OK. I have been looking into this.
Firstly, I have noticed that anything that actually approved to (and is stamped to say so) BS6102/3 is generally crap compared to the alternatives. However, in light of the compensation culture we are in, I would be stupid to not have working BS approved (marketing saying that it meets or exceeds is not enough, it MUST officially tested and certified) lighting.
As I am not a fan of replacing batteries, I thought I would look into the LED market as LED's are now quasi-legal in the UK (both flashing and steady). Now I cannot say much about the halogen/xenon/hid/etc.. range of lights buit it may be that most of them are not certified either, but back to LED's, I have so far only found a handful of rear lights and even less front lights that are BS 6102/3 approved.
For those of you who are interested, these are:
- Bikehut Ultra White Front LED Bike Light 531350-0 - Claimed conformity in either high or normal beam constant/steady mode only.
- Cateye HL-EL300 - Also approved for use in Germany.
- Cateye TL-LD260BS - Cannot find any info on Cateye's site re the TL-LD260BS, just the TL-LD260. Now superceeded by the TL-LD270 and TL-LD280 (but no comments as to standards compliance).
- Cateye TL-AU100BS - Includes a standards compliant reflector (reflector only compliant when used with an additional bracket to the one supplied, available sperately).
- Eurolight EL156 - BS approved light AND reflector.
- Halfords Rear Bike Light 009720-0 - Claimed conformity, but there is an asterisk next to the bullet point on the picture of the box.
- Bikehut Compact Rear LED Bike Light 531376-0 - Claimed conformity in constant/steady mode only.
- Bikehut Ultra Bright LED 531368-0 - 531350-0/531376-0 - see above.
- Cateye EL300/AU100 BS - See above.
- Eurolight EL180 - The rear looks like the EL152 and the front looks like the EL186 (although that model is rechargable). But neither of these on their own mention any standards.
And if anybody has any comments about the quality of any of these lights please let me know, as I am deciding which ones to get.
Isn't it ironic though, that I am looking at getting standards approved lights as my BACKUP lighting and not my main lighting. There is something seriously wrong here.