Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-10, 11:48 AM   #1
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DIY flashlight mount

Apologies if there's already a thread for stuff like this but I don't frequent this SF.
Basket cargo kept blocking a bar-mounted light beam, so I made this the other day out of some scrap cedar, a 3" bolt/nylon nut and a Livestrong bracelet. A bit homespun, but it seems to work pretty well.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 12:44 PM   #2
Not the Slowest
Senior Member
 
Not the Slowest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Riverdale, NY
Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
lol, okay that can work.
Umm, perhaps sorten the bolt by 1/2", I hate to see something getting stuck between that and the spokes.

Now If I had a hammer.....
Not the Slowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 12:57 PM   #3
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
lol, okay that can work.
Umm, perhaps sorten the bolt by 1/2", I hate to see something getting stuck between that and the spokes.

Now If I had a hammer.....
Not feeling it, huh? I admit I was picturing something slightly more elegant when I started. There's actually quite a bit of space between the spokes and that bolt end, but cutting it is probably a good call.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 07:28 PM   #4
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
That's exactly what I need. Thanks for the inspiration. How strong is it?
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 08:07 PM   #5
CFXMarauder
Bikus Commuterus
 
CFXMarauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Bikes: Trek 820, Specialized Allez Sport
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Improvise and adapt at it's finest ! My OCD would kick in and Id have to make another for the opp side to even it out..
CFXMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 11:26 AM   #6
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
That's exactly what I need. Thanks for the inspiration. How strong is it?
It seems to be plenty strong. Of course cedar isn't the strongest wood, but it's light and easily worked, and I figured strong enough. The post is connected to the bracket by means of an epoxied mortise and tenon joint so it can't spin. And of course the bolt should keep the post from snapping if I hit a major bump.

The post could be slightly shorter and filed to a more pleasing shape. I think it might look a little nicer painted black, but I had some spar varnish so that's what I used.

I have another idea for a simple wooden post, drilled and slotted to attach to one rack post, with a single bolt/nut to clamp it tight. That one would be round for mounting a HB clamp light. If/when I make that I'll put a pic up on this thread.

Last edited by due ruote; 11-13-10 at 11:30 AM.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 07:44 PM   #7
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
It seems to be plenty strong. Of course cedar isn't the strongest wood, but it's light and easily worked, and I figured strong enough. The post is connected to the bracket by means of an epoxied mortise and tenon joint so it can't spin. And of course the bolt should keep the post from snapping if I hit a major bump.

The post could be slightly shorter and filed to a more pleasing shape. I think it might look a little nicer painted black, but I had some spar varnish so that's what I used.

I have another idea for a simple wooden post, drilled and slotted to attach to one rack post, with a single bolt/nut to clamp it tight. That one would be round for mounting a HB clamp light. If/when I make that I'll put a pic up on this thread.
I'll be keeping an eye out for this. I like seeing home made designs.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 09:00 AM   #8
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have this one, but yours looks cool. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...0052_164164_-1___
davidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.