Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-13, 11:41 AM   #1
hhnngg1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is USB charging popular now?

Just curious - why is USB charging of things like bike lights and other things so popular now? I was under the impression that it was much more inefficient to put a computer in the power transfer path from outlet to USB as compared to a direct wall plug in.

I'm aware of the ease of expanding USB with a USB expander hub, but even with that option, I still prefer something that doesn't depend on my computer to be powered/plugged in for charging.
hhnngg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:48 AM   #2
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected
 
KLiNCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep one of these in the garage for charging my lights. No computer required.
KLiNCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:49 AM   #3
svtmike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agree with not wanting to depend on a computer. Wall chargers that output USB charging voltage are readily available. The beauty of the USB connectors for charging is the universality. I can charge at home from the wall charger and keep a cable at work to charge my lights from my desk PC.
svtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 12:24 PM   #4
fettsvenska 
Senior Member
 
fettsvenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Bikes: 1977/8 Raleigh Competition 1974 Raleigh Folder 1984 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro 1983 Austro Daimler Team 1983 Stumpjumper
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
Agree with not wanting to depend on a computer. Wall chargers that output USB charging voltage are readily available. The beauty of the USB connectors for charging is the universality. I can charge at home from the wall charger and keep a cable at work to charge my lights from my desk PC.
+1...I think that since there are so many different devices that charge via USB that it has sort of become the default standard.
fettsvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 12:32 PM   #5
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 10,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
Agree with not wanting to depend on a computer. Wall chargers that output USB charging voltage are readily available. The beauty of the USB connectors for charging is the universality. I can charge at home from the wall charger and keep a cable at work to charge my lights from my desk PC.
I have a dozen or more USB wall chargers and also a few USB car chargers. They came with cell phones, tablets, cameras, video games, etc. They output different power levels, but are more or less compatible with each other. I'm glad that the industry is standardizing on one format so I'm not screwed if a charger breaks or gets lost. I don't mind if some products try to save money by not including a charger in the box.
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 01:12 PM   #6
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon
 
Wil Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nausea, New Hamster
Bikes: (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just about everyone has a cell/mobile/smart-phone, and USB charging is becoming/has become the standard, so I think it's more a convenience thing. I have a couple of Morotola Talkabout 2-way radios and they can be charged from a USB port even though they don't use the data lines.

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 03:35 PM   #7
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
I have a dozen or more USB wall chargers and also a few USB car chargers. They came with cell phones, tablets, cameras, video games, etc. They output different power levels, but are more or less compatible with each other. I'm glad that the industry is standardizing on one format so I'm not screwed if a charger breaks or gets lost. I don't mind if some products try to save money by not including a charger in the box.
They should all be 5 volts (making the chargers universal), but amperage varies. I've found my devices take forever to charge on some computers, so I prefer to use a wall outlet charger if available.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 04:55 PM   #8
bikepro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Look 585
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
They should all be 5 volts (making the chargers universal), but amperage varies. I've found my devices take forever to charge on some computers, so I prefer to use a wall outlet charger if available.
I think the USB output from a computer USB port is about .5 Amps. I seen AC powered USB chargers that provide 1 Amp and 2 Amps. I just bought a Light & Motion light. At .5 Amps, it requires 14 hours to charge. At 2 Amps it takes 4 hours.
bikepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:43 PM   #9
alaskanb3arcub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the amperage a computer will produce via the usb port depends on the age of the motherboard and the device. the motherboard will default to 500ma unless the device communicates it's desire for more(and the motherboard is capable of understanding those requests).
alaskanb3arcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:40 PM   #10
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon
 
keithm0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Co-Motion Nor'Wester
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, these Adafruit USB power supplies rock. They're cheap, they charge everything I've thrown at them (iPhone, Nexus 7, Kindle, bike lights, etc) and they work great on US or European power.
__________________
keithmo.com
keithm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:51 PM   #11
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
USB amperage depends on a number of variables.
Good explanation here: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...our-smartphone
Shimagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:24 PM   #12
Cue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm0 View Post
FWIW, these Adafruit USB power supplies rock. They're cheap, they charge everything I've thrown at them (iPhone, Nexus 7, Kindle, bike lights, etc) and they work great on US or European power.
Those are just generic oems available on fleabay or aliexpress for $1.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 08:23 AM   #13
hhnngg1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm0 View Post
FWIW, these Adafruit USB power supplies rock. They're cheap, they charge everything I've thrown at them (iPhone, Nexus 7, Kindle, bike lights, etc) and they work great on US or European power.
Again, seems redundant to have to buy a separate adapter for the wall just to charge a device. I'd prefer a direct wall connection over that or a computer intermediate. That and the huge variability of USB hubs in older computers,and I still wonder why more and more bike lights etc are going 'usb only.'
hhnngg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 09:20 AM   #14
jolly_ross
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
USB is convenient to charge things at work if you're a desk worker with a PC on all day.
jolly_ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 09:25 AM   #15
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly_ross View Post
USB is convenient to charge things at work if you're a desk worker with a PC on all day.
This. And if you don't have a computer, somebody else does.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 09:51 AM   #16
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon
 
keithm0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Co-Motion Nor'Wester
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhnngg1 View Post
Again, seems redundant to have to buy a separate adapter for the wall just to charge a device. I'd prefer a direct wall connection over that or a computer intermediate.
Something like this?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e81a/
__________________
keithmo.com
keithm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:13 AM   #17
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon
 
keithm0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Co-Motion Nor'Wester
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Those are just generic oems available on fleabay or aliexpress for $1.
Maybe, maybe not. Try some of the $1 product and let us know their reliability and their ability to charge high-current devices.

The chargers I bought from Adafruit two years ago are still going strong, and still quickly charge everything I've thrown at them.

(I also buy them from Adafruit because I believe in their mission and I have huge respect for their founder Limor Fried.)
__________________
keithmo.com
keithm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:36 AM   #18
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like USB charging because I know I have a charger. Otherwise I have to carry around another charger with me, which is annoying
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:48 AM   #19
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there USB chargers that can be hooked up to a dynamo so as to keep devices charged up while on long rides away from electrical power?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 11:04 AM   #20
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, there are a lot of choices for dynohub usb chargers.

I am planning on buying a B&M Luxos U headlight that has a USB charging port. That seems to be the most economic route if you need a good headlight too.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 11:25 AM   #21
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Yes, there are a lot of choices for dynohub usb chargers.

I am planning on buying a B&M Luxos U headlight that has a USB charging port. That seems to be the most economic route if you need a good headlight too.
Hmmm... I've had my eye on a Busch and Muller IQ Cyo 60 (recommended by a poster here at Bike Forums). How does the Luxos U match up to the Cyo? (Is this the one?) Maybe I should get one of those instead. I want something to hook up to the Shimano dynamo hub on a Brompton I've ordered. Thanks.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 08:13 PM   #22
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, you are trying to charge a DC device from 110 volt AC.

Before USB, there weren't any standards for the transformers (the thing that converts AC to DC) and there were no standards for plugs (connecting the device into the charger).

USB is a standard. With USB, you can sell the device without having to sell a charger too. With USB. you don't need a different charger for different devices.

(You don't need a computer to charge USB devices.)
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:01 PM   #23
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
So, you are trying to charge a DC device from 110 volt AC.

Before USB, there weren't any standards for the transformers (the thing that converts AC to DC) and there were no standards for plugs (connecting the device into the charger).

USB is a standard. With USB, you can sell the device without having to sell a charger too. With USB. you don't need a different charger for different devices.

(You don't need a computer to charge USB devices.)
I once lost the charger for a mobile phone and had to pay an arm and a leg for a new one, even though I had a drawer full of chargers from older phones, because the plugs are different for every make and they wouldn't work. I believe the European Union has set a date by which they have to be standardized. Of course, smart phones can now be charged with a USB cord, a positive move, I believe.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:31 PM   #24
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I once lost the charger for a mobile phone and had to pay an arm and a leg for a new one, even though I had a drawer full of chargers from older phones, because the plugs are different for every make and they wouldn't work. I believe the European Union has set a date by which they have to be standardized. Of course, smart phones can now be charged with a USB cord, a positive move, I believe.
The standard is micro usb. Most lights I've seen is mini usb. Either is nice as they are both everywhere.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 10:41 AM   #25
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Hmmm... I've had my eye on a Busch and Muller IQ Cyo 60 (recommended by a poster here at Bike Forums). How does the Luxos U match up to the Cyo? (Is this the one?) Maybe I should get one of those instead. I want something to hook up to the Shimano dynamo hub on a Brompton I've ordered. Thanks.
Your link is the correct one. If you actually order, make sure to get the more expensive version with USB if that's what you want, there is a cheaper version that doesn't have charging.

I'm sure the Luxos is brighter than any CYO. You should look at the beamshots on Peter White's site, they are HERE The Luxos U puts out a lot more light than anything else, it's almost hard to believe.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.