Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,475
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Headlght tilted slightly outward - is it bad?

    Because of the curvy handlebar shape of my bike, when I mounted my headlight near the left side, it is slightly tilted left, the light goes not straight forward but slightly to the left. Now I've added another light on the right side to "balance" it. So I now have two headlights both tilted a little outward--like this: \ / (seen from above). Is it bad?

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,091
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,475
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestion how to solve this?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Because of the curvy handlebar shape of my bike, when I mounted my headlight near the left side, it is slightly tilted left, the light goes not straight forward but slightly to the left. Now I've added another light on the right side to "balance" it. So I now have two headlights both tilted a little outward--like this: \ / (seen from above). Is it bad?
    Who cares how the light-housings look: where are the beams landing? Take the bike out when it's dark, and manipulate the lights until they illuminate the pavement as you want them to, then figure out how to fasten them to the bicycle such the illumination remains that way.

  5. #5
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,475
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lights are just slightly tilted outward (the \ / above is a little exaggerated). If I want it very straight forward, I might have to remove my basket, which uses the only "straight" part of the handlebar.

    Now when you use two headlights, I guess it would be a good idea to set one in steady and the other flash mode? If so, which one in flash would be better--the left or right one?

  6. #6
    Grandpa with spunk Randy Bosma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Calumet Region
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX (2009)
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    The lights are just slightly tilted outward (the \ / above is a little exaggerated). If I want it very straight forward, I might have to remove my basket, which uses the only "straight" part of the handlebar.

    Now when you use two headlights, I guess it would be a good idea to set one in steady and the other flash mode? If so, which one in flash would be better--the left or right one?
    Don't worry about the exact perfect straight forward - as long as the road ahead of you is lit to your satisfaction. As for the flashing one, your choice; flash the left one on odd days, and the right one on even days.

    You could also consider using the Minoura LH50 fork mount - an accessory that lets you put your headlight on the front fork, either side; that leaves your handlebar clear for other accessories.
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

  7. #7
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try getting one of these and mount (if possible) to the straight section of your bars behind the basket. Then play with the positioning of it and your lights until you're satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  8. #8
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    The lights are just slightly tilted outward (the \ / above is a little exaggerated). If I want it very straight forward, I might have to remove my basket, which uses the only "straight" part of the handlebar.

    Now when you use two headlights, I guess it would be a good idea to set one in steady and the other flash mode? If so, which one in flash would be better--the left or right one?
    Again, if the road ahead is illuminated properly for you, it doesn't much matter whether there's a slight tilt to the housing of the light relative to the handlebar.

    Do the world a favor, and do not use either light as a blinkie. The setting annoys the hell out of people (it certainly pisses with me), and it's useless at lighting your path.

  9. #9
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,475
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about blinkie annoyance--it actually annoys myself.

    I forget to mention, I use the headlight mainly for "being seen". I wonder if the slightly outward lights have any undesirable effect? Could any accident happen due to this?

  10. #10
    `````````````` CaptainCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san jose
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    I forget to mention, I use the headlight mainly for "being seen". I wonder if the slightly outward lights have any undesirable effect? Could any accident happen due to this?
    No, relax. The splash from a car headlight is many times more powerful than a be-seen light.

  11. #11
    Senior Member degnaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    1,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem, and I only have one (to see) light. The hotspot of the light ends up landing outside my line of travel. I do have the flashlight on a relatively loose mount, though (its held between a wristband-thingy and the bar tape), so if I'm riding through a particularly dark area I'll just hold the flashlight straight for a couple seconds.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I remember reading a solution for the off axis angle of the lights before. They talked about it and the plans for a DIY mount using conduit hangers. The flat parts of the hangers (held together by a very small bolt and nut/washers) allowed for the ability to swivel. In other words, you could aim the light up/down and side to side- even if you don't have a perfectly straight bar. I think it was over at the Nordicgroup site....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •