Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5x CREE LED XML XM-L T6

Anyone buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/310688858347 ?? Comments?

I went on my first night ride with the group this weekend and can see the need for more light
    Last edited by GaryPitts; 06-23-13 at 01:40 PM.
    2013 Trek Domane 5.9, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overkill. There is no need for 5 XM-L emitters on a bike light. The real output is still high at about 3000 lumens.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryPitts View Post
    Anyone buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/310688858347 ?? Comments?

I went on my first night ride with the group this weekend and can see the need for more light
    Get two of these. Then you will have a back up, light, battery, and charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...bxgy_sg_text_z
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a head mounted lamp off e-bay that has one of these LED sources. It is seriously bright. Cars seemed to dim their lights when they saw me without any action on my part such as flicking my light up and down. Don't know if they thought I was a motorcycle or a one-eyed dilly. This lamp was advertised as 1800 lumens although I am skeptical. More likely 1000 +/-, about the same as the amazon light (imagine that - same emitter). It was about $12 although $15-20 was more typical. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a focusing model. My research is that this would be similar to low beam on a car.

This was on the road which wouldn't be as demanding as off road. My light doesn't have a focusing bezel which would best control the beam. Am guessing that the 5 light lamp would be overkill, or at least a good try even for gonzo off road. Try to find out how big and heavy the battery will be and whether you would find the size to be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the light, but have not used it yet. I kinda wish I had gotten one with only 3 LEDs instead of 5 just for battery life. I will likely use this one most of the time on low or medium brightness though, so it may not be an issue. One thing I was a little surprised about is that low and medium actually dims all 5 LEDs instead of turning off some of them.

Our club only rides at night at full moon, so it'll be another week or two before I can try it. I may have to go out for a short night ride by myself beforehand just to check it out

My Bikes
    Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good friend bought the one on Amazon, and brought it over the other day - that light is AWESOME! Even in the daylight. I'm gonna buy two.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5x XML T6 will certainly be visible. I use a single XML U2 and it is plenty bright for my use.

vol
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Get two of these. Then you will have a back up, light, battery, and charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...bxgy_sg_text_z
    This looks quite popular. Occasionally I saw some cyclists with lights comparable to car lights and I suspect they were this thing. However they seem to have little side visibility (not sure if they were this light, though).

Some questions:
    1. Does it weigh less than a normal flashlight of the same or more lumens (each without batteries)? It looks light.

2. Beside the obvious mounting advantage, what are other advantages over a flashlight of the same lumens with the same batteries? Perhaps the lens is wider and so better?

3. Would it be convenient to carry in a bag when not in use?

Thanks.
    Last edited by vol; 07-06-13 at 04:27 PM.

My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this thread is a little long in the tooth but for anyone doing a search on the subject I thought I'd add my experience with them. I recently bought 2 of these for our bikes. They have a very wide beam and even on low beam are quite bright, on low beam it will easily light up reflective road signs 1/4 mile or more away. High beam will light them up a half mile away. I had a motorist stop last night and make a positive comment on how bright it was and it was on low beam. The strobe can be a little distracting at first when used in the dark. The first time I used it after dark "Inna-Godda-Da-Vida" kept running through my head. Haven't tested battery charge life yet but so far I'm liking them, a LOT.

My Bikes
    trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seems like it would be overkill, I say that cause I got the amazon one also listed a few posts above, it is super bright.
    With the one your looking at I wonder if with all the light it puts out if the run time is short
    Last edited by niuoka; 09-03-13 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, how long will yours last, Murray? I got one, too, but have not used it as yet. Battery packs are cheap and easy to strap on the bike, so I'm not too worried about it, but curious as to what kind of run time you're seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $50 on Amazon with a 6400Mah battery. How long do these last with all 5 emitters on?

5X XML is sort of insane for on-road usage.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidad View Post
    Overkill. There is no need for 5 XM-L emitters on a bike light. The real output is still high at about 3000 lumens.
    This. I highly doubt that you're getting any more light output from a 5 emitter light than a 2-3 emitter light. When people measure the 2-3 emitter units, the LEDs are not running at full power since they generate too much heat and draw too much current. Five emitters stuffed into the same housing is going to run into the exact same thermal limit and even worse current issues.

My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryPitts View Post
    Yeah, how long will yours last, Murray? I got one, too, but have not used it as yet. Battery packs are cheap and easy to strap on the bike, so I'm not too worried about it, but curious as to what kind of run time you're seeing.

I've only got a couple hours on one light so far using mostly the strobe function, when I have used the other modes overheating has not been an issue. I do have mine mounted on a raised bar above my handlebars so it is not contacting any cables or my handlebar bag and it gets good airflow. For the area I'm riding in I do not consider these overkill but in a more populated area with a lot of traffic they might be. It is definitely an attention getter, so far I'm very pleased with them.