Iím fairly new to Brevets and purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend to help me not get lost as easily. Iíve purchased the plug and play street maps. I have no idea how to program in routes. Can someone refer me to web site or perhaps a thread on this forum where this is explained to the uninitiated? Iíve read the book that came with the Garmin, but I need more help.
Once the street map card is placed in the device is it uploaded to the device? Then can it be removed and a blank card be plugged in to load routes which one creates from using an online program?
Wow, no replies. There are lot on knowledgeable folks here that can help you. I do not own an eTrex but do have several other Garmins, so take my reccomendations with a grain of salt.
- The SD card must be in the GPS for the unit to read the maps. You will most likely need to tell the unit to turn them on in a setup menu.
- I don't think the eTrex supports courses so you need to load routes to it. In order to do this you may need to download the free Garmin program called MapSource. You can use this to send routes to the eTrex.
- There are mutiple websites that you can look at to create routes but the only one I can think at the moment is bikeroutetoaster.com.
- After you create your route on any website you want to download the .GPX file type.
- Open MapSource, from MapSource open the GPX file you downloaded. Select send to device from either the menu or button and choose routes.
- I don't know where you find the routeson your eTrex but the manual should tell you that.