Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-12, 07:44 PM   #26
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollored View Post
You can ge these in green or amber:

400 ? 400: true);">
Those are pretty cute! They're probably loyal and affectionate too but I'm thinking four of those would probably eat about $15 worth of batteries a week based on how much I drive.

Thanks for the post - first time I've seen those.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-12, 08:21 PM   #27
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 7,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Those are pretty cute! They're probably loyal and affectionate too but I'm thinking four of those would probably eat about $15 worth of batteries a week based on how much I drive.

Thanks for the post - first time I've seen those.
Hehehe!
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 07:52 AM   #28
01 CAt Man Do
Senior Member
 
01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
Posts: 657
Seeing the subject at hand is amber lighting: I've had some success in turning my Ultrafire 501B drop-in torch ( with XM-L 5 mode drop-in ) into a decent amber flasher. What I did was cut the bottom out of a amber prescription bottle and use it as a lens. It fits perfectly over the front of the torch and fits like a glove. To be on the safe side I use some clear tape to make sure it doesn't pop off.

As with all things bike related mounting is the real problem. Since I intended to mount this so it was rear facing there was really only one choice; under the seat. Took a couple tries to get it right but using a long piece of velcro and some soft foam I finally nailed it and it sits nicely along one of the seat rails. I set the output to SOS and it works really well. I figure the output is likely around 500 lumen after optic losses. I can also turn it on/off while riding which is also cool.

I also figured out I could convert my old Bikeray III to an amber flasher by doing the same thing. The Bikeray III is awesome when amber! Still I'll probably just continue using the 501B as the torch is more compact and lighter. Not to mention I'm almost afraid to take the torch off the seat because it was dang hard to get that sucker dialed in.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 12-13-12 at 08:05 AM.
01 CAt Man Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 03:06 PM   #29
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do View Post
Seeing the subject at hand is amber lighting: I've had some success in turning my Ultrafire 501B drop-in torch ( with XM-L 5 mode drop-in ) into a decent amber flasher. What I did was cut the bottom out of a amber prescription bottle and use it as a lens. It fits perfectly over the front of the torch and fits like a glove. To be on the safe side I use some clear tape to make sure it doesn't pop off.

As with all things bike related mounting is the real problem. Since I intended to mount this so it was rear facing there was really only one choice; under the seat. Took a couple tries to get it right but using a long piece of velcro and some soft foam I finally nailed it and it sits nicely along one of the seat rails. I set the output to SOS and it works really well. I figure the output is likely around 500 lumen after optic losses. I can also turn it on/off while riding which is also cool.

I also figured out I could convert my old Bikeray III to an amber flasher by doing the same thing. The Bikeray III is awesome when amber! Still I'll probably just continue using the 501B as the torch is more compact and lighter. Not to mention I'm almost afraid to take the torch off the seat because it was dang hard to get that sucker dialed in.
Cool! Sounds like a neat way to get some awesome amber!
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 03:22 PM   #30
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

The amber lights, as noted in the post below, have the same visual presence as the main helmet light when viewed at anything outside a 15 degree angle from head-on. Elliptical beams have that advantage. The color will definitely be more visible in the winter, and independent testing by a number of sources has indicated that there is no advantage to running anything as bright as a 10 watt light during the day.



In this photo the lights were temporarily mounted on the forks with some Manfrotto NanoClamps just for testing. The least complicated way to attach these is actually just to clip them below any white lights already on the bike. They're a bit like Lego.
OK - so got my first personal feedback on those lights yesterday.

Drove across the city with just the two ambers up front and twin Serfas TL 200s in back to show up at a dinner party. Since there are streetlights the whole way - using these 3watt ambers as running lights really didn't bother me.

So one of the relatives at the dinner remarked on the lights on the bike in the garage - said they looked like pretty bright lights. When I mentioned that they were a little deceptive and were actually amber and not white and they were only running lights - his chin hit the floor.

Quote: "So that was YOU I passed on the way over to pick up the kids! I couldn't figure out what it was but could see you coming from a mile away!"

Asked if the lights bothered him at all (they have a cutoff) and he said not a bit - they were just very very visible. Cool!
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 12:18 PM   #31
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,835
Hi,
I saw this thread yesterday, and I have Amber , LED , marker lights, but then I realized I didn't have any photographs. So last night, just after sunset, I shot these pictures:


I have a Coroplast Fairing, with bottle cages on each side, but it is rigged to double as a handlebar basket. You can see the stainless steel Eco-Canteen.


The Amber LED Markers are visible from the front, as shown in this picture.


Just below the Amber Markers, there are some cheap LED Flashlights. Mounted to the Coroplast with tie-wire. I hardly ever use these lights anymore.

As for the "Flasher", the LED's do NOT use enough current to make a typical automotive flasher blink. I went to the local auto parts store, and bought a Flasher, but it did Not blink... it was a "heavy duty" flasher , it turned out. I returned that item, after finding the right flasher online. I asked the clerk to order it, but when he said "it's gonna cost $60.00", I said "ouch!" and cancelled the order.
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 01:09 PM   #32
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio / Phoenix AZ
Bikes: A few...
Posts: 1,974
My commute used to be a 11-mile morning twilight/sunrise eastbound journey. Hard to see a bike when you're looking into the low/rising sun. I have a US Coast Guard-approved life vest xenon strobe with an amber lens zip-tied to my rear rack, facing rearward. Flashes around 60 times/minute. Visible for three miles. One D-cell (rechargeable) battery lasts for over 30 hours of use before recharging. Yeah, it looks kinda dorky, but cars DO see me!

Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 02:43 PM   #33
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
My commute used to be a 11-mile morning twilight/sunrise eastbound journey. Hard to see a bike when you're looking into the low/rising sun. I have a US Coast Guard-approved life vest xenon strobe with an amber lens zip-tied to my rear rack, facing rearward. Flashes around 60 times/minute. Visible for three miles. One D-cell (rechargeable) battery lasts for over 30 hours of use before recharging. Yeah, it looks kinda dorky, but cars DO see me!

Nice! That last statement works for me!
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 02:45 PM   #34
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
Hi,
I saw this thread yesterday, and I have Amber , LED , marker lights, but then I realized I didn't have any photographs. So last night, just after sunset, I shot these pictures:


I have a Coroplast Fairing, with bottle cages on each side, but it is rigged to double as a handlebar basket. You can see the stainless steel Eco-Canteen.


The Amber LED Markers are visible from the front, as shown in this picture.


Just below the Amber Markers, there are some cheap LED Flashlights. Mounted to the Coroplast with tie-wire. I hardly ever use these lights anymore.

As for the "Flasher", the LED's do NOT use enough current to make a typical automotive flasher blink. I went to the local auto parts store, and bought a Flasher, but it did Not blink... it was a "heavy duty" flasher , it turned out. I returned that item, after finding the right flasher online. I asked the clerk to order it, but when he said "it's gonna cost $60.00", I said "ouch!" and cancelled the order.
So I'm finding these extremely visible in the winter when everything else is white. At first I had my doubts but at this point I'm 'sold'. What's your experience?
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 04:06 PM   #35
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
So I'm finding these extremely visible in the winter when everything else is white. At first I had my doubts but at this point I'm 'sold'. What's your experience?
Well, to be honest, my Mountain Bike has studded tires, but no lighting system. And I don't ride much in the snow. I shovel snow for exercise, when it snows.

But another thing is, I mounted these amber lights as high as possible. I want them to be visible over the hoods of cars.
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 04:29 PM   #36
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio / Phoenix AZ
Bikes: A few...
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Nice! That last statement works for me!
Yep, I'd rather be seen than not seen!
Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 04:32 PM   #37
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
Well, to be honest, my Mountain Bike has studded tires, but no lighting system. And I don't ride much in the snow. I shovel snow for exercise, when it snows.

But another thing is, I mounted these amber lights as high as possible. I want them to be visible over the hoods of cars.
OK - I wanted the visibility from a distance so mounted them on the forks. LOL Hopefully by the time they're below hood level whoever's driving has already seen me for a while.



These are supposed to be 3W lights in front and 1W lights in back. In the winter, if there isn't any other light around - they actually put out enough light to drive with when conditions are good.



Initially I was interested in coupling these up to a flasher, but at this point don't believe it would add anything. As 'be seen' running lights they're outstanding day or night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (51.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (29.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Burton; 01-12-13 at 08:52 AM.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 02:29 AM   #38
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
Thread Starter
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
So after running these all winter think I'm going to use them an daytime running lights during the summer too. The 'be seen' visibility is excellent and run time is outstanding. Have run a pair for 10 hours straight and 250 kms without recharging and calculate several more hours in reserve on a 6.6 Ah RC Lipo battery, which makes them practical for all day outings or touring where there's power available for a recharge, which takes a couple hours.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.