Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MS 1400 or dual 900's?

    Okay, so I've been doing some reading and rethinking my lighting strategy. I was thinking about getting multiple LED flashlights that way I would have built-in redundancy due to a failure. Only thing is, that would mean keeping track of/ recharging # of cells x 2 (or more) for multiple lights, possibly multiple chargers at both home and work... it appears to be a logistical nightmare for someone who isn't the most detail orientated.

    So, I popped over to Geoman's site. The MS light heads are still available (as there is nothing wrong with them)- it's the light sets that include the battery and charger that have been pulled. Two 900 heads cost only a few bucks more than one 1400, but then factor in the cost of a y connector and source battery and charger elsewhere.

    But a dual set-up, running off a single power source... isn't that like having built-in redundancy? Obviously if the battery flat lines that's one thing, but if something should happen to one of the heads, so long as battery has juice and nothing wrong with the cable, then the other head should work, right?

    If my logic is correct, then I'm also going to need info/links on what/where to source the battery and charger. And I'm okay with a bottle pack, as I've got a cage on the outside, bottom part of the down tube that I'm not using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  2. #2
    Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres some issues with the light heads but long term the battery is the weak point.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Theres some issues with the light heads but long term the battery is the weak point.


    I was not aware. Nor am I sure if a MS would've worked for my bike/bus commute anyway. Guess I'll get the cheapest dyno hub+light I can find and augment that with a couple of flashlights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post


    I was not aware. Nor am I sure if a MS would've worked for my bike/bus commute anyway. Guess I'll get the cheapest dyno hub+light I can find and augment that with a couple of flashlights.
    I've been using Dinotte lights for a few years now. I'll be switching over to dynohub lights as money permits. The Dinottes are great lights, but keeping batteries charged is a pain. I ride everyday, so it seems I'm constantly switching batteries around.

    There are some good dyno-powered headlights for $100. You still need the new hub (and wheel built), but it seems worth it. You can still use your battery lights as backups.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the secret is having battery packs with run time to spare. I only have to charge batteries every two days. I could probably do three in a pinch. I don't know if anyone is making dynamo powered lights with the kind of light output a MagicShine emits. The MS is my new gold standard light. I need every single lumen of that light on my commute. In driving rain two would actually be a little better. After all is factored in: hub, wheelbuilding and lights... ... and I am assuming there are no third world knock-offs of this kind of technology... ... I suppose if you have to ask... and I do...

    H

  6. #6
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    For me the secret is having battery packs with run time to spare. I only have to charge batteries every two days. I could probably do three in a pinch. I don't know if anyone is making dynamo powered lights with the kind of light output a MagicShine emits. The MS is my new gold standard light. I need every single lumen of that light on my commute. In driving rain two would actually be a little better. After all is factored in: hub, wheelbuilding and lights... ... and I am assuming there are no third world knock-offs of this kind of technology... ... I suppose if you have to ask... and I do...

    H
    Looks like I'm back in the battery camp.

    After spending some time reading over on Peter White's and Sheldon's sites, I don't think a dyno will work for me. My next bike will have disc brakes, and if I understand it correctly, a dyno-disc set-up isn't possible.

    Whatever I end up with has to be able to run at a minimum of 2 hours on high per day. One hour in the morning to travel on a MUP that is lit in some places, but not in others. The other hour will be either on the same MUP or some back roads, depending on my mood and how much daylight is left.

    Another reason why I was leaning towards a dyno was because I'm a multi-modal commuter (bus/bike). Local transit requests all things that could fall off during transport be removed. Mounting and removing and re-mounting daily would become tiresome in a hurry, but I may not have a choice. If I knew for sure how solid the mounting of both the light head and the battery pack were, I might be tempted to just leave them on the bike during transport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  7. #7
    Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Looks like I'm back in the battery camp.

    After spending some time reading over on Peter White's and Sheldon's sites, I don't think a dyno will work for me. My next bike will have disc brakes, and if I understand it correctly, a dyno-disc set-up isn't possible.

    Whatever I end up with has to be able to run at a minimum of 2 hours on high per day. One hour in the morning to travel on a MUP that is lit in some places, but not in others. The other hour will be either on the same MUP or some back roads, depending on my mood and how much daylight is left.

    Another reason why I was leaning towards a dyno was because I'm a multi-modal commuter (bus/bike). Local transit requests all things that could fall off during transport be removed. Mounting and removing and re-mounting daily would become tiresome in a hurry, but I may not have a choice. If I knew for sure how solid the mounting of both the light head and the battery pack were, I might be tempted to just leave them on the bike during transport.
    I have a shimano hub dynamo on my MTB. There are disc specific models.

    Pretty inexpensive.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    I have a shimano hub dynamo on my MTB. There are disc specific models.

    Pretty inexpensive.
    Either the info I read was out of date, or I was mistaken. At any rate, thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  9. #9
    Senior Member canyoneagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Palisade, CO
    My Bikes
    Singular Gryphon fully rigid 29er multi-use. Nuvinci N360 IGH
    Posts
    4,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Shimano Alfine Dynohub, which accepts a centerloc disc. I was going to do the wheel build myself, but got the whole wheel for less than I could have built it up myself: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=35503

    The newer LED dynamo lights seem to be every bit as good as many of the battery-powered offerings.

    I'm very happy with the light my new Supernova E3 puts out, despite running into (an apparently rare) faulty standlight capacitor. The light still works fine, but my standlight and tail light rely on the capacitor.

    Anyway, it is worth considering a dynamo setup instead of battery-based.
    Currently one bike: Singular Gryphon do-it all bike with Nuvinci N360
    Coming soon (winter project) Ciocc Designer '84 mod build
    Temporary (on loan from a buddy): 1985 Raleigh Prestige

  10. #10
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    2,982
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    But a dual set-up, running off a single power source... isn't that like having built-in redundancy?
    Yes, it is like having some built-in redundancy, but really -- the most likely problem you'll encounter on a ride, by far, is your battery dying, either because you forgot to charge it, or you were out longer than expected, or you forgot to turn it off when not in use, or the battery wearing out ...

    However, if you keep a spare battery in with your spare tube and tools ... you're redundant again. You could even make a pack with six NiMH cells -- I'd suggest the low self discharge rate ones so they'll last months between charges -- and while they won't work well at high power, they'll work great at the lower power settings.

    Personally, I keep a $1.80 mount and a P7 flashlight in my bag as a spare light, and it's also useful if I need a flashlight. And I generally have one good light on my bars (a P7 flashlight, or my MS900 usually) and one smaller light (like a PB Blaze) that I bought before I found these better lights ...

  11. #11
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,318
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Okay, so I've been doing some reading and rethinking my lighting strategy. I was thinking about getting multiple LED flashlights that way I would have built-in redundancy due to a failure. Only thing is, that would mean keeping track of/ recharging # of cells x 2 (or more) for multiple lights, possibly multiple chargers at both home and work... it appears to be a logistical nightmare for someone who isn't the most detail orientated.

    So, I popped over to Geoman's site. The MS light heads are still available (as there is nothing wrong with them)- it's the light sets that include the battery and charger that have been pulled. Two 900 heads cost only a few bucks more than one 1400, but then factor in the cost of a y connector and source battery and charger elsewhere.

    But a dual set-up, running off a single power source... isn't that like having built-in redundancy? Obviously if the battery flat lines that's one thing, but if something should happen to one of the heads, so long as battery has juice and nothing wrong with the cable, then the other head should work, right?

    If my logic is correct, then I'm also going to need info/links on what/where to source the battery and charger. And I'm okay with a bottle pack, as I've got a cage on the outside, bottom part of the down tube that I'm not using.
    I have both. The 1400 is okay but not really all that useful. It's a 900 with a couple of mouse ears stuck on it. The mouse ears don't add much to the overall light. Two 900 lightheads would give more, and more usable, light.

    I'd rather have 2 lights with two batteries rather than 2 lights with one battery. The problem with running two lamps off the same battery is that if the battery fails, you are riding in the dark Most of the issues I've ever had with lights had to do with battery problems than with the lamp itself. Even when I was using halogen, I was more likely to have problems with the battery than the bulb.

    You might want to order a y connector anyway because then you'll have the leads you need for the battery. You can get batteries from Battery Space. The battery that the MS uses is a 4200 mAh battery. I don't know that I'd go the the $40 Chinese pack at the bottom of page 1 since this is probably similar to the one that Geoman has been having issues with.

    As for the reliability of the light head, I haven't had any issues with mine. It works and does what I want it to. But then I run it in full on mode all the time and don't mess with the flashy or dimmy bits
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  12. #12
    I am a caffine girl colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Whatever I end up with has to be able to run at a minimum of 2 hours on high per day. One hour in the morning to travel on a MUP that is lit in some places, but not in others. The other hour will be either on the same MUP or some back roads, depending on my mood and how much daylight is left.

    Another reason why I was leaning towards a dyno was because I'm a multi-modal commuter (bus/bike). Local transit requests all things that could fall off during transport be removed. Mounting and removing and re-mounting daily would become tiresome in a hurry, but I may not have a choice. If I knew for sure how solid the mounting of both the light head and the battery pack were, I might be tempted to just leave them on the bike during transport.
    A single MS pack will only give 1.5 hrs of runtime with two MS900 on high. If you planning to run both lights, you will have to manage your battery consumption on a single pack. Better off with two packs and two MS900.

    If you wear a helmet, you have the option of mounting one light on your helmet with one battery pack in your jacket pocket. This may help cutdown on having to remove two lighthead off your bike. You can leave one battery pack on your bike by placing it in a water bottle and run the wires out. Zip tie the bottle to the holder so it won't bounce off while in transit.
    "Difference between a well dressed cyclist riding a two wheeled bicycle and a badly dressed cyclist riding a Recumbent is only a-tire"
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Some people got their head so far up their butt such that the only thing they hear is muffle when trying to explain anything to them! I only wish they take it out sometimes to smell the roses.

  13. #13
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Theres some issues with the light heads but long term the battery is the weak point.
    The problems or recall is related to the battery, I've not heard of any issues with the lighthead itself. Many people on here have found suitable replacement battery packs.. I still have a 1st gen MS light that is 1.5 years old and has no issues..

  14. #14
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far. However, I've also been reading the threads about the new Gemini Titan. From what I can tell, this light just might usurp the throne from the MS light. Even colleenc is impressed with it (and prefers it for commuting on road), which I must admit speaks volumes.

    That being said, I'm hesitant to just order a Titan. It's a relative newcomer to the game, and the vendor's reputation hasn't been established.

    Hopefully, Geoman will start sourcing batteries/chargers for the MS soon. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gone the route some of the end users have done and found an alternate source, sort of like a custom light set. Sell the MS lights with a third party battery and charger. Of course, Geoman inking a deal with Gemini to be the U.S. distributor wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  15. #15
    Cyclologist Plutonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On 2 Wheels
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Nova version MS on eBay looks the best and the Geo version is being eclipsed. The Nova a decent flash like the Gemini, Hi-Med-Lo (I dont use low much but like having it), longer warranty than MS and the improved controls.

    They are the ones claiming to have magically come up with a UL charger and battery the same month Geo announced the pending recall - a bit too coincidental, I think. I checked and the model number he gave is not in the UL database; he also says he saw spec sheets from the manufacturer showing they are using LG cells. Prolly not. But it still has a 1y/6m warranty.

    Best combo looks like the Nova light head with 5200mah Gemini pack; second choice would be all Gemini but I'd like to wait for a US distributor.
    Man does not live by one bike alone.
    2010 Trek 4500
    2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •