Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   What is the problem with my bike light? (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/912335-what-problem-my-bike-light.html)

Crazy123 09-11-13 04:00 AM

What is the problem with my bike light?
 
Hi, I bought my light on Amazon 2 year ago, the light is always reliable, I use it every day and i like it very much, but I found i cannot change its brightness by switch recently, it works always on high. I think there is problem with the switch, who can help me?

znomit 09-11-13 04:32 AM

It sounds a lot like there is a problem with your switch.

ItsJustMe 09-11-13 10:21 AM

It would help a lot if you told us what model light it was. There are a thousand different models and all have different modes, different kinds of switches, etc.

This is a lot like saying "hey my car makes a funny noise, what's wrong with it?"

Looigi 09-11-13 10:26 AM

It depends. A lot of lights have a single button momentary contact switch and multiple presses access different modes. If it's like this, and you can turn the light on and off but can't change modes, it's likely not a problem with the switch but rather with the control circuitry. Is your light like this or does it have other types of buttons/switches?

Crazy123 09-12-13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe (Post 16054591)
It would help a lot if you told us what model light it was. There are a thousand different models and all have different modes, different kinds of switches, etc.

This is a lot like saying "hey my car makes a funny noise, what's wrong with it?"

yes, you are right, my bike light is MJ-880,2CREE ,2000LM,Click Switch, 3-Color & 4-Mode LED Indicator displays remaining battery capacity, the reason why i like it most is, it is a gift from my best friend... the quality and the excellent function is another reason, i will not give it up and find other ways to repair it, hope you can help me .

Crazy123 09-12-13 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 16054613)
It depends. A lot of lights have a single button momentary contact switch and multiple presses access different modes. If it's like this, and you can turn the light on and off but can't change modes, it's likely not a problem with the switch but rather with the control circuitry. Is your light like this or does it have other types of buttons/switches?

thank you very much, it looks that you are very professional of this, my light is the former, it is difficult to change the modes and cannot hear click,i think the switch is broken.

Crazy123 09-12-13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znomit (Post 16053455)
It sounds a lot like there is a problem with your switch.

i am not very professional of this, maybe the switch is broken.

unterhausen 09-12-13 04:50 AM

you can get a replacement "clicky switch" from numerous vendors of flashlight components. Deal Exchange is just one of many vendors

10 Wheels 09-12-13 06:31 AM

$40 fix

http://www.fasttech.com/products/160...00-lumen-led-b

ItsJustMe 09-12-13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy123 (Post 16057281)
yes, you are right, my bike light is MJ-880,2CREE ,2000LM,Click Switch, 3-Color & 4-Mode LED Indicator displays remaining battery capacity, the reason why i like it most is, it is a gift from my best friend... the quality and the excellent function is another reason, i will not give it up and find other ways to repair it, hope you can help me .

That's a nice light. So it has two switches, right? Does one of them control on/off and the other brightness? It's very likely that if there are two switches, one of them has gone bad. It shouldn't be a difficult fix but it will require someone with enough knowledge to take it apart and at least clean and possibly replace the tactile switch on the control board. It could also just be a bad/broken solder joint on the control board. It needs to be disassembled to see what's up.

no motor? 09-12-13 01:05 PM

My magicshine had a similar problem, and by peeling back the rubber cover for the switch and spraying the switch with W D40 I was able to get it to work again.

01 CAt Man Do 09-15-13 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no motor? (Post 16058776)
My magicshine had a similar problem, and by peeling back the rubber cover for the switch and spraying the switch with W D40 I was able to get it to work again.

Sounds like a plan. Could be just a build up of oxidation on the switch. If this is the case the WD40 might help. I have a switch on one of my lamps that sometimes acts up. I might give this idea a try.

no motor? 09-16-13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do (Post 16066910)
Sounds like a plan. Could be just a build up of oxidation on the switch. If this is the case the WD40 might help. I have a switch on one of my lamps that sometimes acts up. I might give this idea a try.

It was really easy, and took about 5 minutes to do.

Crazy123 09-16-13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no motor? (Post 16072622)
It was really easy, and took about 5 minutes to do.

yes, yes, i have a try and now it can work again!! the function works just like before, thanks for "no motor" very much, the good quality and excellent function is the reason i like it most, i do not give it up and my light of Magicshine finally worked again!!! it also proved that magicshine is really a good brand for bike light just like other said. :thumb:

Crazy123 09-16-13 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do (Post 16066910)
Sounds like a plan. Could be just a build up of oxidation on the switch. If this is the case the WD40 might help. I have a switch on one of my lamps that sometimes acts up. I might give this idea a try.

Hi 01 CAT MAN DO, just have a try, my switch of light works again!! hope you have a good luck.:)

Crazy123 09-16-13 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16057304)
you can get a replacement "clicky switch" from numerous vendors of flashlight components. Deal Exchange is just one of many vendors

Hi ,thank you for your reply, i just repaired it and it can work again!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.