Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-13, 03:36 AM   #1
errantlinguist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
errantlinguist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes: 1983 Raleigh Royal
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replacing incandescent light with old dynamo with halogen

Is it possible to simply swap out an old incandescent front light with any sort of halogen light, or are there specific "compatibility requirements" for the dynamo and rear light used?

My setup consists of:Since the front light is dead, I saw that the price of a cheap halogen light needn't be much more than that of a cheap incandescent. Could I simply just attach one, or does it need more power/different resistance/etc.?

* Interesting that the website has a little flag apparently for an English translation... which happens to to do nothing. Anyway, there's nothing special about these cheap lights: I simply wanted to link to an image of them.
** While browsing teh Internets, I just noticed that these dynamos are being sold for a ridiculous amount of money... So it seems my next question is now: How do you refurbish old bottle dynamos?

Last edited by errantlinguist; 07-21-13 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Found info about the dynamo
errantlinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 07:21 AM   #2
Doug Huffman
Junior Member
 
Doug Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At the Hanging Bike on Washington Island, Wisconsin
Bikes: Ryan design Vanguard by Longbikes | GreenGear Bike Friday DoubleDay | Cruzbike Quest II 20" | ICE Sprint 26
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Halogen bulbs are incandescent bulbs, just with a different fill gas.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 09:47 AM   #3
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The dynamo lights are meant to be interchangeable. The front lights take 6V/2.5W and rear 6V/0.5W or less. Halogen is only used for front. There is only one subtlety regarding halogen in that they are less tolerant to overloading than standard incandescent. A good halogen will have a protection built in, but cheap might not. If you ride a cheap front halogen off a standard 3W dynamo and do not connect a rear lamp or connect an LED rear lamp, you may blow the front when at high speed.
2_i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 01:31 PM   #4
errantlinguist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
errantlinguist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes: 1983 Raleigh Royal
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks; It seems that also on some sites there is mention of simply replacing the "normal" incandescent bulb with a "halogen" one... is this really possible?? (Halogen functioning at a higher temperature and such) I have a spare "normal" incandescent light which I could install if that's the case.

Also, I found on the internet pictures of my old front light from about 7 months ago which I threw out because it didn't work. Turned out that was a Soubitez straight out of the '70s too. 'Doh. How often do these things turn up for sale online, anyway?
errantlinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 02:08 PM   #5
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by errantlinguist View Post
Thanks; It seems that also on some sites there is mention of simply replacing the "normal" incandescent bulb with a "halogen" one... is this really possible?? (Halogen functioning at a higher temperature and such) I have a spare "normal" incandescent light which I could install if that's the case.
The filament in the halogen bulbs is oriented differently than in the standard incandescent. The optics is optimized differently depending on the orientation. If you replace one bulb with the other you will notice a significant increase in the brightness, but typically at the cost of an erratic pattern of illumination. For the replacement, be careful to get the correct screw-in base.
2_i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 12:42 AM   #6
randomgear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: beantown
Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If the light is really a goner, get an LED replacement. For a decent cheapish light I'd go with a B&M Lumotec Lyt. In the US, available from Peter White: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp
randomgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 01:31 PM   #7
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomgear View Post
If the light is really a goner, get an LED replacement. For a decent cheapish light I'd go with a B&M Lumotec Lyt. In the US, available from Peter White: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing - I checked the date on the post to make sure it wasn't a reopened thread from 5 or more years ago. With the Lyt, for only $50 you can get a WAY brighter light an LED than you can get with any sort of incandescent or halogen bulb.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 05:49 AM   #8
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
There should not be anything inside a Soubitez generator but copper wire coils, magnets, iron, and a bearing. If it moves dodgy, the bearing needs cleaning. Carefully look at all the screws and see if you can take the little beastie apart. I would not mess with the pivot and latch without a good reason - springs inside! If you can do all this without disturbing the magnets, do that. If the magnets are on the rotating shaft (I guess they have to be, actually!), don't chip them.

Clean the bearing areas with rags with a dab of solvent on them - focus on elbow grease rather than solvents, due to the age of the wire insulation, about 40 years.

To reassemble, what to lube with? I'm not an oils expert, but I'd try a drop of 3 in 1 Electric Motor Oil, or maybe just a drop of automotive motor oil, just 10w-40 or something common. Not a lot, because if it's a wrong choice you don't want gunk to build up.

When you turn the roller by hand you should feel distinct steps in the rotation (caused by the magnetics) but smooth motion without binding, end play or radial play.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 11:08 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
There is the screw base change to flange base too

I have some older Union Halogen headlight units . FS..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 01:51 PM   #10
errantlinguist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
errantlinguist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes: 1983 Raleigh Royal
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
There should not be anything inside a Soubitez generator but copper wire coils, magnets, iron, and a bearing. If it moves dodgy, the bearing needs cleaning. Carefully look at all the screws and see if you can take the little beastie apart. I would not mess with the pivot and latch without a good reason - springs inside! If you can do all this without disturbing the magnets, do that. If the magnets are on the rotating shaft (I guess they have to be, actually!), don't chip them.

Clean the bearing areas with rags with a dab of solvent on them - focus on elbow grease rather than solvents, due to the age of the wire insulation, about 40 years.

To reassemble, what to lube with? I'm not an oils expert, but I'd try a drop of 3 in 1 Electric Motor Oil, or maybe just a drop of automotive motor oil, just 10w-40 or something common. Not a lot, because if it's a wrong choice you don't want gunk to build up.

When you turn the roller by hand you should feel distinct steps in the rotation (caused by the magnetics) but smooth motion without binding, end play or radial play.
Unfortunately I was already stupid enough to take the spring out-- after about 5 hours I got it back in and it worked (even though it didn't "feel" the same afterwards). As to its current state, it definitely still "clicks" a bit when you turn it, and the turning doesn't feel "rough" either. This is why I'm even more confused about how to fix it... For example, when I push the dynamo a bit with my foot so it rubs "harder" on the tire, it lights fine. Even more stranger is that occasionally when riding I will feel it "kick in" and get more traction, adding friction to the ride but also lighting correctly... do I just need to somehow get it to "spring" closer to the tire? I really doubt it, but...
errantlinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.