Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 175
  1. #51
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclocommuter View Post
    Check out a similar app (open source) by VeryMAdMart:
    http://sites.google.com/site/verymadmart/cyclecam
    The download link gives a "Page not found" - thanks.

  2. #52
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,822
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    The download link gives a "Page not found" - thanks.
    Works OK here. Firefox 4, Windows XP
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  3. #53
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching this thread for a while now and this past weekend decided to finally step into the world of video. While not a classic helmet cam, my new Samsung F50 will be light enough at 8 oz. to mount to my helmet and get better video than any of the budget cams (Veho MuVi and the like) out there. The main reason behind the purchase was my daughter's HS graduation, but for $130 I felt I could not go wrong hoping to use it on the helmet as well. Battery life is incredible, but there's really no point in taking video on a century, so a half hour commute will be just fine with a 1Gb card.

    Found some cool helmet mounts on DX, but I think there is a use for some old tubes I have lying around as a means to affix the cam to my helmet securely. Still developing the plan.

  4. #54
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    Cant you just use this? Looks fun to play around with...

    http://www.dashware.net/
    Just a follow-up. I used this software to incorporate Garmin 705 stats into my video. Excuse the quality - it was recorded in HD but I had to dumb the quality down for uploading to YouTube, else it would have been hours to upload (DSL).


  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTDub View Post
    how would you protect it from rain or if you have a fall?

  6. #56
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,822
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you underestimate how much 8 ounces is when strapped to a helmet.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  7. #57
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ____asdfghjkl View Post
    how would you protect it from rain or if you have a fall?
    It is waterproof to 5 ft, which will be plenty of coverage for just rain. It's pretty dry here, and if the rain does start falling, stow the camera.

    I do not fall.

  8. #58
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    I think you underestimate how much 8 ounces is when strapped to a helmet.
    My helmet weighs 8 ounces, and it doesn't bother me as opposed to riding helmetless.

  9. #59
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,822
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure that whatever mount you use to put that on your helmet will break away if something hits the camera, otherwise hitting something with it could cause anything from neck injury to a crash.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  10. #60
    Senior Member oban_kobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My flashlight (~3oz) gets annoying sometimes. 8 would be really annoying.
    This is super seriously.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTDub View Post
    It is waterproof to 5 ft, which will be plenty of coverage for just rain. It's pretty dry here, and if the rain does start falling, stow the camera.

    I do not fall.
    I meant like if you have an accident with a car?
    I thought maybe it would have housing or a case for it.

    i wouldnt want to break something that was $130
    it's pretty cool that it is waterproof to 5ft.

    that's a pound on your head!

  12. #62
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ____asdfghjkl View Post
    I meant like if you have an accident with a car?
    I thought maybe it would have housing or a case for it.

    i wouldnt want to break something that was $130
    it's pretty cool that it is waterproof to 5ft.

    that's a pound on your head!
    Oh, I hear ya. I know I cannot plan for everything, but my commute is early in the a.m. and in the evening there is light traffic, and that's only when I'm not using the trail. I'm sure that even though it is only a pound (helmet + cam), it would become annoying after an hour or so, but my commute is only 30-40 minutes.

    FWIW, the Hero only weights 2 oz. less...

  13. #63
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTDub View Post
    Oh, I hear ya. I know I cannot plan for everything, but my commute is early in the a.m. and in the evening there is light traffic, and that's only when I'm not using the trail. I'm sure that even though it is only a pound (helmet + cam), it would become annoying after an hour or so, but my commute is only 30-40 minutes.

    FWIW, the Hero only weights 2 oz. less...
    Nice camera at a good price. I wouldnt woory about the $ it cost and breaking it, if Iwas worried about breaking something in a crash Id never ride my carbon bike - it cost way more than $130

  14. #64
    Sputnik - beep beep beep Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY
    My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been checking out http://jonescam.tv. From their promo info they have been making professional-grade cams for longer than anybody, and the price is about $180. They seem to focus on the auto/snowmobile/dirt motorcycle market.

  15. #65
    Senior Member SactoDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 Bottecchia CF67, 1991 BCA CitiCross, 1998 Mongoose Mountain Bike
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has been very informative for me. Thank you to everyone that contributed.

    I just ordered a Drift HD 170 Stealth:

    http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/

    I was considering the Contour and GoPro but I decided to go with the Drift since it has much better controls than the other two.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoDoug View Post
    This thread has been very informative for me. Thank you to everyone that contributed.

    I just ordered a Drift HD 170 Stealth:

    http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/

    I was considering the Contour and GoPro but I decided to go with the Drift since it has much better controls than the other two.
    if you have ever seen the tv show Triple Rush I think that's the cameras they use. it looks pretty nice.

  17. #67
    Senior Member SactoDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 Bottecchia CF67, 1991 BCA CitiCross, 1998 Mongoose Mountain Bike
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I found this web site very informative with the side by side comparrisons:

    http://www.actioncameras.co.za/compa...t_cameras.html

  18. #68
    rain-forest commuter
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    2008 Kona Dr. Dew, 2002 Kona MokoMoko, 1994 Cadex, 1990 Breezer Thunder
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I've been checking out http://jonescam.tv. From their promo info they have been making professional-grade cams for longer than anybody, and the price is about $180. They seem to focus on the auto/snowmobile/dirt motorcycle market.
    That looks just about perfect - 3 oz and waterproof to 20 feet. That's the camera I'm going to get.
    2008 Kona Dr. Dew
    2002 Kona MokoMoko
    1994 Giant Cadex
    1990 Breezer Thunder

  19. #69
    Wanderer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denver- Wash Park
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush 2010 LTD- 84 Raleigh Marathon- 05 Surly LHT
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any advice on using a GoPro Hero HD at night or in low light?

    I have been considering buying one for commuting and to capture video of our weekly night rides just for fun. These would be in city streets with ambient light plus a few hundred cyclist with headlights. I'd love to see some examples of others usages at night.
    '10 Soma Rush LTD *SS*
    '84 Raleigh Marathon
    '05 Surly Long Haul Trucker

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was video taping on my GoPro yesterday on a very rough road and though I should have a lanyard attached just in case the bracket broke or something.

    Well it happened! it vibrated its way right of the end of the lower handle bar and bounced off the road, before I knew it I turned my head thinking it was the riders cel phone in front of me.

    Holy crap my camera, and just then a big heavy duty pick up truck ran it over with one of it's front tires. I felt really sick.

    I swooped back to pick it up before a car ran over it. I was in total shock, it was turned on by the truck tire, I pressed record and the red light came on.
    Other than road rash on the case and the start button jammed on, it was in very good shape, including the custom mount I made and adapted to the gopro tripod mount. I made this mount to swivel in any direction with minimal resistance.


  21. #71
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got the DX FotoPro camera mount after waiting an entire epoch for it to arrive in the mail. Also running a DX spy cam on the helmet. Welcome to 1998.

    Video will be posted as soon as I figure out how to use YouTube


  22. #72
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first take with the Samsung F54 mounted to the helmet. Handlebar mount vibrated too much, even with anti-shake activated. Scan lines are because I was mistakenly set at TV/Fine instead of Web/Normal. The 8 oz. cam on the helmet was not at all a significant weight addition. Apologies for the dull video - taken from the middle of the commute home.


  23. #73
    $ sudo shift sudoshift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, California USA
    My Bikes
    2008 Dahon Curve SL | Some type of 20-inch foldie
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclocommuter View Post
    I have been using GoPro HD cameras since these were released and have had no problems. Some of the people I know have been using Contour HD. IMHO, GoPro HD has better video quality (colors are more saturated). Also the 170 degree wide angle setting when recording at 720p gives a better perspective of speed, again my opinion.

    It is indeed bulkier when mounted on a helmet but you can mount it on the handlebar, chest, etc., if this bothers you. The controls do indeed take getting used to but after a while you get accustomed to it.

    EDIT: Here is a sample video from my 2 GoPro cameras (one mounted in the drops and the other one facing to the rear on the seatpost):

    As far as the grade and speed extra goodies. How did you guys/gals come up with this? Is it a feature built-in to the camera or do you need some other "magic"?
    david@bikeforums:/sudoshift$ | Call me a "hipster" or an "UrbanCyclist" but I just like to ride bikes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2008 Dahon Curve SL | 20" Commuting Folding Bike
    Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sudoshift
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/sudoshift
    Twitter: sudoshift

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #74
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclocommuter View Post
    I have been using GoPro HD cameras since these were released and have had no problems. Some of the people I know have been using Contour HD. IMHO, GoPro HD has better video quality (colors are more saturated). Also the 170 degree wide angle setting when recording at 720p gives a better perspective of speed, again my opinion.

    It is indeed bulkier when mounted on a helmet but you can mount it on the handlebar, chest, etc., if this bothers you. The controls do indeed take getting used to but after a while you get accustomed to it.

    EDIT: Here is a sample video from my 2 GoPro cameras (one mounted in the drops and the other one facing to the rear on the seatpost):
    Grand Funk?
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

  25. #75
    Igo
    Igo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Henderson/Las Vegas NV
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTDub View Post
    The first take with the Samsung F54 mounted to the helmet. Handlebar mount vibrated too much, even with anti-shake activated. Scan lines are because I was mistakenly set at TV/Fine instead of Web/Normal. The 8 oz. cam on the helmet was not at all a significant weight addition. Apologies for the dull video - taken from the middle of the commute home.

    Not boring. I love the MUP and swing/jazz. Where is your trail?
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

    Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •