Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member bwilli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kampong Cham, Cambodia
    My Bikes
    74 Raleigh Grand Prix, Fuji Stratos, CBD designs vitesse
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Phone/gps combo tracker apps

    I use both Strava and Google's My tracks. Anything out there thats better?
    Biking in Cambodia
    <><

  2. #2
    Senior Member JackoDandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    PNW - USA
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Endmondo is pretty cool. I bought the 'Pro' version when it was on sale for 99c around thanksgiving. I also have a garmin and tho report almost identical distnaces and times.

  3. #3
    Because I thought I could ks1g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    My Bikes
    November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what you want to do and if any of the alternative seem to meet you needs better. Since I have a Garmin Edge 500, I've been using Garmin Connect & Strava (for the friendly competition, aka "how badly do I really suck?") for a while. Both work, and Strava in particular seems to be putting a lot of effort into improvements (I have a paid/premium/whatever they call it account).

    I've also tried the MapMy* sites (fitness, run, ride). Their phone app/interface is simple and relatively foolproof (start record, remember to hit "stop" when done, enter an optional title, tell it if the ride is public, friends only, or private, and let it upload). MM* blew it, IMO, in their web interface, ability to correlate data from different rides, the user interface for uploading from my Garmin (and presumably other recording systems) is clunky, and I am clearly too stupid to understand their version on Strava's KOM. Maybe their paid membership is better, but I have no plans to try it. The only reason I persist is my employer's medical insurace carrier (a serious company) partnered with a "health management company" who in turn partnered with MM* for recording our "healthful exercise activities" which earn "points" which may benefit future insurance premiums but do generate spam emails at work congratulating me on how much closer I am to gaining "Silver" status and trying to sell stuff Overstock.com could not move in the meanwhile. But I digress.

    I've also noticed the phone gps (Android in my case) consistently reports longer distances than my Edge 500, and that the error is greater from running activities than on rides.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1g View Post
    I've also noticed the phone gps (Android in my case) consistently reports longer distances than my Edge 500, and that the error is greater from running activities than on rides.
    I have noticed in anecdotal comparisons that phone placement is crucial to accuracy. Having it in a pocket or running where it is subject to bouncing/jostling is significantly less accurate that placed in a backpack where it has a smooth ride when compared to my buddies Edge for the same ride.

    When in my pocket on a ride, the difference was almost .2 miles, but in a pack, it was .01 on average.

  5. #5
    Used to be fast surfjimc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use and really like Motion GPX for my iphone. No real turn by turn GPS feature per say, but it maps your ride, graphs speed and climbing, and gives updates while you ride if you want. You can save your rides, with maps for later use.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bouncing or jostling? What does that do, shake up and make the electrons go to the wrong places? I think it's more likely that the device sees more of the sky and hence more satellites by being in the backpack than in a pocket on your body. In a pocket, your body shields the device from at least half the sky and half the satellites. And the satellites it does see are all in that half of the sky, which is less accurate than seeing satellites spread around 360 degrees of azimuth. Add external obstructions like buildings and trees and accuracy can really suffer.
    Ride more. Fret less.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mustridebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Impulso and Novara Randonee
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackoDandy View Post
    Endmondo is pretty cool. I bought the 'Pro' version when it was on sale for 99c around thanksgiving. I also have a garmin and tho report almost identical distnaces and times.
    +1 for Endomondo. Their new training plans feature is pretty nifty if you *gasp* like to go running when you're not riding your bike.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Bouncing or jostling? What does that do, shake up and make the electrons go to the wrong places? I think it's more likely that the device sees more of the sky and hence more satellites by being in the backpack than in a pocket on your body. In a pocket, your body shields the device from at least half the sky and half the satellites. And the satellites it does see are all in that half of the sky, which is less accurate than seeing satellites spread around 360 degrees of azimuth. Add external obstructions like buildings and trees and accuracy can really suffer.
    True, I was thinking the points in space would be less linear as you traveled causing some points to be artificially farther and others closer. I suppose the lack of half the sky is probably a better explanation than what I offered.

  9. #9
    Junior Member ray.garza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mission, Texas
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've many apps for the iPhone including cyclemeter, strava, Wahoo Fitness and MapMyRide and they all work pretty good. The Fitness app has the best sharing capabilities than any other app. If you're not into posting your rides then Cyclemeter is for you. It does support the basics (Facebook, twitter, dailymile and email).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.garza View Post
    I've many apps for the iPhone including cyclemeter, strava, Wahoo Fitness and MapMyRide and they all work pretty good. The Fitness app has the best sharing capabilities than any other app. If you're not into posting your rides then Cyclemeter is for you. It does support the basics (Facebook, twitter, dailymile and email).
    +1 on this. I don't share my rides on social media, and Cyclemeter has great options for interval training if you've got a HRM Bluetooth sensor.

  11. #11
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,580
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upload my Garmin to both Endomondo and Strava. I would probably only use Strava (and likely will only use Strava this year), but I was using Endomondo first and wanted to maintain all my miles in one place.

  12. #12
    Member Reinofratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Charlotte the queen city of NC
    My Bikes
    Trek 1400
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using map my ride free but it only tells elevation, time, average speed and distance.
    I want an app that can break my ride down further. Show me fast sections or in the very least show me my top speed. Which app is best for that?
    My average goes down every time I hit a stop light. Or while im putting my glove back on after I start the app and before I start pedaling. So im not so concerned with averages

    It would also be nice if I could tell my app that im carrying 40 pounds of school books for some rides because my calories burned goes up on those days

    The one thing I do like about map my ride is it has a nutrition thing built in that works pretty well for tracking calories. Really helpful for someone trying to gain weight while biking daily.

  13. #13
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,580
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinofratch View Post
    I have been using map my ride free but it only tells elevation, time, average speed and distance.
    I want an app that can break my ride down further. Show me fast sections or in the very least show me my top speed. Which app is best for that?
    My average goes down every time I hit a stop light. Or while im putting my glove back on after I start the app and before I start pedaling. So im not so concerned with averages

    It would also be nice if I could tell my app that im carrying 40 pounds of school books for some rides because my calories burned goes up on those days

    The one thing I do like about map my ride is it has a nutrition thing built in that works pretty well for tracking calories. Really helpful for someone trying to gain weight while biking daily.
    Look into Endomondo, you can set it for transportation cycling or sport cycling and it breaks your ride down into "laps" of 1 mile.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ChargerDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    My Bikes
    Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclemeter for the iPhone.

    I have tried most, but this is the app that works for me. I have a bluetooth watch and cadence sensor hooked up as well.
    and these two wheels will take us anywhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •