Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-10, 04:47 PM   #1
tardman91
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tardman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cateye Strada Wireless Questions

Just got it today and installed it. It's raining so I can't get a good test of it, but just from spinning the front wheel it seems to work great. I do have 2 questions though.
1) About how long will the batteries last? And do they tend to wear out at the same time, or will I be replacing one a lot more than the other?
2) From what I can tell, there is no way to turn the unit off? It just goes idle and displays the time, and if I don't use it for 2 weeks it goes into sleep mode? Is that correct?
Thanks!
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:49 PM   #2
Elliots Quest
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver/Aurora Co
Bikes: Nishiki, Kodiak & C-Dale, Bad Boy Ultra
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. I ride my bike everyday the batteries in my Strada Wireless lasted about 1100 miles or 6 months before I replaced both at the same time.

2. You are correct.
Elliots Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:52 PM   #3
Cygnus67
Senior Member
 
Cygnus67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Flat Lands of Southern New Jersey
Bikes: Current Cannondales: 1999 F400, 2007 Road Warrior 800 . Gone, but not forgotten: 1991 SC600, 1992 M700, 1997 R500t.
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To question #1: If you believe the instructions, the battery life is "Approx. 1 year (If the computer is used for 1 hour/day; the battery life will vary depending on the conditions of use.)" but as noted "the factory-loaded battery life might be shorter than the above-mentioned specification." Me? I've been using mine almost daily for close to three years and have yet to change the batteries and have not had issues.

To question #2: Sleep mode just means the clock turns off too. Once you get the wheel moving again, the whole things just comes back to life. No worries.
Cygnus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:26 PM   #4
tardman91
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tardman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get out and actually use it. Maybe tomorrow, but I think it's going to be cold and windy. So much for Florida being the sunshine state.
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 08:43 PM   #5
monk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got this same computer. Haven't used it yet, but I have to say the instructions on how to set it are a nightmare. The most confusing mess I've ever seen. Particularly difficult trying to figure out how to manually change the odometer.
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 01:49 AM   #6
desertdork
just pokin' along
 
desertdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the desert
Bikes:
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I just got this same computer. Haven't used it yet, but I have to say the instructions on how to set it are a nightmare. The most confusing mess I've ever seen. Particularly difficult trying to figure out how to manually change the odometer.
It's been a few months since I've had to do this, but...

1. With the computer removed from its mount, press the MENU button on the back to activate the menu screen
2. Using the MODE button, toggle through the screens until you reach the odometer screen ("Odo" and "InPut" should be visible).
3. Press and hold the MODE button to activate the manual input
4. The first digit should flash. Press MODE repeatedly until you reach the desired value for that digit. Then press and hold MODE to move to the next digit.
5. Repeat step #4 until you have entered desired odo reading
6. Press MENU when you are finished
desertdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 02:18 AM   #7
desertdork
just pokin' along
 
desertdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the desert
Bikes:
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
1) About how long will the batteries last? And do they tend to wear out at the same time, or will I be replacing one a lot more than the other?
Cateye suggests approx 1yr usage of 1-hr/day on the computer; the life of the sensor battery "should" be near 10,000km. FWIW, I replaced my computer battery when the display began to fade at slightly over one year (and just under 10,000 miles). I've never replaced that bike's sensor battery, which now has twice the mileage suggested by Cateye. Regardless, batteries are cheap and can be found in two-packs everywhere.

Quote:
2) From what I can tell, there is no way to turn the unit off? It just goes idle and displays the time, and if I don't use it for 2 weeks it goes into sleep mode? Is that correct?
Thanks!
You actually can put the computer to sleep manually by using the MODE and MENU buttons on the back of the unit. I forget the sequence (hold one, press the other twice?). The directions for doing this might be on the instruction sheet. In any case, when the computer reverts back to the current time after several minutes of nonuse, it is effectively in "idle" and isn't draining the battery by any means.

Do you ride in wet weather? I've heard (or maybe read on BF) that some cateye users have added some sort of grease (lithium?, electrical?, electrician's?, don't recall which) to the back of the battery to better seal out moisture and protect the contacts. Might be something worth searching. FYI, I ride in dry weather almost exclusively and haven't had a personal need to check this out. (And so you know, I'm not afraid of getting wet; it just seldom rains in the desert)
desertdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:09 AM   #8
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got less than a year on the factory battery in the head unit.

I've gone over a year on the replacement battery.

I'm still on the original battery on the sending unit.

As for the directions ... they are comically confusing for what is a very simple computer.

I think something was lost in the translation.
SlimAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:17 AM   #9
Wiswell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been contemplating moving to a wireless with cadence (I believe it is the double wireless). Has anyone encountered any transmission issues with this product given two wireless signals. Do both sensors attach to the rear of the bike?
Wiswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:16 AM   #10
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiswell View Post
I have been contemplating moving to a wireless with cadence (I believe it is the double wireless). Has anyone encountered any transmission issues with this product given two wireless signals. Do both sensors attach to the rear of the bike?
Not two sensors. Double uses a chainstay mounted unit that senses both a magnet (on rear wheel) and magnet on crank.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:48 PM   #11
tardman91
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tardman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I braved the cold and took a ride this morning. Put 10 miles on it and I love it. Having my speed displayed is helping me with my shifting and keeping my speed consistent. And I love the odometer and trip meter so I can keep track of my mileage. Definitely worth the $37 I spent on it.
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 08:06 PM   #12
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Double Wireless madness

i just removed my Strada Wireless (it will go on another bicycle) and put on a Strada Double Wireless -- the one with cadence.

I can get nothing to show on the head unit no MPH, no cadence.

Magnets are as close as can be to the two parts of the sending unit.

I took out the factory battery in the sending unit and put in a fresh one.

Still, no signal of anything with the wheel or crank is turning.

WTF?

Head unit looks OK I don't think the battery is weak (though the display does not appear as strong as it does in the Strada I took off). So I think I'm OK up there. I'd swap out the battery, to be sure, but don't have a stack of those batteries lying around.

Any ideas?
SlimAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:18 AM   #13
Yan 
BeaverTerror
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Shanghai, China
Bikes: 1995 Kestrel 4000; 2013 True North Touring; 1989 Miele Tivoli; 1979 Colnago Sport
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
I bought a pack of 30 batteries from dealextreme for something like 3 dollars, and then I stopped caring about how long they last...
__________________
Yan
Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 07:30 PM   #14
Elliots Quest
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver/Aurora Co
Bikes: Nishiki, Kodiak & C-Dale, Bad Boy Ultra
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon View Post
i just removed my Strada Wireless (it will go on another bicycle) and put on a Strada Double Wireless -- the one with cadence.

I can get nothing to show on the head unit — no MPH, no cadence.

Magnets are as close as can be to the two parts of the sending unit.

I took out the factory battery in the sending unit and put in a fresh one.

Still, no signal of anything with the wheel or crank is turning.

WTF?

Head unit looks OK — I don't think the battery is weak (though the display does not appear as strong as it does in the Strada I took off). So I think I'm OK up there. I'd swap out the battery, to be sure, but don't have a stack of those batteries lying around.

Any ideas?

Sometimes when I've replaced the battery unit or removed the comuter from the mounting bracket I could not get the computer to put up any readings.

After messing with it I found that if you walk with your bike at a slow pace it will then show a reading, strange but it has worked for me.

Aside from double checking distances between sensors and computer alignment with sensor....

Hope this helps
Elliots Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 07:35 PM   #15
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fixed!

I changed the battery in the computer. When I did, it wouldn't work ... so, checked those crazy directions, which said to hit the "all clear" to start some kind of initiation.

I did, it did ... and now everything is hitting on all eight cylinders.
SlimAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 12:07 PM   #16
patchadams
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ireland
Bikes: Time, Trek, Dawes, Dolan, Scott CR1
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdork View Post
It's been a few months since I've had to do this, but...

1. With the computer removed from its mount, press the MENU button on the back to activate the menu screen
2. Using the MODE button, toggle through the screens until you reach the odometer screen ("Odo" and "InPut" should be visible).
3. Press and hold the MODE button to activate the manual input
4. The first digit should flash. Press MODE repeatedly until you reach the desired value for that digit. Then press and hold MODE to move to the next digit.
5. Repeat step #4 until you have entered desired odo reading
6. Press MENU when you are finished

Thank you so much, this was the ONLY post in the internet (all of it) that made sense so I could reset my mileage.
Thank you
PA
patchadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 08:43 PM   #17
desertdork
just pokin' along
 
desertdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the desert
Bikes:
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchadams View Post
Thank you so much, this was the ONLY post in the internet (all of it) that made sense so I could reset my mileage.
Thank you
PA
You're welcome. I try to make the occasional sensible contribution on the internet to make up for some of my nonsense. Now that you're registered at BF, you've got to keep coming around.
desertdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.