Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-11, 09:01 AM   #1
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Mounting a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo on a MTB

Hi



Probably a bit of a left field question but hopefully a few ideas will come forward. I use my MTB, a Giant XTC 2 a hardtail for off-road touring and I am looking at fitting a hub dynamo to the bike and aBusch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo . My problem is mounting the Lumotec IQ Cyo.



The bike is normally fitted with a handlebar bag which pretty much rules out using the handlebar. It will also have a Tubus Swing rack fitted to.



Peter White Cycles seems to suggest that this bracket works with disc brakes but I can't see how it would work.

Given all the above any ideas on how to mount the Lumotec IQ Cyo?

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:35 AM   #2
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando
 
Sirrus Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
Posts: 2,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
Hi



Probably a bit of a left field question but hopefully a few ideas will come forward. I use my MTB, a Giant XTC 2 a hardtail for off-road touring and I am looking at fitting a hub dynamo to the bike and aBusch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo . My problem is mounting the Lumotec IQ Cyo.



The bike is normally fitted with a handlebar bag which pretty much rules out using the handlebar. It will also have a Tubus Swing rack fitted to.



Peter White Cycles seems to suggest that this bracket works with disc brakes but I can't see how it would work.

Given all the above any ideas on how to mount the Lumotec IQ Cyo?

Thanks
Andrew
That's a bit of an ungainly front rack. I happen to have my Lumotec mounted at my fork crown using the lumotec cantilever mount. I am running a more conventional low rider front rack which helps. The only other suggestion I can make is make a mount that clamps to the over the tire stabilizer of the front rack. Or ditch that rack for something more conventional.
Sirrus Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:52 AM   #3
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider View Post
That's a bit of an ungainly front rack. I happen to have my Lumotec mounted at my fork crown using the lumotec cantilever mount. I am running a more conventional low rider front rack which helps. The only other suggestion I can make is make a mount that clamps to the over the tire stabilizer of the front rack. Or ditch that rack for something more conventional.
The bike is a mountain bike with front suspension / disc brakes. The Tubus Swing is by all accounts the best rack for the task given the way it mounts. A conventional rack is not ideal/suitable. It seems that I may be able to mount the light out front. I really need to get one to play around with it. Thankfully I am setting up two bikes, so will do the Surly first. That way I get the light to play with and work out options.

Andrew
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 06:12 PM   #4
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando
 
Sirrus Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
Posts: 2,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
The bike is a mountain bike with front suspension / disc brakes. The Tubus Swing is by all accounts the best rack for the task given the way it mounts. A conventional rack is not ideal/suitable. It seems that I may be able to mount the light out front. I really need to get one to play around with it. Thankfully I am setting up two bikes, so will do the Surly first. That way I get the light to play with and work out options.

Andrew
Then I'd look for a means of engineering a mount on the stabilizer of the rack (The part that curves over the tire).
Sirrus Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 10:45 PM   #5
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider View Post
Then I'd look for a means of engineering a mount on the stabilizer of the rack (The part that curves over the tire).
That is a possibility for sure, well maybe for someone who has better skills than me. I was hoping to find a product already out there to do the trick. I may have solution now anyway which is to mount it at the front of the rack. It looks like it may have been done before.

Andrew
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 10:53 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,762
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I use the Nylon Bracket bolted to the arch of my WTR's front suspension fork,
But You have that strut to cast a shadow ..
I have my Bar bag above the light., on it's own stem.

How about up by the steerer tube bracket?, maybe get a second
one that you have at the top of the strut, flip it over , bolt the light to it?

Pauls Comp has a mount that goes in place of the top cap on the steerer tube ,
then anything that can fit on a handlebar can go there..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-25-11 at 10:59 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 05:46 AM   #7
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
How about up by the steerer tube bracket?, maybe get a second
one that you have at the top of the strut, flip it over , bolt the light to it?
Thanks. Worth exploring if I can get clearance with the handlebar bag.

Quote:
Pauls Comp has a mount that goes in place of the top cap on the steerer tube ,
Thanks. I will look into this option.

Andrew
then anything that can fit on a handlebar can go there..[/QUOTE]
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 PM.