Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   Sigma Sport ROX 10.0 GPS (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/917271-sigma-sport-rox-10-0-gps.html)

cycledogg 10-10-13 07:08 AM

Sigma Sport ROX 10.0 GPS
 
Any one have one of these units yet? I'm looking for some feedback before I get one.
Cheers

Road Fan 10-10-13 10:04 AM

Did you use any of the other ROX models?

cycledogg 10-10-13 10:54 AM

No, but I have used several other sigma products. Computers, computers with HR and HR wrist watches.

Snapperhead 10-10-13 11:23 AM

Great timing, I was going to start a similar thread. I have used 2 Sigma products in the past including a ROX 9.0 and have been very happy. I switched to a Garmin 500 a while back as it was a gift and had GPS. I will be purchasing the ROX 10 in the near future and selling my Garmin.

cycledogg 10-10-13 01:48 PM

Snapperhead,
Those are my thoughts exactly. Have you found any of the ROX 10.0 without the cadence/heart rate bundle for sale? If everything works good with the ROX 10.0, I will be selling my Garmin edge 500 also.
Cheers

Snapperhead 10-10-13 02:51 PM

No, but I think you can use the code 10BSWOFF at BikeSomeWhere to get an additional 10% off the bundle.

zvez 10-13-13 05:16 AM

This is a very timely thread. Looking at the garmin 810 vs. the sigma rox 10. The garmin bundled is around $700, whereas the sigma looks to be under $300?

It appears the sigma can also upload to strava? ALso would this unit replace my cat eye which tells me cadence, odometer etc? Or would I need to keep that too.

kingsqueak 10-13-13 08:01 AM

I'm likely going to get one but it will be a bit yet.

This compares more with the 510 Garmin. It follows and records trails but isn't a mapping based GPS. It does ant+ cadence speed and heart rate and GPS tracking. I like the price of the bundle and I like that the software will export the .fit format for Strava.

If the quality is there, I think they have a winner. If it works with Linux as far as allowing download of the track files or they use an obvious enough protocol so that could be arranged it would be sweet.

Road Fan 10-13-13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak (Post 16156780)
I'm likely going to get one but it will be a bit yet.

This compares more with the 510 Garmin. It follows and records trails but isn't a mapping based GPS. It does ant+ cadence speed and heart rate and GPS tracking. I like the price of the bundle and I like that the software will export the .fit format for Strava.

If the quality is there, I think they have a winner. If it works with Linux as far as allowing download of the track files or they use an obvious enough protocol so that could be arranged it would be sweet.

The way I understand it, the ROX will read the GPS locations and record them. Downloading to a pc you can therefore plot your routes after the ride, but you cannot see your real-time progress on a map like you can on a navigation system.

kingsqueak 10-13-13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 16157083)
The way I understand it, the ROX will read the GPS locations and record them. Downloading to a pc you can therefore plot your routes after the ride, but you cannot see your real-time progress on a map like you can on a navigation system.

Yes,correct. It will display a route you created and loaded into it but not on a map backdrop...it will just be a line path.

The manuals are on their site for download as are many demo screen shots showing the features.

mstraus 10-16-13 11:33 AM

Would be really interested to hear anyone impressions of the Sigma ROX 10.0 if you get one. I have been considering the ROX 10.0, Cateye Stealth 50 GPS, Garmin 500, or Garmin 510.

ROX 10.0 seems to hit a nice sweet point on the spec sheet for features vs price. Can save a bit over the Garmin 500 and get more features overall, Missing a few things (but also gaining some) vs the 510. Cateye Stealth 50 is a slightly cheaper option but also much less feature rich, and by the time you add sensors your not saving that much.

My only fear with the ROX is lack of reviews on it. Both the Garmins, while not perfect, are well known entities. Would really like some first hand accounts with the ROX.

Snapperhead 10-16-13 05:52 PM

I'll let you know. I've had a Garimin 500 for ther past couple of years so I should be able to make a fair comparison. I've had other Sigma products and they were all very nice.

kingsqueak 10-23-13 07:06 PM

I got the ROX in the mail today, the full set with HR strap, cadence and speed sensors. It will be at least the weekend before I get it installed and get a ride up with it. I got the data center software installed and updated the firmware easily and poked around the settings without help of a manual. Nicely laid out and the screen should be easy to read in sunlight as it is a basic monochrome LCD.

Snapperhead 10-24-13 09:49 AM

Kingsqueak, where did you purchase it from? How much? Discount? :)

donalson 10-24-13 11:43 AM

looking forward to hearing about it... seems like a nice bit of kit... I do wonder when we'll start seeing them avl and how much it will be without the cadence/HRM bits

mstraus 10-25-13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak (Post 16186664)
I got the ROX in the mail today, the full set with HR strap, cadence and speed sensors. It will be at least the weekend before I get it installed and get a ride up with it. I got the data center software installed and updated the firmware easily and poked around the settings without help of a manual. Nicely laid out and the screen should be easy to read in sunlight as it is a basic monochrome LCD.

Congrats! I really look forward to hearing how you like it!

I am curious how the sensor are and how easily the mount. Do they mount permanently or with rubber rings? I found it odd that the speed sensor is designed to go on the front wheel.

Also curious to know how it chooses between GPS and speed sensor speed display, as I imagine there are times they do not match up.

Would also like to know if the navigation features are any good, as that is one feature that makes this look more interesting then the Garmin 500.

mstraus 10-25-13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donalson (Post 16188683)
looking forward to hearing about it... seems like a nice bit of kit... I do wonder when we'll start seeing them avl and how much it will be without the cadence/HRM bits

I have seen them available online at a number of places. A few places seem to sell the computer only (useful if you have your own ANT+ accessories or just don't want the Sigma ones. This seems to go for ~$190-200. Kit seems to typically be listed for 300 though I have seen as low as $280, so a good deal if you want all the sensors.

kingsqueak 10-25-13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstraus (Post 16192136)
Congrats! I really look forward to hearing how you like it!

I am curious how the sensor are and how easily the mount. Do they mount permanently or with rubber rings? I found it odd that the speed sensor is designed to go on the front wheel.

Also curious to know how it chooses between GPS and speed sensor speed display, as I imagine there are times they do not match up.

Would also like to know if the navigation features are any good, as that is one feature that makes this look more interesting then the Garmin 500.

The mount for the sensors is either zip ties or o-rings, your choice. They have videos up showing the install.

I'm curious about the GPS vs speed sensor too. I have new wheels coming so I won't install it until that happens, may be next weekend since the wheels didn't arrive today...thanks USPS.

I bought the whole bundle from Amazon for about $270, includes all sensors and the HRM strap and the software. It's priced well I think and if this unit holds up like the other Sigma computers I've run on motorcycles it should be great.

mstraus 10-25-13 03:01 PM

Is there dedicated software for you computer, or does it just connect to USB and allow you to upload to a website? If dedicated software, do you know if it supports Mac?

I am very curious to understand the quality of this software. I understand the Garmin has decent software and website.

donalson 10-25-13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstraus (Post 16192341)
Is there dedicated software for you computer, or does it just connect to USB and allow you to upload to a website? If dedicated software, do you know if it supports Mac?

I am very curious to understand the quality of this software. I understand the Garmin has decent software and website.

http://sigma-rox.com/en-us/rox-serie...0/technik.html
shows that its pc/mac ready

for more spcificly on the sigma software
http://sigma-rox.com/en-us/data-cent...gsanalyse.html

kingsqueak 10-25-13 03:56 PM

No direct connector to web uploads. You use their software to pull the logged data from the unit and export it to a format to upload to strava etc. You also load track files into the unit with the included software.

I installed on a Win7 Pro system with no trouble, it auto discovered the USB drivers and the included installer disc for the software worked fine.

Firmware updates are pushed to the device with the software too and that worked easily without having to read how to do it ( I'm an A level tech nerd though )

mstraus 10-25-13 06:08 PM

Cool, thanks. Look forward to hearing your impression after riding with it. Very tempted to get one when I get my new bike.

sierrabob 10-26-13 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak (Post 16192478)
No direct connector to web uploads. You use their software to pull the logged data from the unit and export it to a format to upload to strava etc. You also load track files into the unit with the included software.

I installed on a Win7 Pro system with no trouble, it auto discovered the USB drivers and the included installer disc for the software worked fine.

Firmware updates are pushed to the device with the software too and that worked easily without having to read how to do it ( I'm an A level tech nerd though )

No way to upload to Strava until after you get home and connect to Sigma Data Center. Bummer. Too much effort. Strava on smartphones is killing the high end
bike computer.

I've owned ROX 9.0 and 9.1 for years, but will probably pass on this.

Looigi 10-26-13 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrabob (Post 16193346)
No way to upload to Strava until after you get home and connect to Sigma Data Center. Bummer. ...

Agree. Bogus. With the Garmin 500 and 705, I can straightforwardly transfer route/data files (GPX, TCX, FIT) both ways between websites and my devices using my Android phone and a $1 OTG adapter cable.

kingsqueak 10-27-13 02:18 PM

Got the first ride in today, put about an hour on it.

So my success with not reading the manual was not complete LOL the ANT+ sensors weren't paired, though at a skim through I thought it would be automatic. So I didn't register the cadence and HR data from this ride (speed sensor is waiting on the new wheels to arrive before I clip that on).

I did find out that it does speed pretty well just using the GPS anyway, so it doesn't require the speed sensor to log the speed or your tracks/distance etc.

Readability is good, no problems there. The mounting is either o-ring or zip-ties and I went the zip-ties route because neither me nor the bike are the delicate types. For cadence sender on the crank, you have a choice of a zip-tie pod or a small magnet that sticks to the inside of the pedal shaft bolt. I went with the pod figuring I might knock off the little magnet on trail rides.

The hour ride didn't even register as far as battery use goes, when I plugged it back into the computer it still registered as 100% so I expect the battery life on this to be quite long.

It could likely be me, but the Sigma Data Center software is not exporting either .FIT or .GPX files cleanly. It's generating corrupted file stubs with no real data in them...thus no uploads/imports to Strava until I get that sorted out. I have an email in to Sigma about it nowl.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.