Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Helmet Cam on Handle Bars 2 - VIDEO

    I finally got decent results with the camcorder on the handlebars.

    I usually run my 2 inch tires at 50 psi. For this test I ran the front tire at 30 psi and it made a huge improvement in the camera jiggling department with the camera attached to the handlebars.

    I ran over a variety of surfaces to test the new setup - smooth roads, substandard roads, trolley tracks, train tracks, and even a little cross-country.

    These results are quite acceptable. Previous tests on rough streets were disappointing to put it mildly. I was amazed when I previewed the raw vid that even the cross-country ride filmed well.

    You can see the vid HERE.

    Be sure to notice the city bus and an SUV both running the red light at 5:09 and the lady on the beach cruiser splitting the double yellow center line at 1:22

    Helmet Cam Info

    Cheers!
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  2. #2
    Senior Member DX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    Be sure to notice the city bus and an SUV both running the red light at 5:09 and the lady on the beach cruiser splitting the double yellow center line at 1:22
    Cheers!
    Sorry, I was too pre-occupied counting the number of red lights run by the person operating the camera. Including the one where the rider, blows through crosswalk full of pedestrians who actually had the right of way.

    If you hit and injure a pedestrian while they have the right of way (especially in a crosswalk), you're screwed. But I'm sure you'll enjoy paying their medical expenses out of your own pocket.

    Gotta love the fact that you're calling out a bus and SUV for doing the same thing that you did consistently while filming this video.

  3. #3
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX Rider View Post
    Gotta love the fact that you're calling out a bus and SUV for doing the same thing that you did consistently while filming this video.
    That's an Avocacy and Safety issue, not an electronic issue. Take that stuff over to A&S please. They beat me up regular over there. You will make lots of nannyfriends there.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad. Can't see where you are looking though, but watching your other videos gives us hints! I love how all the cars on your commute are basically standing still!

  5. #5
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,409
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX Rider View Post
    Sorry, I was too pre-occupied counting the number of red lights run by the person operating the camera. Including the one where the rider, blows through crosswalk full of pedestrians who actually had the right of way.

    If you hit and injure a pedestrian while they have the right of way (especially in a crosswalk), you're screwed. But I'm sure you'll enjoy paying their medical expenses out of your own pocket.

    Gotta love the fact that you're calling out a bus and SUV for doing the same thing that you did consistently while filming this video.
    How dare you call down Joey. He's just out there trying to make the roads unsafe for everyone. He's a rebel. A loner. You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like him.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lord Chambers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one thing to filter up at a stop, it's another to ride on the center line and traintracks. Were you rushing to the hospital to witness the birth of your child in the video?

  7. #7
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chambers View Post
    Were you rushing to the hospital to witness the birth of your child in the video?
    That is one thing I would not want to see.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  8. #8
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink Cam Questions

    a) Model of cam
    b) pictures of Mounting
    c) Tools or device holding cam
    d) What's a Nanny Friend

    ROb
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  9. #9
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    a) Model of cam
    b) pictures of Mounting
    c) Tools or device holding cam
    d) What's a Nanny Friend
    a) VholdR - see OP for link to helmet setup.

    b) and c) VholdR makes a handle bar mount. Before they had one available I made my own from a box of spare parts, the likes of which would be hard to duplicate. I think I used a velcro pump mount, a plastic hub protector for shipping bikes, and the VholdR flat surface mount with a small bubble level attached to the camera. I might still tape the whole works into place. Give me a day or two and I will take a few good stills of it and post them. Still a work in progress, but I am darned close to happy.

    c) In the A&S forum, and others, someone overly concerned with bicycle safety is referred to as a Safety Nanny - someone more concerned about rules than common sense or free choice (like wearing a helmet or not). So, a Nannyfriend would be some companionship for the guy trashing my riding in the Electronic Forum where folks like you want to know about the ELECTRONICS involved, not the riding.

    Cheers!

    Joey
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  10. #10
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,270
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the bar view.
    ride safe.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was dumb running red lights ...very DUMB

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, that is what I thought when I first watched Joey's videos, look at his redlight running tutorial and you will understand why he does it.

  13. #13
    Fairweather Bike Commuter Matt1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Falmouth, MA
    My Bikes
    2008 Jamis Satellite
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you in such a hurry?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    a) VholdR - see OP for link to helmet setup.

    b) and c) VholdR makes a handle bar mount. Before they had one available I made my own from a box of spare parts, the likes of which would be hard to duplicate. I think I used a velcro pump mount, a plastic hub protector for shipping bikes, and the VholdR flat surface mount with a small bubble level attached to the camera. I might still tape the whole works into place. Give me a day or two and I will take a few good stills of it and post them. Still a work in progress, but I am darned close to happy.

    c) In the A&S forum, and others, someone overly concerned with bicycle safety is referred to as a Safety Nanny - someone more concerned about rules than common sense or free choice (like wearing a helmet or not). So, a Nannyfriend would be some companionship for the guy trashing my riding in the Electronic Forum where folks like you want to know about the ELECTRONICS involved, not the riding.

    Cheers!

    Joey
    Unfortunately, vholdr charges $20 for their mount. I've been using a flashlight mount for the Vholdr. It works pretty well; mount holds the camera quite securely.

    Now, I just need jury rig one for the helmet.

  15. #15
    New Member IbizaBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the videos are fun to watch.

    John
    "Do you need a ride?"

  16. #16
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1972 View Post
    Why are you in such a hurry?
    No hurry. I hate stopping for a number of reasons.

    Check out my Red Light Running 101 piece if you are really interested.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its your life

  18. #18
    FrankTheCrank fmileto55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama, sometime in the 1950's
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Bilenky Tourlite Travel, Scattante 650
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it scary for you when people make their own choices in life that are different from your own? Joey sounds like a big boy who capable of living with the consequences and benefits of his choices. If you don't like his videos, don't watch them.

    BTW great music choices for your videos Joey.
    Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •