photo, I never had a problem down the line where the lights were mounted.
mijome07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:35 PM   #12
crocodilefundy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you ever consider mounting the light off of one of the rails on your seat? thats what i did and there is even a clear line of sight when i have panniers on.
crocodilefundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:40 PM   #13
mijome07
Senior Member
 
mijome07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought about that. I have a Planet Bike tail light bracket on a Jandd rear rack. I just have to get another Superflash. The ones in the photo were sold along with the bike.
mijome07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:42 PM   #14
rodrigaj
Senior Member
 
rodrigaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
Dusty, yes. Sandblasted, no. Though the bike was brand new when I took the photo, I never had a problem down the line where the lights were mounted.
Of course you didn't. You don't have a rack on the bike.

My reply about sandblast was to the comment "for mounting on the back of racks".
rodrigaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:48 PM   #15
mijome07
Senior Member
 
mijome07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay. In my experience, I did have a rear rack with a tail light and no fenders. Again, it was dusty, but not filthy. Maybe because the rack I have is longer than average ones?
mijome07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 07:31 PM   #16
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
One would think that all tailights would have provisions for mounting on the back of racks. Most visible, from all sides. Neither my SF, nor Mars has this feature....
1) Stop writing in annoying green colours. You're not special
2) Racks come with a L bracket that allows you to mount reflectors to the center rear of it. This can easily be addapted to secure the plastic mount lights come with.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 08:29 PM   #17
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
One would think that all tailights would have provisions for mounting on the back of racks. Most visible, from all sides. Neither my SF, nor Mars has this feature....

Planet Bike makes a rack mount for the SuperFlash. This is intended to bolt to your rear rack's reflector-mounting bracket. If it's not strong enough to support a SuperFlash long-term, you may need to fabricate your own from stronger metal.

Alternately, you can bolt a piece of dowel to the underside of racks that have a center plate (Blackburn MTN racks and clones), then use your blinkie's seatpost mount to attach it to the dowel.


As for the original topic, I suspect the box art shows the SuperFlash on the driveside because the stylized gear cluster in the illustration helps you figure out that oh, I get it, those are the gears and that's the seatstay. Make sense?
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 01:10 AM   #18
powerhouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, Maine USA
Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three Superflashes. Two are mounted on the left and right chainstays. The third one I clip to my panier or the back of my helmet. Setting them up this way has been very visible and effective so far.

Last edited by powerhouse; 09-29-08 at 02:22 PM.
powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 10:58 AM   #19
ebrady
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delaware, OH
Bikes: Giant OCR2, Puegeot Altitude 21 MTB
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Seems obvious to me that, at least in this country, one would want to have it mounted on the left (the traffic side).

No big deal, but why do you think they set it up that way.
I wondered this also when I got my first SuperFlash. One of the great mysteries of the universe I guess. I simply took the hardware, flipped it upside down and put it on the left side instead of the right.
ebrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 12:06 PM   #20
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrady View Post
I wondered this also when I got my first SuperFlash. One of the great mysteries of the universe I guess. I simply took the hardware, flipped it upside down and put it on the left side instead of the right.
I'm not sure why you flipped it upside down, but that's a good way to lose your SuperFlash, judging by the number of empty upside-down PB mounts I've seen as a LBS mechanic. You can mount it on the non-driveside in the correct orientation (light dropping downward into the mount).
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 07:40 AM   #21
ebrady
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delaware, OH
Bikes: Giant OCR2, Puegeot Altitude 21 MTB
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
I'm not sure why you flipped it upside down, but that's a good way to lose your SuperFlash, judging by the number of empty upside-down PB mounts I've seen as a LBS mechanic. You can mount it on the non-driveside in the correct orientation (light dropping downward into the mount).
Yeah, it could fall out, that was pretty obvious when I flipped it.

It can be mounted in the correct orientation on the non drive side, but the mount that came with mine is offset to the right and comes a little closer to the rear wheel then I am comfortable with. I always figured the instructions show it mounted on the drive side because of this very reason.
ebrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.