Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How reliable are these Cateye Stradas?

    I bought a used bike and was so excited I didn't even check if the Cateye worked, turns out it doesn't. It comes on, displays the time, but is not transmitting any data (mph, etc). It's the double wireless setup, I replaced both of the batteries. I had the bike in my apartment with the sensors so close there were knicking each other as it passed and nothing... Any suggestions? I may have to just take it into a shop. It also seems silly how it's zip-tied on (I've seen many others set up like this), seems like it can't be as accurate as it could if it were hard mounted to the bike...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern Deep South
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only trouble I've had with my Stradas is when the battery's low, or the sensor isn't aligned with the spoke magnet.

    (Most of mine are wired, BTW.)

  3. #3
    BF Avatar Zombie Hunter Jseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SW Washington state on the ocean!
    My Bikes
    1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '03 Colnago Dream Lux, several older family Treks
    Posts
    1,040
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    The only trouble I've had with my Stradas is when the battery's low, or the sensor isn't aligned with the spoke magnet.

    (Most of mine are wired, BTW.)

    bump.
    Amerika, Land of the Very Brief.

  4. #4
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,274
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodie View Post
    I bought a used bike and was so excited I didn't even check if the Cateye worked, turns out it doesn't. It comes on, displays the time, but is not transmitting any data (mph, etc). It's the double wireless setup, I replaced both of the batteries. I had the bike in my apartment with the sensors so close there were knicking each other as it passed and nothing... Any suggestions? I may have to just take it into a shop. It also seems silly how it's zip-tied on (I've seen many others set up like this), seems like it can't be as accurate as it could if it were hard mounted to the bike...Thanks
    Just take the magnet in your hand and run it passed the sensor to see if it works.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Klein
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you replace the batteries on the double wireless strada, you must rest the ID. Download the instructions from the cateye website. The setup is a bit finicky, but it works well when you get it going.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,218
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Download the instructions from the cateye website. The setup is a bit finicky, but it works well when you get it going.
    +1 Reset the unit and make sure to follow the instructions. If the sensor doesn't sync with the display it won't work no matter what you do.

  7. #7
    An Average Joe Cyclelogikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    My Bikes
    '13 Orbea Orca
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a hard reset like indicated and it should be fine. The magnet has to be aligned with the fork sensor where you here the slight audible click. I have had many Cateye's over the years and nothing but good results. Still have two Strada wireless 300 models on my mountain bikes.

    Once you do the hard reset then you of course will have to plug in the variables again like tire size and other things but like a poster stated..........download the instructions off the net.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •