Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-09, 09:29 PM   #1
Banzai
Jet Jockey
Thread Starter
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike.
Posts: 4,244
Wired computers are NOT more reliable

I have had, for a while, a wireless Planet Bike Protege 9.0 that's been awfully reliable. Before that I had a wireless Cateye that broke due to a heavy impact. (Not a crash, just careless tool use and storage.) I recently decided to get a Cateye Strada Cadence.

For about a month it was great. But now, every time I go over rough enough surfaces, the computer quits receiving data. Sometimes it starts again, sometimes it doesn't.

I've QC'd the installation a half a dozen times. I've changed the battery. Near as I can tell, the problem is the contact points between the computer and the wire base. The contact is very light, and bumps can disrupt it.

Funny how my wireless never flinched at rough roads, or had weird wiring issues. I'm going to take this thing back and get a wireless without cadence.

Just food for thought. I've experienced (very rare) signal interference with my wireless, and I've had to change the transmitter batteries...but the wireless was never so delicate a system. This wired computer has given me a host of problems.

The question that I'm certain someone will ask is: If the wireless Protege was so great, why aren't you still using it? I am...just one a different bike. Come to think of it, a bike that sees way more abuse than the nice road bike I put the Strada on...
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 07:33 AM   #2
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 12,930
Finding one wired computer that is a lemon is not a valid basis for saying that all wired computers are not more reliable than wireless ones.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 08:17 AM   #3
barturtle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes: Jamis Coda
Posts: 798
I have three perfectly operating wired computers, one of which is over 5 years old and just got its first new battery this summer (and is now on its third bike) and two of which are Cateye Strada Cadence, one of which is over 2 years old.
barturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 08:28 AM   #4
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Clean your contacts with a pencil eraser, and put a tiny dab of dielectric grease on them, and your problem will probably go away forever.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 09:08 AM   #5
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Been using an Avocet wired model on 1 of my bikes for 20+ years.. Had to replace the battery a handful of times but just keep on going..
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 12:49 PM   #6
Banzai
Jet Jockey
Thread Starter
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike.
Posts: 4,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Clean your contacts with a pencil eraser, and put a tiny dab of dielectric grease on them, and your problem will probably go away forever.
I'll try that...but again, something else I didn't have to fuss with when using wireless.
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:18 PM   #7
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein
 
bmclaughlin807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spokane
Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
Posts: 4,038
My Cateye wired computer has been on my bike for 2 and a half years, through sun, rain, hail, snow, -15 degree commutes. 13,000 miles so far and still going strong.

Not a single issue with it.
__________________
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
bmclaughlin807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:38 PM   #8
Banzai
Jet Jockey
Thread Starter
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike.
Posts: 4,244
I know what you guys are saying about my one anecdotal experience here...but I did a search here, and on RBR; turns out mine is a common complaint.
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 02:17 PM   #9
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
I know what you guys are saying about my one anecdotal experience here...but I did a search here, and on RBR; turns out mine is a common complaint.
Do you mean that one computer has design issues, or that a lot of people have problems with wired computers in general?

I also have a PB Protege 9, and it's going on 20000 miles and 5 years on my bike. I did have to replace the mount last year as I messed up and forgot to re-secure the wire after doing some work, and it got caught in the front wheel and ripped the wire out. Still, just replacing the wire after 4 years wasn't too bad. Cost me about $11.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 07:11 PM   #10
KZBrian
Senior Member
 
KZBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, MI USA
Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 Road,1986 Schwinn Super Sport , 2011 Raleigh Talus 3.0 MTB
Posts: 365
Banzai, it sounds like your wired computer was not more reliable than your wireless.

My Cateye Vectra has been going strong for 23 years. I have yet to try wireless, but it sounds like a good option.
KZBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 11:22 PM   #11
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
Posts: 2,830
Wired computers can suffer from contact problems while wireless ones can suffer from interference problems. Neither is perfect. If you do not have cadence on the computer then you might as well go with wired units as tey are cheaper and require less in the way of batteries IMO.
__________________
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
tatfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 05:25 AM   #12
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
I have had, for a while, a wireless Planet Bike Protege 9.0 that's been awfully reliable. Before that I had a wireless Cateye that broke due to a heavy impact. (Not a crash, just careless tool use and storage.) I recently decided to get a Cateye Strada Cadence.

For about a month it was great. But now, every time I go over rough enough surfaces, the computer quits receiving data. Sometimes it starts again, sometimes it doesn't.

I've QC'd the installation a half a dozen times. I've changed the battery. Near as I can tell, the problem is the contact points between the computer and the wire base. The contact is very light, and bumps can disrupt it.

Funny how my wireless never flinched at rough roads, or had weird wiring issues. I'm going to take this thing back and get a wireless without cadence.

Just food for thought. I've experienced (very rare) signal interference with my wireless, and I've had to change the transmitter batteries...but the wireless was never so delicate a system. This wired computer has given me a host of problems.

The question that I'm certain someone will ask is: If the wireless Protege was so great, why aren't you still using it? I am...just one a different bike. Come to think of it, a bike that sees way more abuse than the nice road bike I put the Strada on...
Sounds like a problem with your specific model of computer, not all wired computers in general.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.