Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need 18650 battery/charger recommendation

    Anyone have a good off the shelf recommendation or if not, a quick ship recommendation?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  3. #3
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the grey ones are just as nice http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5776
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones from DX will take quite a while. Personally I use a Pila charger and Trustfire batteries. The charger is

    Charger - http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/bach.html - It's more expensive than DX chargers, but it has the advantage of terminating the charge properly and not over charging cells.

    Batteries - http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...e-18650/Detail

    I've never ordered from Bug Out Gear, but they have a good reputation. I have ordered from ShiningBeam, and they have super fast and cheap shipping.

  5. #5
    P7 Fanboy JinbaIttai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Crippled Burrick Inn
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got about 25 charges on this one; I guess that qualifies as short-term reliable so far.
    It was about $8, free shipping, took maybe 3 weeks.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Charger - http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/bach.html - It's more expensive than DX chargers, but it has the advantage of terminating the charge properly and not over charging cells.
    In the interests of offering the OP accurate advice, I have to ask you:

    What makes you think that the DX chargers don't 'terminate the charge properly' and 'overcharge cells' ?
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    In the interests of offering the OP accurate advice, I have to ask you:

    What makes you think that the DX chargers don't 'terminate the charge properly' and 'overcharge cells' ?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=205036

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    In the interests of offering the OP accurate advice, I have to ask you:

    What makes you think that the DX chargers don't 'terminate the charge properly' and 'overcharge cells' ?
    My personal experience with the charger you linked to as well as the many experiences of others, both on CPF and the CX forum.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well.

    The charger works ok for me and for lots if other people.

    I do like the 'scary' video though.

    It's obvious that the high voltage displayed is the no load state of the charger.

    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    Ah well.

    The charger works ok for me and for lots if other people.

    I do like the 'scary' video though.

    It's obvious that the high voltage displayed is the no load state of the charger.

    I have no idea what video you are talking about, but mine would charge over 4.20v, which is not good for the battery, and could cause a fire if it didn't terminate properly. My Pila never charges over 4.20v.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    I have no idea what video you are talking about, but mine would charge over 4.20v, which is not good for the battery, and could cause a fire if it didn't terminate properly. My Pila never charges over 4.20v.
    Charger Test

    It's too late, I'm now too scared to use my perfectly functioning WF-139.

    Combined with my fear that the waning moon will suck the marrow from my bones, I now live in constant fear.

    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    Charger Test

    It's too late, I'm now too scared to use my perfectly functioning WF-139.

    Combined with my fear that the waning moon will suck the marrow from my bones, I now live in constant fear.

    Why can't you simply accept that others have a different opinion than yours without being facetious? You often act like a small child when someone expresses an opinion which differs from yours. This isn't a pissing contest, it's a discussion about bikes and accessories.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Why can't you simply accept that others have a different opinion than yours without being facetious? You often act like a small child when someone expresses an opinion which differs from yours. This isn't a pissing contest, it's a discussion about bikes and accessories.
    Why rubbish a product based on tests that are years out of date and on a product that has since then been revised, probably several times ?

    Why scare someone into spending $70 for a charger (or put them off buying the technology altogether) when many, many, many people are using that charger with no problems whatsoever ?

    Different opinions are great - scaremongering isn't.

    Last edited by Unknown Cyclist; 04-06-09 at 10:08 AM.
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    Why rubbish a product based on tests that are years out of date and on a product that has since then been revised, probably several times ?

    Why scare someone into spending $70 for a charger (or put them off buying the technology altogether) when many, many, many people are using that charger with no problems whatsoever ?

    Different opinions are great - scaremongering isn't.

    Who is scaremongering? DX is known to sell counterfeit WF-139 chargers, and the specs of the original charger say that it can terminate up to 4.24v.

    For many of us $50 (not $70), is well worth it. Not all of us buy based on lowest price; quality also counts.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    For many of us $50 (not $70), is well worth it. Not all of us buy based on lowest price; quality also counts.
    I completely agree with you, however a cheap multimeter and an armchair do not an expert make. Science requires scientific principles and lots of those tests are woefully lacking. Collecting erroneous data proves nothing.

    Using similar batteries in a WF-139 charger and doing the same with a 'superior' charger for an extended period of time and the same duty cycle, could provide evidence that the life expectancy of batteries charged in the WF-139 is lessened.

    However, poorly conducted tests, inaccurate results and speculation prove very little. The OP asked for recommendations. I'm not saying that your recommendation is poor, it's likely that the charger you recommend is as good as the WF-139.

    Is there any evidence that it is better ? Unfortunately not.

    I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, it's up to the OP to decide what is good advice.

    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    I completely agree with you, however a cheap multimeter and an armchair do not an expert make. Science requires scientific principles and lots of those tests are woefully lacking. Collecting erroneous data proves nothing.

    Using similar batteries in a WF-139 charger and doing the same with a 'superior' charger for an extended period of time and the same duty cycle, could provide evidence that the life expectancy of batteries charged in the WF-139 is lessened.

    However, poorly conducted tests, inaccurate results and speculation prove very little. The OP asked for recommendations. I'm not saying that your recommendation is poor, it's likely that the charger you recommend is as good as the WF-139.

    Is there any evidence that it is better ? Unfortunately not.

    I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, it's up to the OP to decide what is good advice.

    Here's what some people with more than 'a cheap multimeter and an armchair' have to say about the charger. And it's total BS that you aren't looking for an argument; you are intentionally abrasive.

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=205036

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=209785

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charging a small unprotected cell in with this type of charger could cause charging voltages of 4.4V or higher to be reached in theory.
    As the protected 18650 cells are neither small nor unprotected and he even says 'IN THEORY' - everything I have said is precisely true.

    The charger that is alleged to not have terminated the charge properly is a different model from the current one and was bought several years ago - and in any case that CANNOT happen with PROTECTED cells.

    To claim these are problems is blatant scaremongering, seems to me that you are the one looking for an argument.

    There's no proof of anything in those threads just a lot of poorly obtained data and erroneous conclusions.

    Run some 18650s through 300 duty cycles on the charger and publish your results ok ?



    Now, can we just let the OP decide for himself ?
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    To claim these are problems is blatant scaremongering, seems to me that you are the one looking for an argument.
    Ziemas just brought good info to this thread and has been polite with you. Can you please stop turning things into a fight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    There's no proof of anything in those threads just a lot of poorly obtained data and erroneous conclusions.

    Run some 18650s through 300 duty cycles on the charger and publish your results ok ?
    If you are disputing the results, shouldn't it be you doing that?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erlebo View Post
    Ziemas just brought good info to this thread and has been polite with you. Can you please stop turning things into a fight?

    If you are disputing the results, shouldn't it be you doing that?
    Gee, and thanks for your unbiased opinion.
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of other cheap DX chargers

    What is the general consensus of this charger

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

    Seems like a few guys at CPF thought it might be a good basic one if you only need to charge 18650s but does anyone use that charger here and have some actual experience with it? Also, I see the blue trustfires were posted up above, but I've seen the gray ones rated for 2400mah also suggested. Betwen them, which are the better cells? Here's the link to the grey ones
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5776

  21. #21
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt4703 View Post
    Speaking of other cheap DX chargers

    What is the general consensus of this charger

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

    Seems like a few guys at CPF thought it might be a good basic one if you only need to charge 18650s but does anyone use that charger here and have some actual experience with it? Also, I see the blue trustfires were posted up above, but I've seen the gray ones rated for 2400mah also suggested. Betwen them, which are the better cells? Here's the link to the grey ones
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5776
    I havn't used the charger, but I've had great results with the gray Trustfire batteries. In tests that I've seen the gray ones seem to outperform the blue in terms of runtime. IIRC, the black label ones are also quite good according to tests.

  22. #22
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I bought the Ultrafire charger. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

    Actually I bought two of them. I just put batteries in them. One of them is blinking green for a split second every second or so. What does that mean? The other one is red all the time.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    Alright I bought the Ultrafire charger. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

    Actually I bought two of them. I just put batteries in them. One of them is blinking green for a split second every second or so. What does that mean? The other one is red all the time.
    Are the batteries the right way around ?
    Making a Pilom Triple LED Headlight ? I have parts available :)
    Bell R2 Conversion
    HID Project
    Dynohub R2 Project & Custom Helmet Lighting
    Aurora P7 Review

  24. #24
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist View Post
    Are the batteries the right way around ?
    Yes. I may have gotten a fake one. Read comments from cjdelphi in the product reviews.

  25. #25
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well, I guess I can still leave the batteries in there and go out for the day since I got protected cells right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •