Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   Recommend cycle computer app please... (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/902559-recommend-cycle-computer-app-please.html)

lungimsam 07-20-13 07:07 AM

Recommend cycle computer app please...
 
I have heard that there are iPhone apps where you just throw your iPhone in your bike bag and ride. It shows stats like mileage and speed, etc.

Was wondering if anyone knows which app is good to use.

That way I can get rid of my cyclecomputer and maybe get a more accurate read on my 650b wheel bike and free up some cockpit space.

Cyclelogikal 07-20-13 08:29 AM

I have alot of friends on Strava. But my last ride with a buddy his mileage came up almost one more mile total than mine and I use a Garmn Edge 810. But for free if you don't need alot of bells and whistles it is ok. There is also a premium version you pay for of course. I am sure others will chime in.

IndianaRecRider 07-20-13 03:45 PM

As a new smartphone user, I think I downloaded all the cycling related apps to try. After trying each one on a ride or two, I really prefer the MapMyRide app. Shows all the relevant data I need; distance covered, time, route ridden and average speed. I know there are fancier apps, but for my needs, MMR fits the bill quite nicely.

Of course as with any advice given here on Bike Forums, YMMV. :D

:)

PVFD304 07-20-13 03:56 PM

Started out with MMR but switched to Strava for the power data and segments.

Winnershcyclist 07-21-13 02:20 AM

I tried most liked micoach but now use endomondo as it had support for hrms and auto pause also pretty accurate like the fact that i can listen to music take calls and the app keeps on working have had mmr stop on calls.
endomondo also ties in with FB and other 3rd party apps

JohnJ80 07-21-13 09:41 AM

Cyclemeter. It's a fantastic app. http://www.abvio.com. Does just about everything and does it well.

J.

rebel1916 07-21-13 03:32 PM

Strava /thread

kids 07-22-13 12:44 AM

why don't you just buy a bicycle computer, so you can fix it on the handlebar and conveniently see how far you've gone and your speed? As far as i'm concerned, it doesn't cost much, maybe 4$ only. think about it

rebel1916 07-22-13 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kids (Post 15874814)
why don't you just buy a bicycle computer, so you can fix it on the handlebar and conveniently see how far you've gone and your speed? As far as i'm concerned, it doesn't cost much, maybe 4$ only. think about it

What about the part where he says he already has one?

kids 07-22-13 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 15875011)
What about the part where he says he already has one?

oops,I didn't notice it..just thought a computer would be more convenient

Nick The Beard 07-22-13 07:59 AM

I use Endomondo mostly because that's what most of my friends use and we can view each others rides and share them on FB etc. I'm happy with it.

ray.garza 07-24-13 01:30 PM

Cyclemeter is the best, but other such as MapMyRide, Strava, Wahoo Fitness are good too. Anyone of them is capable of doing GPS centric data collection. Wahoo Fitness has the ANT+ Dongle to pair up with the appropriate Speed/Candace and heart-rate sensors (will work with many cycling apps not just Wahoo) or go the Bluetooth route too.

noglider 08-08-13 08:47 AM

I love cyclemeter. I feel I got much more than I paid for.

GriffontheRock 08-20-13 10:03 PM

I have used strava, endomondo and am now trying runtastic road bike. I like it best because it stays on the screen and has a map as well as all data that you could wish to see.

kevindsingleton 08-21-13 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray.garza (Post 15884752)
Cyclemeter is the best, but other such as MapMyRide, Strava, Wahoo Fitness are good too. Anyone of them is capable of doing GPS centric data collection. Wahoo Fitness has the ANT+ Dongle to pair up with the appropriate Speed/Candace and heart-rate sensors (will work with many cycling apps not just Wahoo) or go the Bluetooth route too.

What's this about pairing my dongle with Candace, again?

ray.garza 08-21-13 03:21 PM

Wahoo Fitness has a dongle that you can plug into your iPhone 4/4s that will enable you to pair up with any ANT+ sensor. As long as the sensor full supports ANT+, your iPhone can pair up and read the data. I also believe that some Android phones comes with the ANT+ receiver built-in, so you can go that route too. The dongle is not limited to Wahoo Fitness apps either, any app that supports ANT+ sensors can use the dongle, such as Cyclemeter, Strava, MapMyRide, etc.

The basic Sensors that use ANT+ protocol are, speed, speed and cadence, heart-rate, and power meters.

GaryPitts 08-22-13 06:12 AM

I prefer Runkeeper.

JohnJ80 08-22-13 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton (Post 15984923)
What's this about pairing my dongle with Candace, again?

pictures, please.

J.

niuoka 08-22-13 10:21 AM

check this site, it compares them

www.androidauthority.com App Lists App Reviews Apps

01 CAt Man Do 08-22-13 07:07 PM

In keeping with the "Ant+" line of thought, I wondering how this would work with my Android. Looks like Google Play has an app that will install the "Ant" programming into my phone. Not sure this will work but supposing that it does then if I have an "ant" speed sensor and another compatible app such as endomondo or strava then that app will use the "ant" device to record speed and distance??

If so that would be great. I really didn't like the accuracy of the speed and distance read out just based on GPS feedback. Anyone have any idea if an old Cateye wireless computer speed sensor would work in this application or would I have to buy a compatible ant sensor?

njkayaker 08-22-13 08:43 PM

^^^
Eeesh.

The phone has to receive ANT signals (thru a dongle attached to the phone, like an ANT USB stick/adapter) and the sensor has to transmit ANT signals. It's hardware on both sides (not just software). The transmitter will say ANT and have the ANT logo. Your random Cateye transmitter is not likely to be an ANT one.

Software alone won't allow you phone to receive ANT signals.

There were a few phones that received ANT but, as far as I know, no current phone does without a dongle. As far as I know, ANT dongles are only available for the iPhone.

New phones support Bluetooth 4 instead.

01 CAt Man Do 08-23-13 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 15990116)
^^^
Eeesh.

The phone has to receive ANT signals (thru a dongle attached to the phone, like an ANT USB stick/adapter) and the sensor has to transmit ANT signals. It's hardware on both sides (not just software). The transmitter will say ANT and have the ANT logo. Your random Cateye transmitter is not likely to be an ANT one.

Software alone won't allow you phone to receive ANT signals.

There were a few phones that received ANT but, as far as I know, no current phone does without a dongle. As far as I know, ANT dongles are only available for the iPhone.

New phones support Bluetooth 4 instead.

After doing some searches I'm reaching the same conclusion. There were a couple Android models that had the ANT+ hardware but most Androids don't. There is however an ANT+ accessory you can buy to add the hardware to your phone. Once you have the external hardware accessory ( dongle? ) you add the ANT+app to your phone and this should enable the user to run whatever ANT sensors that they want. Then just add whatever capatible fitness app that works with ANT+ and you should be set. Here is the link to the company that makes them > SelfLoops. Nice that it includes an external battery which makes a lot of sense. Not sure if the product is available yet but I plan to continue the search. ( *edit; release date is Oct 1st 2013 for the SelfLoops ANT+ android accessory )

njkayaker 08-23-13 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do (Post 15992412)
After doing some searches I'm reaching the same conclusion. There were a couple Android models that had the ANT+ hardware but most Androids don't. There is however an ANT+ accessory you can buy to add the hardware to your phone. Once you have the external hardware accessory ( dongle? ) you add the ANT+app to your phone and this should enable the user to run whatever ANT sensors that they want. Then just add whatever capatible fitness app that works with ANT+ and you should be set. Here is the link to the company that makes them > SelfLoops. Nice that it includes an external battery which makes a lot of sense. Not sure if the product is available yet but I plan to continue the search. ( *edit; release date is Oct 1st 2013 for the SelfLoops ANT+ android accessory )

This is what is commonly called a "dongle".

It appears that there's one called a "ANT+ USB stick".

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/m...-for-your.html

Maybe, that won't work for Android phones.

The "selfloop" product is a box that you have to connect to the phone with a USB cable. That seems inconvenient.

You'd have to decide whether you want to have something stick out of your phone while riding. Note that you can use a cable between the phone and the dongle/box/whatever.

You can also get a HRM strap that will relay ANT+ signals from your ANT+ transmitters as BT 4.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/m...-smartant.html

There's also the Wahoo Rflkt that does something similar (but it needs an iPhone at the moment).

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/...-computer.html

Note that BT 4 support is kind of spotty for Android. It should be available "any day now".

Athens80 08-23-13 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njkayaker (Post 15992603)
It appears that there's one called a "ANT+ USB stick".

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/m...-for-your.html

The Garmin Ant+ USB Stick wirelessly links Ant+ devices to a desktop or notebook computer. It's useful in situations such as training inside and monitoring the training plan and results real-time with software like Golden Cheetah. The Suunto Movestick Mini is reported to be an alternative device for this purpose.

njkayaker 08-23-13 08:05 PM

^^

Yeah. But it might not work for a phone.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.