Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-13, 06:03 PM   #26
gug7622
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Felt F5, 105 (for now)
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any problems with the extra weight with a light mounted on a helmet? I've tried it a couple of times and I couldn't get used to it. Maybe I had it mounted to far forward? Can anyone recommend a light light? (No pun intended)
gug7622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 06:06 PM   #27
lostforawhile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: south Georgia
Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found some 5 dollar special, it has 34 LEDS and three modes, it's actually really good, I have a light on the bike, but this one has a wide beam and is good for illuminating signs etc,
lostforawhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 07:22 PM   #28
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gug7622 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the extra weight with a light mounted on a helmet? I've tried it a couple of times and I couldn't get used to it. Maybe I had it mounted to far forward? Can anyone recommend a light light? (No pun intended)
I haven't had a problem with the weight, and I use a Vis 360 and a Ultrafire 501 on my helmet. I'm getting a new phone soon, and can post a picture of it after I get the phone.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 07:01 AM   #29
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the weight really used to bother me. I would take it off if riding during the day. I have gotten over that
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 07:53 AM   #30
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Two wheeled ones
Posts: 15,195
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
The weight thing is sort of weird to me too...I have the contour on my helmet now and I definitely feel the difference.
KonAaron Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 04:21 PM   #31
CuriousCurator
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those complaining (rightly so) about the short battery life on Light & Motion Vis 360, they've now released Vis 360+. At its max, it's twice brighter lasting 50% (one hour) longer.
CuriousCurator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 02:42 PM   #32
agent pombero
Mmm hm!
 
agent pombero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing I don't like about the Niterider: it is very difficult sometimes to plug the battery into the light itself. I feel like the contact point inside the light (the little metal piece) has somehow moved deeper into the plug by being pushed by the battery plug. The light still works but I really hate the connecting the battery to this light...

Cygolite's system is much better IMO.
agent pombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 08:14 PM   #33
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I would look at mounting a lighter weight 18650 flashlight like the shiningbeam s-mini..

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...sh-L-T6/Detail
Been running a pair of these attached with a velcro strap. I have the 360 lumen model though, provides a whiter, brighter light. The 400 lumen model has a bit of a yellow tint to it. Combined with a bar mount P7, I'm set.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 07:31 AM   #34
nayr497
Senior Member
 
nayr497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nilbog
Bikes: How'd I get this many?
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a really small tail light to put on the back of my helmet. I run 1-2 bright lights (Planet Bike Super Flash & Serfas Thunderbolt) on the bike, depending on the light/weather/conditions.

I want to put a light up higher as well, just to have a second level of blinking.

Requirements:
- USB rechargeable
- light
- easily moved from one helmet to another

I have the Planet Bike Blinky light (pivots, nice strap) on my commuter helmet, but I'd like a small, light, easily attached tail light to put on my road/race helmets. The Blinky is kinda heavy, not easily moved between helmets, and if really out training, the weight and pivoting of it can be annoying.

Ideas? Something basic, like 1-2 Leds in a small round pod would be great, with a decently long silicone strap. The vents in the rear can necessitate a longer strap. And, I'm moving it between two helmets, so don't want to glue, zip tie, etc.

Something like the Lezyne Femto is perfect...but I'd like it to be USB rechargeable, not need batteries.

Thanks!

Last edited by nayr497; 10-31-13 at 07:44 AM. Reason: +
nayr497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 08:17 AM   #35
Null66
Senior Member
 
Null66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garner, NC 27529
Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the 360vis is tempting, but I need longer battery life.
360+ and run on low, or strobe.
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 08:24 AM   #36
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,894
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
I'm looking for a really small tail light to put on the back of my helmet. I run 1-2 bright lights (Planet Bike Super Flash & Serfas Thunderbolt) on the bike, depending on the light/weather/conditions.

I want to put a light up higher as well, just to have a second level of blinking.

Requirements:
- USB rechargeable
- light
- easily moved from one helmet to another

I have the Planet Bike Blinky light (pivots, nice strap) on my commuter helmet, but I'd like a small, light, easily attached tail light to put on my road/race helmets. The Blinky is kinda heavy, not easily moved between helmets, and if really out training, the weight and pivoting of it can be annoying.

Ideas? Something basic, like 1-2 Leds in a small round pod would be great, with a decently long silicone strap. The vents in the rear can necessitate a longer strap. And, I'm moving it between two helmets, so don't want to glue, zip tie, etc.

Something like the Lezyne Femto is perfect...but I'd like it to be USB rechargeable, not need batteries.

Thanks!
HotShot



PBSF

__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 08:37 AM   #37
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,513
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I recently got a L&M Vis 360 and love it. If I had known about the 360+ model, I might have gotten that one instead. However, I don't use the helmet light as my primary light source -- it's mainly to prevent drivers from turning or pulling out in front of me. I use a L&M Urban 500 as my primary front light and very happy with it as well. I run both the Urban 500 and Vis 360 on medium rather than high to extend the run times as my daily commute is over 2 hours round trip.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 08:48 AM   #38
nayr497
Senior Member
 
nayr497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nilbog
Bikes: How'd I get this many?
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Super Flash lights don't really like the shape of the back of my helmet. I've tried them in various positions/set-ups and they come free and shift around when riding. That is something I don't want to have to worry about.

I have two of the same helmets, but want to be able to switch this light between them.

I just checked out the Knog 1 and 4 blinder lights. Look okay, but those darn silicone straps always wear out far too quickly for an expensive light. And, the straps are pretty short, not sure I'd be able to get them around my rear vents. There is an REI not too far away, I suppose I could check them out in person.

Has anyone tried the Knog Blinder light on the back of your helmet?
nayr497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 07:36 PM   #39
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,883
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
The Super Flash lights don't really like the shape of the back of my helmet. I've tried them in various positions/set-ups and they come free and shift around when riding. That is something I don't want to have to worry about.

I have two of the same helmets, but want to be able to switch this light between them.

I just checked out the Knog 1 and 4 blinder lights. Look okay, but those darn silicone straps always wear out far too quickly for an expensive light. And, the straps are pretty short, not sure I'd be able to get them around my rear vents. There is an REI not too far away, I suppose I could check them out in person.

Has anyone tried the Knog Blinder light on the back of your helmet?
How did you determine "those darn silicone straps always wear out too quickly" if you haven't used one?

I ask because I must have a dozen (seriously) Knog lights spread across a handful of bikes and a couple of trailers for a few years now and have never had a strap failure.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 12:44 PM   #40
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My helmet has a short velcro strap across the back where I clip on a 3LED amber blinker with better than 180-degree visibility, and a brightish 9-LED flashlight elastic-banded to the top. These are my "be-seen lights" I also have front and rear flashers on the bikes all with better than 180-degree visibility, and finally a Minute 500 headlight to illuminate the road. I added the helmet lights last year because I wanted to be seen above traffic. ALso the helmet flashlight helps be see my speedometer (or whatever they're callin' them these days.)
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 02:18 PM   #41
nayr497
Senior Member
 
nayr497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nilbog
Bikes: How'd I get this many?
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
How did you determine "those darn silicone straps always wear out too quickly" if you haven't used one?

I ask because I must have a dozen (seriously) Knog lights spread across a handful of bikes and a couple of trailers for a few years now and have never had a strap failure.
Good to know! Which Knog lights do you have? I was thinking about the Blinder 1 or the Blinder 4 for the back of my helmet. As I run at least one light on my bikes, sometimes two, thinking maybe the 1 will be good enough as a "alt-level" level. But...the 4 is exactly huge, so why not?

Nice to know about their quality. I have not used knog lights but have used other lights with rubber straps (Specialized, Serfas) and the straps have sometimes worn out too quickly, necessitating a replacement order of a strap or a home-created strap system.
nayr497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 09:40 PM   #42
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,906
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
I run a Cygolite MityCross 480 on my helmet along with a Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo that I found on the road. The headlight is usually on the flash mode unless I'm on a dark country road or bike path.

And no one has ever asked me if I work in a coal mine...I think that's a good thing?
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.