Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Video Cameras - Please advise

    Hey!

    My next investment will be a nice action small camera for my fast road cycling group rides. Need some input and clarification.

    Of course there's the famous Hero Go Pro. Then there's also the Contour. What are the main differences? Which is best? What else is there? How does the 960 pixel, more affordable go pro, compare to the 1080 model? I'd like to spend less if quality is still OK.

    By the way, where's the "ride video thread", which I can't find using search? I'd like to have the data displayed in the video like on some of those. I have a Garmin Edge 500.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    2,986
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a GoProHD 1080p and ContourGPS.

    I like the GoPro better. Reasons?

    -- the video quality seems a bit better
    -- parts and accessories are cheaper (bike mount? $20 GoPro, $30 Contour, and that 50% premium for comparable parts is pretty typical.)

    A few flaws with the ContourGPS to mention --

    -- the GPS is really bad at getting a lock. It requires a much clearer view of the sky than any modern GPS I've used and takes longer.
    -- it gets quite hot when just the GPS is on, telling me it's sucking the battery down.
    -- you can only select between two preset video modes out in the field. To change those two modes, you have to connect it to a computer or use their iPhone app.
    -- the iPhone app sounds neat -- it uses bluetooth and you can see what the camera sees and configure it from the iPhone. But it requires an extra $30 card to be added to the camera before this works.

    However, the ContourGPS does save the data you're likely interested in -- once it finds the satellites, anyways. You could do that with an external GPS and the GoPro if you had the clock set precisely, but it's a lot more work.

    I've never tried the other versions of the GoPro.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmc View Post
    I own a GoProHD 1080p and ContourGPS.

    I like the GoPro better. Reasons?

    -- the video quality seems a bit better
    -- parts and accessories are cheaper (bike mount? $20 GoPro, $30 Contour, and that 50% premium for comparable parts is pretty typical.)

    A few flaws with the ContourGPS to mention --

    -- the GPS is really bad at getting a lock. It requires a much clearer view of the sky than any modern GPS I've used and takes longer.
    -- it gets quite hot when just the GPS is on, telling me it's sucking the battery down.
    -- you can only select between two preset video modes out in the field. To change those two modes, you have to connect it to a computer or use their iPhone app.
    -- the iPhone app sounds neat -- it uses bluetooth and you can see what the camera sees and configure it from the iPhone. But it requires an extra $30 card to be added to the camera before this works.

    However, the ContourGPS does save the data you're likely interested in -- once it finds the satellites, anyways. You could do that with an external GPS and the GoPro if you had the clock set precisely, but it's a lot more work.

    I've never tried the other versions of the GoPro.

    Thanks!
    Considering I own a Garmin, I don't think I'd go with the ContourGPS then. Your +1 for the GoPro also helps. Interesting with respect to the clocks having to be in perfect sync. I'd think there'd be a way to offset if needed the data and video on the software that overlaps them, dashware, no?

    Any opinions on the more affordable gopro's?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    2,986
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls View Post
    Considering I own a Garmin, I don't think I'd go with the ContourGPS then. Your +1 for the GoPro also helps. Interesting with respect to the clocks having to be in perfect sync. I'd think there'd be a way to offset if needed the data and video on the software that overlaps them, dashware, no?
    Well, if the clocks aren't in sync, your data will be similarly out of sync. As for a way to offset it, the software ought to offer that, but I've never tried to use it, so I dunno.

    Any opinions on the more affordable gopro's?
    Never used them myself, so no.

  5. #5
    Loves to suffer freighttraininguphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster 42x16 SS, Peugeot mixte 42x16 FG, Specialized Dolce Triple, Trek Wahoo 29er, Bike Friday Pocket Companion folder, TerraTrike Rover
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls View Post
    By the way, where's the "ride video thread", which I can't find using search?
    Here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-Video-Thread

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

    I see that the 960p gopro aside from obviously not recording in 1080p, also lacks the 60fps 720p, which is what we really want.. So that's clear.

    Anyone recommend Contour over GoPro and why?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Speedster SX
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to compare Contour to more mainstream camcorders, camcorderinfo recently reviewed it and compared it to a few of them (Kodak Playsport Zx3, Sanyo Xacti VPC-CS1, and Sony MHS-FS3.)

    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Got the GoPro Hero 1080p Helmet bundle + Handlebar/ Seatpost mount.

    That mount will not work so well for me as my handlebars are actually thicker than 1.4" . I may need to swap to a Roll Bar mount. I'll likely mount it on my helmet tomorrow, using the vented helmet strap.

    Didn't get it all setup in enough time for today's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93459770

    I had problems installing the dashware. Any alternatives? If not, I'll give it another go. May need to clean the registry so it will let me retry.

    I shot 5 quick videos in my apartment last night to test the different resolutions and they looked grainy. is it because it's not meant for indoors / artificial lighting?

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •