Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replacement battery for Verizon Fios

    I have a battery unit in my garage that somehow brings the fiber optics technology into the house to run the internet connection, cable, and perhaps the phone line.

    That battery warning light went on a few days ago and it needs to be replaced. I was wondering if it can be replaced with something other than what it is now. I read on the battery that its a "valve regulated lead acid battery". I called Verizon and they said I could get a replacement from Radio Shack or even a motorcycle shop.

    I thought maybe this is "old technology" and there might be a better solution to power this thing up. The battery also reads "Portalac PX12072, 12 volts 7.2Ah; distributed by GS Battery (USA) Inc. Made in Taiwan.

    The special symbol has a "P" and around it are the three bent arrows in a clockwise direction.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,139
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    I thought maybe this is "old technology" and there might be a better solution to power this thing up.
    That battery only serves as a backup to power the system in the event of a power failure. Replacing it with another sealed lead acid battery is cheap and effective. What characteristics would you like to improve upon?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    That battery only serves as a backup to power the system in the event of a power failure. Replacing it with another sealed lead acid battery is cheap and effective. What characteristics would you like to improve upon?
    Verizon quoted me $30.00 before shipping and handling. I am thinking that there would be something rechargeable. I realize that our cars all have a battery and its probably lead acid. But to think that there's an alternative that poses less danger and less toxic would seem like a better choice.

  4. #4
    Because I thought I could ks1g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    My Bikes
    November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is a bicycle forum, put an old bike on a trainer, rig up a 12V generator and something to condition the power.

    $30 for a 7AH 12V SLA (sealed lead acid - standard back up battery) is a little steep. You should be able to enter the model number of the router and find an exact replacement from any of several sources. I've had good results with Batteries Plus (brick & mortar) and batteryspace.com (internet). There was another source I found on Ebay (can't recall the name - sorry) or Amazon (maybe you can get the free economy shipping?). These are standard replacement for computer UPS and the portable "jumpstart" car systems.

    You could plug the FIOS router into a computer UPS; now you have comercial power, the external UPS, and the internal battery (once replaced) before you loose service.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,139
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Verizon quoted me $30.00 before shipping and handling. I am thinking that there would be something rechargeable. I realize that our cars all have a battery and its probably lead acid. But to think that there's an alternative that poses less danger and less toxic would seem like a better choice.

    Knock yourself out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •