I love custom cruisers
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Bikes: Versato Riviera 21spd cruiser, 2005 Schwinn Typhoon cruiser 700c wheels, Ocean Pacific cruiser 6spd suicide front brake, 1993 Giant Acapulco SS conversion project
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Union lights... Goodbye dynamo hello LEDs
So I wanted to have the old look for my one cruisers lighting. I had old union lights and didn't want to deal with the dynamo so I decided to take a trip to the dollar tree and look for cheap options to make them led powered. I found a 3 LED FLASHLIGHT & a 1 LED Book light as potential easy options for my lights. ( bought two of each just in case I missed them up. $4.28 seemed reasonable.)
I took my goodies home and started plotting the easiest way to make them work. I figured the best way to do the headlight was to use the full flashlight but was having trouble figuring out how make a power switch work without having wires coming off it or a big ugly switch sticking out the side. It hit me why not grind the back tip off the case till the back of the flashlight could be screwed threw and into the body of the flashlight so the flashlights switch was useable. Then I opened the reflector cone till the tip of the flashlight slid through.
Well this is what I came out with for the headlight.
Since this I replaced the $1 3 led flashlight with a 9 led flashlight I got in a two pack from harbor fraught tools for $3.
For my tail light ( smaller union headlight I mounted to the rear fender) I used the led book light because the flashlight was too small.
First thing I did was replace the white led for a red one I salvaged from a keychain I bought from the dollar tree a month prior that the keyring broke off of (it was the perfect candidate for a led because it ran the same voltage as the book light.)
I then opened the reflector from the union light so the part of the book light that holds the led screwed threw reflector and screwed the cap back on the led housing.
Ran into the power switch problem again. Then I got a great idea... Cut the back end off the extra flashlight I bought and set it up the same as the headlight and retire the book light to the flashlight switch. This worked great.
I'm happy with the results. I got the old lights with no dynamo.
Let me know what you all think.
Oh here's the bike.
Last edited by whitefiretiger; 03-15-12 at 12:38 PM.
Reason: trying to fix the pictures