Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-09, 07:58 AM   #1
daven1986
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dynamo and lights questions

Hi all,

I am seriously considering dynamo lighting as I was in a situation yesterday where I wanted to ride somewhere but I had no batteries charged I do have some questions though:

- I am considering a sidewall dynamo for one of my bikes as it has disc brakes and I don't wish to spend too much. Are they really bad for tyres? Can they be modified to run off the rim?

- Are there any decent dynamo lights that clip onto the handlebar? I want to be able to remove them quickly as I will often lock my bike up outside. I also want to be able to switch lights between bikes.

- Is it possible to run a switchable light on both a hub dynamo and a sidewall dynamo?

- Are there any quick removal dynamo tail lights?

More questions to come!

Thanks

Daven
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 09:25 AM   #2
canopus 
Senior Member
 
canopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingwood, TX
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1984 Trek 760, 1984 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 720, 1981 Trek 710, 1979 Trek 710, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
- I am considering a sidewall dynamo for one of my bikes as it has disc brakes and I don't wish to spend too much. Are they really bad for tyres? Can they be modified to run off the rim?
The old one were bad. new ones have very little drag and are really nice. You can even get a 12 volt system in a sidewalled generator that puts out tremendous light. The cost on the other hand isn't cheap even for the 6v gens. The side walled mounted generators don't like a knobby tire (such as an aggressive MTB tire, you don't state what your bike is...)

They cannot be run off the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
- Are there any decent dynamo lights that clip onto the handlebar? I want to be able to remove them quickly as I will often lock my bike up outside. I also want to be able to switch lights between bikes.
Yes. My Supernova e3 uses a Cateye mount so it can slide right off. Combined with a deans plugs for the electrical connections will make it really easy to remove as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
- Is it possible to run a switchable light on both a hub dynamo and a sidewall dynamo?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
- Are there any quick removal dynamo tail lights?
You can make one using easily connected electrical plugs, (such as deans) and getting a light that mounts easily (either your own mount, modified mount, or o ring)
canopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 09:38 AM   #3
daven1986
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canopus View Post
The old one were bad. new ones have very little drag and are really nice. You can even get a 12 volt system in a sidewalled generator that puts out tremendous light. The cost on the other hand isn't cheap even for the 6v gens. The side walled mounted generators don't like a knobby tire (such as an aggressive MTB tire, you don't state what your bike is...)

They cannot be run off the rim.
Thanks, was looking at the 6v B&M one, it comes to about 40 or something, which isn't too bad. I have slicks on all my bikes, 1 hybrid (will use a sidewall generator), 1 road bike (will use a hub on this one) and one which I am going to build soon which will have a generator hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopus View Post
Yes. My Supernova e3 uses a Cateye mount so it can slide right off. Combined with a deans plugs for the electrical connections will make it really easy to remove as needed.
Thanks, I have also found this one http://velo-orange.com/plbileddyli.html, which might work in combination with my fenix L2D (when it is charged!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopus View Post
yes


Quote:
Originally Posted by canopus View Post
You can make one using easily connected electrical plugs, (such as deans) and getting a light that mounts easily (either your own mount, modified mount, or o ring)
Meh, I guess I'll just stick with battery tail lights - I have 3 bright tail lights so I should have ONE that is charged!!

Thanks again

Daven
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 01:12 PM   #4
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
Posts: 2,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Light On! dynamo headlight uses a O ring mounting for the optional handlebar mount and includes quick disconnects on both dynamo and taillight wires at the headlight so should install/remove quickly.

As for Dynamo taillights generally they are bolt on mounting. Install using Nylock nuts or Loctite and they should be quite secure I would expect unless accessory theft is very common in the UK.
__________________
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
tatfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 10:33 AM   #5
daven1986
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, I never noticed the handlebar mount! Is the LightOn! better, worse or comparable to the B&M IQ Fly or Cyo (60 lux)?

The quick disconnects, would they be transferable between bikes? I.e. would I need 2 quick disconnect wires or will the ones supplied with the light do?
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 01:20 PM   #6
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
Posts: 2,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
Thanks, I never noticed the handlebar mount! Is the LightOn! better, worse or comparable to the B&M IQ Fly or Cyo (60 lux)?

The quick disconnects, would they be transferable between bikes? I.e. would I need 2 quick disconnect wires or will the ones supplied with the light do?
The Light On! is a high power dynamo light which does not reach full output till about 18 to 20 MPH or 30k/ph approximately. The IQ Cyo reaches full output at much lower speed. It has a round beam so is hard to compare with the IQ Cyo beam pattern. At higher speeds it puts out more light in my experience but the beam pattern is different and less friendly to motorists or fellow cyclists coming towards you. Like the difference between the Symmetrical and Asymmetrical beam Supernova E3 lights. The Light On! dynamo light is more like the symmetrical beam E3.

If I wanted to transfer the light between multiple bikes I would email the company about purchasing multiple dynamo connecting cables so that one could be installed on each bike. This would allow much faster and more convenient light transfer between bikes. I do not know if they offer taillight wiring w/o their taillight but the same thing applies if running a dynamo taillight.
__________________
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
tatfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 02:43 PM   #7
daven1986
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, after further research I think it'd be around the same cost to get an IQ Fly for my beater and a Cyo for my main bike and also the beam pattern for these lights seems better. With that I will get the more reasonably priced B&M taillights for mudguards (much cheaper than the lighton one!) and run them too

Thanks for the advice guys
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.