Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 106 of 106
  1. #101
    Senior Member SmallFront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My Bikes
    Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyl View Post
    Cars don't need such a helmet-light-as-signaling-device, they get seen. Motorcycles might well need them, they are overlooked as often as bicycles.

    One clarification though - the helmet-mounted spot beam does not light up whatever I am "looking at", because my eyes move independently of my head as do yours. Even when I swivel my head from side to side to scan, the spot beam only lights up the ground. To light up a car or driver, I have to deliberately raise my head, almost put my nose in the air.
    Ah, yes, you are so good at aiming your light that it doesn't bother anyone. Sure.


    Maybe in Copenhagen. In the US where I ride, "distracted driving" as we call it is a big problem and not a declining one.
    I haven't only been cycling in Copenhagen as you seem to imply. But by your argument, since the problem isn't declining or at least diminished from what it would have been with no legislation in place, therefore we might as well have no laws at all, and stop trying to enforce said laws. What is it with some Americans in particular: They are so insular that they think that no experience in the world apart from their own, on their exact doorstep can in any way be valid. It's utter denial and deflection of the points posted, all so that you can continue with your antisocial behaviour. Oh, right, your are so good at aiming your headlight that noone get's blinded, even momentarily by your use of it.

    Well, at least your half-decent in that you are consistent in your thinking in that you could see the same "benefits" working for motorcyclists too. Not that that in any way makes your argument anymore valid, but at least it is consistent.




    Maybe I should shoot a video of a typical ride at night using the helmet spot beam I'm describing. I think you'll see it is a selective signaling tool, not a broad annoyance tool like a wide-beam strobing helmet light is.
    The funny thing is, that let's say you actually were right, banning strobing headlights and have them pointed on the road would actually be akin the regulations concerning headlights on cars and motorcycles. However, since we also use lights to determining the direction of travel, a headlight that swerves around isn't exactly helping in that regard. Especially not if you have a couple of people with them on, and as was said: For the person it is directed at it will look like a strobe because they get the full light intermittently.

  2. #102
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,529
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFront View Post
    Legislation for both has cut down that behaviour immensily. If you fail to see that, it is willing ignorance on your part. Or perhaps you are arguing that speed limits in general is a stupid idea and that we shouldn't try to make people adhere to them? It seems that that might be the case with you.
    You should come to the US some time and observe. Even in states where talking on a cell phone while driving is illegal, almost everyone still does it. Nobody cares, and nobody gets ticketed either, unless the cops want to pull you over or need a reason to charge you with something or blame an accident on you.

    Almost nobody actually drives the speed limit in the US either. At least 5, usually 10 MPH over the speed limit is the AVERAGE speed of a car on any road. You really don't get pulled over unless you're doing something like 20 MPH over. But if there were no rule and no enforcement, people would drive far faster.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  3. #103
    Senior Member SmallFront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My Bikes
    Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to the US on several occassions, both riding a bike and a motorcycle, as well as driving a car. It's not really that much different to most other places in the Western world.

    Even here in Denmark, where he thinks it is so different and so good for cyclists, plenty of people talk with a phone to their head while driving (and riding). However, it is also illegal to ride a bicycle and talk on your phone unless you have a handsfree setup. People also speed here at about the same percentages as people in the US. Out in the backwaters people tend to speed more and drive more drunk. Just like in the US.

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    But if there were no rule and no enforcement, people would drive far faster.
    Yes, I agree.

  4. #104
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFront View Post
    ...It's called respecting your fellow road users and behaving accordingly.
    Ah, I perceive. So if some jerk-o motorist decides to hang a left while arguing with his girl friend on the cell and I'm riding through the intersection and get mowed down by the twit, when the doctor comes into my hospital room to remove my feeding tube to give me the bad news that I'll never walk again I get to smile, beat my chest and say, " That's okay Doc because you see, I'm a still going to respect my fellow road users". ( ba, dump )

    Let me think on that a bit...( insert two seconds of elevator music here )....done. I think I'll take option "B", "Choose to live and tell others to kiss my sweet behind" because it's going to be real hard to respect someone if I'm dead or crippled for life.
    Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 12-13-13 at 01:23 PM.

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    My Bikes
    Scattante R670
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3000 lumens? In strobe mode? While you're at it, why not also get the police sirens? Or perhaps a totally illegally powerful laser from China? >.>

  6. #106
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFront View Post
    ...It's called respecting your fellow road users and behaving accordingly.
    I know I already commented on this subject but let's revisit the "respect" issue ( this time more seriously ) . If respect is the main issue you want to harp on let's go there for a moment;

    I think everyone knows that "respect" is not a one way street. To get respect you have to "GIVE" respect. When you give respect you get respect. That's how it works. That said, consider the Motorist and what respect they are given by the powers that be. The motorist is given the privilege to operate a 2 ton motor vehicle on the public roads. They are given roads and highways specifically designed for those motor vehicles. The people who design those motor vehicles respect the people who use them so much that they have mandated certain safety standards that are meant to protect and prevent them from injury or death in the event they get into a high speed accident ( whither it is their fault or someone else's )

    Basic preventive measures for motor vehicles are as follows: Government mandated frame construction designed to absorb a certain level of impact in the event of an accident. Bright lights on the front, rear and sides. High beam low beam, emergency flashers, loud horn. Seat belt restraints and air bags. I should also mention here that even the roads themselves are designed to protect the motorist by using railing and other devices to keep vehicles from accidentally going off the road or highway.

    Now let's look at the cyclist and what respect has been given them to use public roads. A "bicycle" is recognized by most governmental jurisdictions. They make laws to protect the cyclist and give them the right to use the road. They must follow general rules of the road ( like motorists ) Those rules give them right of way in certain situations but for the most part they must operate the bike in a reasonable manner.

    Okay lets look at the safety measures being given to cyclist by the general public; Well, not a long list here. Bikes come with reflectors front and rear along with some spoke reflectors. As far as equipment goes if a cyclist wants more he has to buy it himself.

    Now lets look at what is done for the cyclist when he is riding on the road. Depending on where you live this may vary but where I live some roads have nice shoulders and some have none. When there are no shoulders the cyclist must ride more into the road. This of course puts them in more danger. Some places have paved bike trail and/or bike lanes on major roads. While this is nice it is by no means the general rule. Bike lanes are usually nothing more than painted lines on the road surface. More often than not most motorist just ignore them if no cyclist is present. ( and sometimes even when a cyclist is present )

    All things considered, the cyclist is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to getting "road respect ". Well we can't weld metal to their bikes and attach an air bag system cause it just wouldn't work ( need I say ). That said what are you gonna do to give parity to the cyclist? When it comes to "publicly provided/mandated" safety precautions the cyclist is obviously coming out on the short end. A crash impact that would barely scratch a motorist ( in his car ) could easily kill or maim a cyclist. The ONLY reasonable option that the cyclist has at his disposal is to increase his visual presence while on the road.

    Special bright clothing, lights and so forth can do wonders to help. The problem is , even with good lights ( front and back ) and bright clothing a cyclists' presence can sometimes get lost in the mix of traffic and off road distractions. To give the cyclist his "Just Due Respect", you need to give him/her something that will bring them over the top and get them seen. A bright flashing light will do that. It really ain't all that big a thing but properly used magnifies his road presence ten fold.

    I encounter flashing lights everyday while driving down the road. That said I'm sure I'm not the only one. Last time I checked I still haven't seen anyone running off the road or having eye surgery because they saw a bright flashing light while driving down the road.
    Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 12-14-13 at 07:02 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •