Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    Clyde that Rides Aeneas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Magicshine Batteries to be Recalled by Geoman

    This kinda stinks, I just got my Magicshine and have really enjoyed being able to see when I commute, but I've also noticed that the battery doesn't seem to hold a charge particularly well... Then, just a couple minutes ago, I received this:


    To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

    Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our
    concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's
    lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November
    2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet
    Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and
    performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets
    and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear
    intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by
    Geomangear.

    We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering
    consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall
    options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and
    instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective
    action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

    If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November
    2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide
    you with an upgraded replacement battery pack. Despite our best efforts,
    this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can
    rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take,
    appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand
    behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may
    cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this
    unprecedented situation our company is facing.

    Thanks!!
    Geoman
    This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you
    feel that you have received this email in error, please send an email to
    geoman@geomangear.com
    This e-mail is sent in accordance with the US CAN-SPAM Law in effect
    01/01/2004. Removal requests can be sent to this address and will be honored
    and respected.
    I guess I gotta come up with another lighting solution while I wait for the situation to be resolved...

  2. #2
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat me to posting this - much as it's not what we wanted to read it's great they're doing something look out for their customers.

  3. #3
    Clyde that Rides Aeneas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Now I'm glad that I went with Geoman rather than ordering direct from China. There's something to be said for customer service like this...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't give details about the risks one is taking for continued use. I think, however, the whole issue (and major concern!) may have started a few weeks ago here on our forums. Someone posted that while charging the battery at work, the battery pack started smoking and was fairly close to burning (he had stepped out of his office for a little while). Luckily the gentleman returned right on time and was able to disconnect the battery pack before things got worse.
    Last edited by Chris Pringle; 11-15-10 at 04:01 PM.
    Handcrafted panniers and bags for the discerning cyclist


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Klein
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    They don't give details about the risks one is taking for continued use. I think, however, the whole issue (and major concern!) may have started a few weeks ago here on our forums. Someone posted that while charging the battery at work, the battery pack started smoking and was fairly close to burning (he had stepped out of his office for a little while). Luckily the gentleman returned right on time and was able to disconnect the battery pack before things got worse.
    And I suppose that having a battery fail during a ride while you're depending on the light could also be a safety concern.

  6. #6
    Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
    Posts
    2,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    And I suppose that having a battery fail during a ride while you're depending on the light could also be a safety concern.
    This is a common issue for most lights that all users should be aware of. Many lights simply switch off when the battery drops to a certain voltage, so its not always even a failure mode. You should ride accordingly(secondary light anytime that losing your primary would be a safety concern).
    This would not be a reason to recall based upon safety issues....

    If you are still using your Geomangear lights after reading this don't expect insurance companies to bail you out should the unthinkable happen.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I wonder if charging only when I can be right there keeping an eye on it would allow me to continue using it??

  8. #8
    I am a caffine girl colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a feeling this was comming......sigh.

    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    So I wonder if charging only when I can be right there keeping an eye on it would allow me to continue using it??
    That will decrease the chances of a possible big fire during charging. Beside that, there is also the risk of those 18650 venting while they are inside your pannier bag. I have yet to hear that happening but it can happen. When I mounted my pack, I made sure it was in it's own container made of plastic and not cloth material. I also had some fiberglass cloth wrapped around the pack before slipping it inside the container. That was a preventive measure in case it vent and start a flame.
    "Difference between a well dressed cyclist riding a two wheeled bicycle and a badly dressed cyclist riding a Recumbent is only a-tire"
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Some people got their head so far up their butt such that the only thing they hear is muffle when trying to explain anything to them! I only wish they take it out sometimes to smell the roses.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winter Garden, FL
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have more specifics as to what the failures are? Or perhaps any word on if folks will be receiving refunds or replacements?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch, this hurts. I really need mine. Just ordered a Milion 200, which, dammit, was what I almost ordered INSTEAD OF the MS. Hope this is taken care of quickly, and I'll have to use mine tomorrow -- won't get the Milion until Wednesday.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm No longer but here are my thoughts;
    a) The email (which I did not receive) is a standard disclaimer and required vs a mandatory recall by the CPSC.
    b) We may or may not receive a battery. The responsibility is to notify us of the danger.
    c) We could receive a new battery or a credit or nothing. The Chinese can just say screw you, as there is very little that an foreign buyer can get in terms of legal recourse.
    d) My guess? Geoman will file chapter 11 and close up to avoid any possible class action suits against them. This of course would be OUR consumer right to do.
    Filing will void them from having to pay out.

    Of course this is just a guess on my part, but we'll see what happens.
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm not sure about what I should do then. I use my MS lights every day. I recharge the battery twice a day. Do I need to fork out the scratch for some other lights? They'll cost much more than the MS's. Can I just get a replacement battery somewhere else that would be compatible with my lights? Uggh! I just want to ride my bike and not worry about crap like this.

    Any suggestions would be welcome.

  13. #13
    Junior Mint
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    My Bikes
    Trek 830
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd790 View Post
    Do I need to fork out the scratch for some other lights? They'll cost much more than the MS's.
    Now you know why.

    Somehow I am not really surprised.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Tunnelrat81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was posted on another forum...does any one here understand enough about these batteries to know if something like this could be swapped in...just by changing the plug??

    http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

    If this thing ends up stringing out, I'll be looking for a different battery source. I JUST bought this for my wife maybe a month ago and she needs it regularly to commute home safely.

    -Jeremy

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Klein
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    This is a common issue for most lights that all users should be aware of. Many lights simply switch off when the battery drops to a certain voltage, so its not always even a failure mode. You should ride accordingly(secondary light anytime that losing your primary would be a safety concern).
    This would not be a reason to recall based upon safety issues....

    If you are still using your Geomangear lights after reading this don't expect insurance companies to bail you out should the unthinkable happen.
    You're probably correct that the failure that lead them to start the voluntary recall was the fire risk when charging the battery pack.

    I'm sure the company will do the best they can by their customers, but it might be overly optimistic to expect them to replace the battery that they sold for $50 and the charger they sold for $10 when the total for the set was $90.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW the charger has a phony UL certification on it. That doesn't inspire too much confidence in it.....

  17. #17
    of Clan Nrubso ChrisO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kitsap
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW the charger has a phony UL certification on it. That doesn't inspire too much confidence in it.....
    Not trying to start an argument, but can you elaborate/post source for this?
    This whole thing is really a bummer; for us and for them (Geomangear). But, as they say, you pays your money, you takes your chances. There is risk involved with buying what could be cheap Chinese crap.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UL marking has no product id number on it as all UL tested products are required to have. I brought this up in a thread here to geoman, but I got no response. I'm on my phone, so searching BF is a pain, but I'm sure you can find the post.

  19. #19
    Spinning @ 33 RPM Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd790 View Post
    Can I just get a replacement battery somewhere else that would be compatible with my lights? Uggh! I just want to ride my bike and not worry about crap like this.

    Any suggestions would be welcome.
    I actually use my Dinotte batteries with my MS light. I have a 2-cell Dinotte battery and it is much lighter when mounted to my helmet. They also make a 4-cell battery. It works just fine with the MS.
    1989 Fuji Saratoga
    1997 Schwinn Mesa SS
    2007 Felt F1X
    2008 Transition Vagrant SOLD!
    2010 Transition TransAM
    2011 Soma Analog SS

  20. #20
    I am a caffine girl colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    The UL marking has no product id number on it as all UL tested products are required to have. I brought this up in a thread here to geoman, but I got no response. I'm on my phone, so searching BF is a pain, but I'm sure you can find the post.
    It was on the long Magicshine 900 thread near the begininng of the year.
    Page 6. Post # 146 and Post #148
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...00-lumen/page6
    Last edited by colleen c; 11-16-10 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added extra post number
    "Difference between a well dressed cyclist riding a two wheeled bicycle and a badly dressed cyclist riding a Recumbent is only a-tire"
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Some people got their head so far up their butt such that the only thing they hear is muffle when trying to explain anything to them! I only wish they take it out sometimes to smell the roses.

  21. #21
    I am a caffine girl colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81 View Post
    This was posted on another forum...does any one here understand enough about these batteries to know if something like this could be swapped in...just by changing the plug??

    http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

    If this thing ends up stringing out, I'll be looking for a different battery source. I JUST bought this for my wife maybe a month ago and she needs it regularly to commute home safely.

    -Jeremy
    That pack looks equivalent. As long as it is 7.4v at 4000 mah or higher will work. The connector should be a 5.5mm x 2.1mm in size. Personally I have yet to try a Trail Tech connector from Battery Space but it should work. It will be not as waterproof as the original, so put the connector in a water resistant bag. When I was playing with my MS tail light, I even found a DC power Jack from RadioShack that worked (lol of all place). It was a lot bigger but useable.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102490
    "Difference between a well dressed cyclist riding a two wheeled bicycle and a badly dressed cyclist riding a Recumbent is only a-tire"
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Some people got their head so far up their butt such that the only thing they hear is muffle when trying to explain anything to them! I only wish they take it out sometimes to smell the roses.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    I actually use my Dinotte batteries with my MS light. I have a 2-cell Dinotte battery and it is much lighter when mounted to my helmet. They also make a 4-cell battery. It works just fine with the MS.
    Hi Glynis27,

    Did you have to do anything to the connectors?
    What is the run time on the 2 cell?

    Thanks

    Rob
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  23. #23
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colleen,

    Do you think the MS charger would work or would I need to get another?
    If it did work and I bought a pack that was larger would ITHEN need a different charger or it would just take longer to charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    That pack looks equivalent. As long as it is 7.4v at 4000 mah or higher will work. The connector should be a 5.5mm x 2.1mm in size. Personally I have yet to try a Trail Tech connector from Battery Space but it should work. It will be not as waterproof as the original, so put the connector in a water resistant bag. When I was playing with my MS tail light, I even found a DC power Jack from RadioShack that worked (lol of all place). It was a lot bigger but useable.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102490
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  24. #24
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    It was on the long Magicshine 900 thread near the begininng of the year.
    Page 6. Post # 146 and Post #148
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...00-lumen/page6
    Thanks Colleen!

  25. #25
    I am a caffine girl colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    Colleen,

    Do you think the MS charger would work or would I need to get another?
    If it did work and I bought a pack that was larger would ITHEN need a different charger or it would just take longer to charge?
    If you have not experience any charger issue problem, then the MS charger will probably be fine. If you want to be sure and have a digital volt meter, you may want to see what is the voltage of your charger. Ideally 8.4 is good. It is consider high at 8.5v. I would think 8.6v is a no no volt because this means each cell are getting 4.3 volts and that is for sure overcharging and even dangerous because 0.1 volt in LiIon cell is a big change.
    "Difference between a well dressed cyclist riding a two wheeled bicycle and a badly dressed cyclist riding a Recumbent is only a-tire"
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Some people got their head so far up their butt such that the only thing they hear is muffle when trying to explain anything to them! I only wish they take it out sometimes to smell the roses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •