Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    using a Flashlight, adapted to a bike, is soooooo Fredtacular

    there

    I said it. I feel better.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member dmac49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Outside..somewhere
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    there

    i said it. I feel better.
    +1..... Popcorn anyone ?
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rob_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Surly Longhaul Trucker, Dahon Boardwalk, Raleigh 20
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think all the super-led mini-flashlights attached with nice, purpose-made, attachment systems are "fredtacular," you should see my 30+ year old bike with a front rat-trap rack with a full size flashlight clipped in. Too bad my bulb burned out, and I ended up switching to "real" bike lights.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pig_Chaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    '07 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submit that adapting a flashlight to a bike is one of the least fredtacular things in this forum.

  5. #5
    my legs are carbon thebeatcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bite.

    Flashlights look cooler to me, maybe more commando-ish or something.

  6. #6
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,953
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    If you think all the super-led mini-flashlights attached with nice, purpose-made, attachment systems are "fredtacular," you should see my 30+ year old bike with a front rat-trap rack with a full size flashlight clipped in. Too bad my bulb burned out, and I ended up switching to "real" bike lights.
    Last summer we were on a new rails to trail trail and saw a guy with what looked like a 2d cell maglite taped to his helmet with ductape. There's a tunnel on the trail that's pitch black on the inside, and this was his answer to seeing while in the tunnel. Between watching where I was going, the ductape and wondering WTF I couldn't tell exactly what he had, but that was pretty "fredtactular" to me.

  7. #7
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
    Last summer we were on a new rails to trail trail and saw a guy with what looked like a 2d cell maglite taped to his helmet with ductape. There's a tunnel on the trail that's pitch black on the inside, and this was his answer to seeing while in the tunnel. Between watching where I was going, the ductape and wondering WTF I couldn't tell exactly what he had, but that was pretty "fredtactular" to me.
    Of course that's Fredtacular... you're supposed to use zipties.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pipe clamps work great! Simple and cheap.

  9. #9
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this P7 900 Lumen flashlight with bicycle mounting clip FRED?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
    Why is this P7 900 Lumen flashlight with bicycle mounting clip FRED?
    If your light actually put out 900 lumens, it would run for only about 20 minutes on one 18650 That's a nice-looking holder, anyway.

    I submit that adapting a flashlight to a bike is one of the least fredtacular things in this forum.
    Agreed. Internally-geared hubs and fixies, now there's some Fred action.

  11. #11
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    If your light actually put out 900 lumens, it would run for only about 20 minutes on one 18650 That's a nice-looking holder, anyway.



    Agreed. Internally-geared hubs and fixies, now there's some Fred action.
    50 minutes on high, 2 hours on medium, 5 hours on low.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  12. #12
    Senior Member skiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon coast
    My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
    Why is this P7 900 Lumen flashlight with bicycle mounting clip FRED?
    Is that one of those flashlight holders from DealExtreme (SKU 15642) or Kaidomain (SKU S006219)?

    If so, how good does it fit your handlebars....what diameter are they?

    And...do you think it would fit a slimmer flashlight if it was wrapped with some inner tube strips? I read it wouldn't clamp slimmer lights too well.

    I'm about to order a AA size light and am trying to figure out what clamp is going to work.

    Thanks.

  13. #13
    It's ALL base... DScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    there

    I said it. I feel better.
    It's worth double fredelicious points for eventually spending as much, or more, than a good purpose-built light system would have cost in the first place!

    But then, I guess the journey is it's own reward, eh?

  14. #14
    Gray Haired Commuter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DScott View Post
    It's worth double fredelicious points for eventually spending as much, or more, than a good purpose-built light system would have cost in the first place!

    I didn't reply to the original bait because it's the OPs opinion, and I quit caring about what other people think about what I wear or attach to my bike a long time ago. But your statement can be evaluated with some objectivity so I'm curious to see some examples of what you're talking about. I have $30 invested in a flashlight-based system that is rated at 215 lumens using two AA batteries (the actual output is probably less but still a valid number for comparison). What off the shelf lighting system can come close to that for $30? And if I would have spent $55 instead on a P7 based system, I'd have a light that rivals some HID stuff for a fraction of the cost.

    I guess I should add the cost of a charger and batteries for my $30 system and bump that up $45-$50. But I already own a bunch of devices that run on AAs (two-way radios, remotes, etc) so I didn't have to spend on that separately. That's probably the case for a lot of other folks.

    I have a Nashbar catalog in front of me. Here's a few examples of output in lumens vs. price (and these are on sale).

    85 $119
    120 $79
    400 $349
    85 $149
    150 $199

    So where are the systems that can touch a flashlight-based system on a cost basis?
    Last edited by dclaryjr; 11-05-08 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Dave Clary
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Home: http://davidclary.com
    Blog: DaveGetsFit

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pig_Chaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    '07 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ain't running wires and mounting battery packs... it ain't Fred. Now my system, that's Fred.

  16. #16
    It's ALL base... DScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post
    I didn't reply to the original bait because it's the OPs opinion, and I quit caring about what other people think about what I wear or attach to my bike a long time ago. But your statement can be evaluated with some objectivity so I'm curious to see some examples of what you're talking about. I have $30 invested in a flashlight-based system that is rated at 215 lumens using two AA batteries (the actual output is probably less but still a valid number for comparison). What off the shelf lighting system can come close to that for $30? And if I would have spent $55 instead on a P7 based system, I'd have a light that rivals some HID stuff for a fraction of the cost.

    I guess I should add the cost of a charger and batteries for my $30 system and bump that up $45-$50. But I already own a bunch of devices that run on AAs (two-way radios, remotes, etc) so I didn't have to spend on that separately. That's probably the case for a lot of other folks.

    I have a Nashbar catalog in front of me. Here's a few examples of output in lumens vs. price (and these are on sale).

    85 $119
    120 $79
    400 $349
    85 $149
    150 $199

    So where are the systems that can touch a flashlight-based system on a cost basis?
    Of course, this is meant to be "all in fun," but I do believe that a Dinotte 200L AA system (on sale for $105 right now) outperforms many of the lights you've mentioned. That assumes light output, ease of mounting, ease of use, rechargeability, small form factor, light weight, and durability are important. They are to me.

    I can mount the Dinotte quickly, change batteries easily, ride with the thing in the rain and not worry about it, and it lights up the road very well. It doesn't burden my bars with too much weight, since that changes the handling/characteristics on the road bike too much for my comfort.

    If some particular system works for you, that's great! Lots of solutions out there, for sure.

    However, I've seen many posts here where people initially use less expensive solutions, only to eventually buy the Dinotte (or similar) at a higher price and finally get what they want. I did it myself, first buying a Cateye 500 something-or-other at around $45 that was completely useless for what I needed it to do.

    Cheaper isn't always better- sometimes spending more is a better deal in the end.

    Cheers!

  17. #17
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddac View Post
    but keep in mind: high does not = 900 lumens
    Yes it does. I measured the current on high at 2800mA so looking at the data sheet on the SSC website shows 900 Lumen at that current. My 18650 battery is a new Trustfire 2500mA battery's so on high I get 50 minutes run time.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  18. #18
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiph View Post
    Is that one of those flashlight holders from DealExtreme (SKU 15642) or Kaidomain (SKU S006219)?

    If so, how good does it fit your handlebars....what diameter are they?

    And...do you think it would fit a slimmer flashlight if it was wrapped with some inner tube strips? I read it wouldn't clamp slimmer lights too well.

    I'm about to order a AA size light and am trying to figure out what clamp is going to work.

    Thanks.
    DX universal flashlight bicycle clip.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642
    The handlebar part of the clip comes with a rubber strip that is useless. When using the clip on a road bike with drop bars no rubber strip is needed. When used with smaller diameter handlebars just cut a strip of rubber from and old inner tube which, will work perfectly.
    The rubber strip that fits in the flashlight part of the holder is for larger flashlights like those using 18650 batteries with the supplied rubber strip. The mount without the rubber strip measures 29.75mm. It would not be very difficult to fabricate rubber parts for smaller body flashlights. Cutting up and old damaged or worn out tire would work well.
    I ordered the new Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III SSC P7-C 5-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight with Assault Crown.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16091
    I ran current tests just to make sure the driver circuit was supplying the correct voltage and current for the listed specifications and found them correct. It has an orange peel reflector surface so it provides good spill as well as throwing a tight narrow beam. I only run it in high mode when off road. This light is simply too bright when riding in traffic. One policeman at Critical Mass complained about it when I had it in medium mode. He was shocked at the light output when I put it in high mode. I ended up riding around in low mode which was fine on city roads. Medium mode is very nice on dark roads but I do get cars flashing there high beams at me so I'll switch it to low mode.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  19. #19
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
    Yes it does. I measured the current on high at 2800mA so looking at the data sheet on the SSC website shows 900 Lumen at that current. My 18650 battery is a new Trustfire 2500mA battery's so on high I get 50 minutes run time.
    Even the best of the best P7 lights (think: LumaPower DX-1, WolfEyes Sniper, and Lupine Tesla) are in the 580-700 lumen range, regardless of Seoul's datasheet The pic below shows two DealExtreme P7s versus one 700-lumen light. With a 50-minute runtime, my guess is you're at more like 450-500 lumens.


  20. #20
    Je pose, donc je suis.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back. Here.
    Posts
    2,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DScott View Post
    It's worth double fredelicious points for eventually spending as much, or more, than a good purpose-built light system would have cost in the first place!

    But then, I guess the journey is it's own reward, eh?
    What if you buy the lighting-system, fry the electronics when testing your home-built rectifier for your dynamo hub**, and then re-use the housing for a DIY light?


    **Guess I -- er, my friend -- should have put the capacitor on the other side of the loose connection...

  21. #21
    Senior Member dmac49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Outside..somewhere
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....and the morph begins.... more popcorn please....
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

  22. #22
    Senior Member skiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon coast
    My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    n4zou:

    Thanks for the info on that mount, I'll probably add one on my order.

    Seems like most of the others are pretty flimsy...yours seems to be working OK as you didn't mention it breaking the first time you used it like the reviews on some others say.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Halifax, NS
    My Bikes
    2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2008 Trek 7100
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 900 lumen light wouldn't appear 9 times brighter than a 100 lumen anyhow. I can tell you that one of my P7s absolutely spanks my L2D which is 175 lumens roughly.

    L2D:


    P7:

  24. #24
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
    A 900 lumen light wouldn't appear 9 times brighter than a 100 lumen anyhow. I can tell you that one of my P7s absolutely spanks my L2D which is 175 lumens roughly.

    L2D:


    P7:
    The L2D Q5 is 145 lumens out the front on Turbo, actually, as measured in an integrating sphere with fully-charged AAs. Regarding SureFire, they're known for rating their lights for their real, out-the-front output, so if a SureFire says 100 lumens, it's probably pretty close to 100 lumens

  25. #25
    uke
    uke is offline
    it's easy if you let it. uke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    indoors and out.
    Posts
    4,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddac View Post
    I was on a ride with someone who had a P7 mounted on the bike. When we got off, I asked him to compare his flashlight versus mine. The P7 was really really really bright. Brighter than my Surefire. But I don't think it was 8x brighter. It was slightly brighter. The beam wasn't as focused either.
    Regardless of whether the P7 was producing 8x as much light as your Surefire or not, it would never have appeared 8x brighter, because visual perception of brightness is logarithmic. For one light to appear 8x brighter than another light, the first light actually has to put out something like 32x as much light as the dimmer light.

    Trying to determine how many times brighter light X is than light Y by the naked eye will never yield accurate results. This is why people who buy one awesome light are invariably disappointed to realize buying two awesome lights doesn't allow them to see twice as well as they did with the first light. The eye doesn't scale light intensity in a linear fashion, just as the ear doesn't scale sound intensity in a linear fashion.

    JesseDuncan:I just love how "cars will be forced to cross the double yellow lines on dangerous limited visibility roads".

    I don't want to have a head on but oh god, I HAVE to fling myself into oncoming traffic to pass, theres no alternative!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •