Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another Kickstarter bike related project succeeds! Torch lighted helmet

    This will be cool, and is due on the market in October this year!

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...egrated-lights

    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  2. #2
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see that they made it. However, due to the lack of visible vents, I doubt it will sell too well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vents aren't a big deal for many commuters, since most bicycle commuters ride less than 5 miles at a time and at times of the day when temperatures aren't real hot. The lack of vents also helps to keep rain out.

    Of course, this is not a helmet for racers, but there is a growing market for commuter-oriented gear.

  4. #4
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and when it gets cold out, the scarce vents will also be welcome!
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  5. #5
    Member syciprider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Inland Empire
    My Bikes
    Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miners helmets have had that for a long time... spelunkers ..

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I like that the video ends with the question / statement / invitation to join them "If you are ready to make cycling safer." If you are ready to make cycling safer, how about not wearing all black when riding at night. How about some reflective gear or brighter colors?!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I like that the video ends with the question / statement / invitation to join them "If you are ready to make cycling safer." If you are ready to make cycling safer, how about not wearing all black when riding at night. How about some reflective gear or brighter colors?!
    I was about to comment on the same issue. I wear bright colors when I go biking in the daylight! Completely irresponsible of them to wear all black clothing. Destroyed my confidence in the team and project.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    My Bikes
    "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me it didn't seem like the front lights were thorwing out much of a beam, the light throw looked more like when I would carry a coleman lantern when out fishing or hunting.

  10. #10
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was pretty cool from a "be-seen" perspective.

  11. #11
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
    I was about to comment on the same issue. I wear bright colors when I go biking in the daylight! Completely irresponsible of them to wear all black clothing. Destroyed my confidence in the team and project.
    Wow. Pretty quick to pass judgement without any information, aren't you?

    Did it occur to you that maybe they didn't have the rider wear day-glo and reflective material so that they could accentuate the helmet lighting?

    FYI, that's probably why they filmed at night, in the rain, too, rather than during a clear, bright day.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgensince74 View Post
    to me it didn't seem like the front lights were thorwing out much of a beam, the light throw looked more like when I would carry a coleman lantern when out fishing or hunting.
    From the website FAQ:

    "Are the front lights bright enough to light the path in front of me?

    The front LEDs currently emit 50 Lumens which is not enough to act as a headlight. It is more for the purpose of being seen.

    We will be looking at adding this as an option on future models however, due to the amount of requests for this feature."

  13. #13
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    Wow. Pretty quick to pass judgement without any information, aren't you?

    Did it occur to you that maybe they didn't have the rider wear day-glo and reflective material so that they could accentuate the helmet lighting?

    FYI, that's probably why they filmed at night, in the rain, too, rather than during a clear, bright day.
    Guess that makes me quick to pass judgement too. Completely irresponsible of them to wear all black clothing. Doubly stupid to do that in traffic with only a 50 lumen light source. I think thats about as much as a Knog Beetle puts out and that unit is marginal for the bike path.

    So no - I won't be buying one.

  14. #14
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my helmet light is 45 lumens, and it works for illumination if you need it. That might actually be too much light for a helmet light that you can't aim

  15. #15
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    my helmet light is 45 lumens, and it works for illumination if you need it. That might actually be too much light for a helmet light that you can't aim
    I think you're kidding yourself. As per information posted against the original article:

    "The front LEDs currently emit 50 Lumens which is not enough to act as a headlight."
    In my experience, anything less than 300 lumens is only suitable for walking with. Any higher speed needs 300 to 1,000 lumens depending on the activity and other available lighting.

  16. #16
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Guess that makes me quick to pass judgement too. Completely irresponsible of them to wear all black clothing. Doubly stupid to do that in traffic with only a 50 lumen light source. I think thats about as much as a Knog Beetle puts out and that unit is marginal for the bike path.

    So no - I won't be buying one.
    What a joke.

    You're seriously taking the position that, because they made a promo video that in your mind shows "irresponsible" riding, and that could have been filmed on a closed street in a controlled environment for all you know, you're not going to buy the product?

    Dude, get a grip. The real world is a crazy place, and people do irresponsible things. What bearing that should have on you, or anyone else, conducting their life and using products responsibly is absolutely nothing.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 lumens isn't bad as a 'be seen' light, as long as the designers have the helmet's basic light housing design down right. If they do have it down right, they might be fairly easily be able to up the lumens. Some basic questions I'd have about the helmet are... Where's the battery located, what type is it and what provision does it have for recharging.

    Another basic question I wonder if the designers have considered is, since the helmet's first priority function is to provide protection in a crash impact, how might the presence of the helmet's light housings affect the ability of the helmet protect its wearer in the event of a crash?

  18. #18
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    What a joke.

    You're seriously taking the position that, because they made a promo video that in your mind shows "irresponsible" riding, and that could have been filmed on a closed street in a controlled environment for all you know, you're not going to buy the product?

    Dude, get a grip. The real world is a crazy place, and people do irresponsible things. What bearing that should have on you, or anyone else, conducting their life and using products responsibly is absolutely nothing.
    Seriously - I think the joke is people like you. You posted that video but didn't bother looking at it yourself? "could have been filmed on a closed street in a controlled environment for all you know"??? Looks like regular traffic on a downtown street to me. And I'm seing absolutely NO reflectors on that bicycle - which in this city - is illegal.

    If a product can't be presented in a context thats at all representative of where it'll actually be used - its just a marketing scham. And scham rhymes with scam.

    Regardless - 50 lumens absolutely sucks for playig in traffic. I'm currently using 5,000. If you have any other complaints - call my lawyer.
    Last edited by Burton; 06-17-12 at 07:52 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member terrapin44's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
    Another basic question I wonder if the designers have considered is, since the helmet's first priority function is to provide protection in a crash impact, how might the presence of the helmet's light housings affect the ability of the helmet protect its wearer in the event of a crash?
    This is my concern too. These urban helmets generally don't do as well in safety tests as the more traditional bike helmet (i.e. the recent Consumer Reports rating) so I would want to see some evidence that they work well as a helmet. That said, I like the idea from a being seen standpoint and would consider getting one if they prove to be effective as a helmet and the price agrees with me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Look 585
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin44 View Post
    This is my concern too. These urban helmets generally don't do as well in safety tests as the more traditional bike helmet (i.e. the recent Consumer Reports rating) so I would want to see some evidence that they work well as a helmet. That said, I like the idea from a being seen standpoint and would consider getting one if they prove to be effective as a helmet and the price agrees with me.
    They would have to be SNELL or ANSI approved -- for what that's worth.

  21. #21
    Senior Member telebianchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2010 Giant Trance, 2006 K2 Mod 4.0, 2010 Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and this is new because?
    http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discou...ls-bluecarbon/


    Yes, I know this helmet on kickstarter has the headlight as well.

    Actually, I could see these getting sold to commuters so I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But I'd rather first get a helmet that fits my noggin, and then put a PBSF on the back of it. Get a better headlight that would mount to either the helmet or bars. It would end up costing more than the $100 projected retail of the kickstarter helmet but probably work better.

    Also, if you do end up putting the helmet to use in an accident, you now have to replace a helmet and two lights (unless maybe they will sell just the shell which you can put your old lights into?)
    May your tires or beer never be flat.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telebianchi View Post
    and this is new because?
    http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discou...ls-bluecarbon/


    Yes, I know this helmet on kickstarter has the headlight as well.

    Actually, I could see these getting sold to commuters so I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But I'd rather first get a helmet that fits my noggin, and then put a PBSF on the back of it. Get a better headlight that would mount to either the helmet or bars. It would end up costing more than the $100 projected retail of the kickstarter helmet but probably work better.

    Also, if you do end up putting the helmet to use in an accident, you now have to replace a helmet and two lights (unless maybe they will sell just the shell which you can put your old lights into?)

    It's new in terms of concept, because as a 'be seen' type of light, the square inches of illuminated display is greater than in most bike use specific lights to date, such as in the example of the helmet with rear light you've included in your post. Also, in contrast to most lights that many people have devised to work with helmets by attaching them to the exterior of the helmet, this design incorporates the front and back lights into the helmet itself, contouring them into the overall shape of the helmet shell for a more streamlined appearance. How functional that can be in terms of allowing the helmet to sustain its ability to protect the wearer from impact injury is a question in need of being addressed by the designers. Aside from this concern, the lights contoured to the helmet, and the lights' increased display area is something that may be appealing to many people.

  23. #23
    Senior Member nerys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    19057
    My Bikes
    Day 6 Dream 21
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is my concern as well. helmets are one time use devices. IE once you "ding" one in an accident I thought it was SOP to NOT reuse that helmet to buy a new one.

    in major accidents who cares it saved your noggin. but in minor accidents where the helmet is actually still good thats is an expensive replacement.

    if the "impact" portion of the helmet is replaceable cheaply that would change things a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •