Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Still looking for my dream Android application

    Hello

    I'm still looking for an Android application with the following features:
    • Can import GPX routes drawn on a PC for offline use (without a data connection), and also import POIs: When touring, I need both a route and know about local sights along the way
    • Can display current location while using an offline route, without simultaneously recording a trace while riding
    • Can record a trace and either upload it to a web site, or make it available as a GPX file in the phone
    • Displays a +/- button to zoom in/out with just the right thumb while holding the phone, so I don't have to stop, hold the phone with both hands and pinch the screen
    • No need for bells and whistles like challenges: I'm just riding my bike to commute and see the country side. No Lance Armstrong for me


    Is there an application that has those features?

    FWIW, I tried MapsWithMePro, Strava, and Endomondo.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,993
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this one: http://osmand.net/

    I looked at it awhile ago and I think it might hit most of your bullets.
    Ride more. Fret less.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost any general mapping program that offers offline maps will do all of this (except POI, oddly). They are all pretty basic.

    The apps that target bicycling usually have a strong focus on training (don't just look at them).
    Last edited by njkayaker; 02-11-14 at 05:19 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Check this one: http://osmand.net/

    I looked at it awhile ago and I think it might hit most of your bullets.
    It does display routes but you can't change the color (which is useful if you have multiple routes). I don't believe it will display POIs either.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the infos. I forgot to say that I also tried OsmAnd, and didn't like it: It loses the route when I switch to another application (so need to reload it every time), and it's too slow to redraw when zooming in/out.

    Indeed, it seems like a lot of apps for bikes are meant for jocks instead of commuters, hence the training-related features.

    I'll try IpBike.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
    Thanks for the infos. I forgot to say that I also tried OsmAnd, and didn't like it: It loses the route when I switch to another application (so need to reload it every time), and it's too slow to redraw when zooming in/out.

    Indeed, it seems like a lot of apps for bikes are meant for jocks instead of commuters, hence the training-related features.

    I'll try IpBike.
    I just did a quick look-see over on Google play to see what IpBike is offering. To put it mildly, this app is totally techno-jock related. It is very much dialed into the training aspect of cycling. It does sound like it will work with the mapping sites and is ANT+ compatible with BTLE in beta testing. Will likely cover most of the bases once you figure out how to import the maps. I saw no mention of tracking but more than likely it is in there somewhere. If you like complicated, this is your app.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mapmyride?

    I downloaded all the ones that seemed interesting.

    Runtastic I like because it has map on one side and data on the other.

    Annoying that many have features that are specific to them and I would like..

  8. #8
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried and removed IpBike: The interface is too busy.

    Tried MapMyRide: For some reason, the mobile app shows no routes although I drew one through their web site. This app is also very workout-oriented, not for Joe Commute.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been trying them out walking the dog through snow an ice.

    If it is just Commute I guess you do not need the map, just the data?

  10. #10
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComPH View Post
    The IpBike turns the phone into device way more powerful than the highest Garmin Edge. It is certainly highly configurabe and requires patience to setup, afterward it is turnkey. The author is very willing to help, there is a Strava "club", Facebook page and other support sites. I use Strava a bit, so for me it was trivial to generate routes there, load the .gpx file on the phone, and to have the route display on the map. BTW, everything can be turned off except for the maps, many to choose from, I use google maps, cashed in the phone for my area. I can of course track real time where I am as well, then upload and share on strava ( or dozen other apps like that). The initial setup takes some effort, but so does riding a century. It all depends what you prefer. To me it was worth the eight bucks. Of course there are quite few solutions, but any one requires some learning curve. It is "entertainment" and training aid. I certainly didn't need Android and mapping app to comute to work...
    Cool...thanks for the feedback. Being able to track a ride and then upload it to a map site would be nice. If you can save POI's while doing that even better. If I ever decide to add a BTLE device for speed and IpBike makes BTLE doable I might decide to giver her a run.

    When using IpBike for planned routes can the app provide turn for turn audible ( or voice ) prompts?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another fan of IpBike, I've been using it as a poor man's Garmin Edge for a long time. It takes a while to get familiar with it, but once you go through all the options it's quite easy. If you wish for a new feature there is a good chance the author will implement it, if it is a reasonable one. Now try doing that with other apps.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out locus for the best solution on mapping

  13. #13
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irrelevantapple View Post
    check out Locus for the best solution on mapping
    Sweet! I just took a look at the app over on Google play and the Locus app really appeals to me. Not that I'm into geocaching but if I was this would be the app to have.

    All kind of great options with this app: a whole slew of map options which I've never seen offered with other apps. Some on line others off-line ( and downloadable ). Looks like a very useable UI. What I really like is the "Locus-Knowledge base" website that explains all the options before you buy. More than likely I'll be trying this app out as soon as I can escape the winter doldrums. One of more expensive apps but worth every penny if it works as good as it looks.

    irrel-apple, are there any other fees or subscriptions associated with this app that I need to know about? I know that some downloading of some maps is not free but other than that anything that I need to know. Will I need any special upgraded SD card or anything? ( my android phone is only one year old )
    Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 02-13-14 at 10:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not download the tom Tom app? Actual GPS functionality, with routes and mapping.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SW ONTARIO
    My Bikes
    P1 6Series Domane
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The upgraded $5.00 Cyclemeter does alot for $5.00

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cat man

    I don't even know what geocaching is lol. Give the free version a go to get an idea of Locus. I actually use ipbike with locus overlayed using halo mod. So recording and stats on ipbike while navigating on locus. Or actually Google cycling directions if a straight forward destination.

    I find locus pro almost perfect for cycling mapping. Using openandromaps which are prepackaged opencyclemaps you get an ideal interface. You can use the obvious online cycling route calculation from a few service providers or use a specific offline plugin called brouter. I use a separate phone as my bike computer so I actually create entire routes on locus and cross check for differences with Google cycling maps data, satellite and street view on my other phone. There's offline voice navigation of route files which is very useful in my opinion. Other impressive features is online and offline elevation data, live tracking and detailed location weather. Also route elevation profile and other statistics.

    The downsides are I'm using osmand for it's POI database, offline searching and also reverse offline voice navigation as locus doesnt have that one yet.

    free maps depends on what you get. All I'm using is the free openandromaps. You may need extra storage space depending on how much you need to store.

    also relevant to cycling but not for me as I record with ipbike. Is it supports ant sensors and now bt4.0 heart rate monitors apparently. Strava upload to top it off
    Last edited by irrelevantapple; 02-14-14 at 09:20 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irrelevantapple View Post
    Give the free version a go to get an idea of Locus.
    I need to look at it more but it looks like map downloading isn't by selecting geographical regions (by state, for example), which makes it a bit of a pain.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    I need to look at it more but it looks like map downloading isn't by selecting geographical regions (by state, for example), which makes it a bit of a pain.
    openandromaps from here
    http://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads

    i guess setting it up and learning exactly locus's use takes a little more effort. But it pays off and is easy to use after. Kind of like ipbike I guess.
    Last edited by irrelevantapple; 02-14-14 at 06:37 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
    I tried and removed IpBike: The interface is too busy.

    Tried MapMyRide: For some reason, the mobile app shows no routes although I drew one through their web site. This app is also very workout-oriented, not for Joe Commute.
    I'm almost 72 and don't find the interface busy at all. Ive been using it since July and find it very powerful. It's easy to remove any parameter you want from the screen and make your own.

    Rich
    ..life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ― Andy Rooney ...enjoy what's left!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
    I'm almost 72 and don't find the interface busy at all. Ive been using it since July and find it very powerful. It's easy to remove any parameter you want from the screen and make your own.

    Rich
    impressive. You make most people look simply lazy to not take time to set up tech. Though granted playing with these things requires a little spare time

  21. #21
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irrelevantapple View Post
    impressive. You make most people look simply lazy to not take time to set up tech. Though granted playing with these things requires a little spare time
    ...and that describes me almost perfectly. Reading what Rich has to say has put me to shame.

    Just finished downloading the Locus free version. So far it looks good. Need more time to play with it and to try different maps. If it doesn't snow ( again ) in the morning I might be able to go out and give it a test spin.

  22. #22
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continued from last post; The Locus app is not very intuitive. The real issue though is figuring out what all the settings do. I'm still trying to figure out how to track and how to delete your last input. Looks like I need to read a bit more on the website. The scary thing is I might figure it all out and then forget what I learned by the next time I use it. Damn if this this app doesn't just suck battery power! Hopefully it won't do this once I ( if I ) get everything figured out and start using it on a ride. ( edit; looks like "live tracking" is a pro-version only function. ...hmmm, a lot of the good stuff is "pro-only". Sheesh. )

    Oddly my GPS locator on my Android has been acting strange the past three days. Some days the GPS won't show my actual location ( on Google navigator ) or can't link up the satellite signal for some reason. ( )
    I reboot then all is well. Why this is I haven't a clue. Never had a problem before. Three days in a row now I've had to do this and it's ticking me off because I hate messing with this stuff while driving down the road. I only downloaded Locus a couple days ago so that can't be the reason.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do View Post
    Continued from last post; The Locus app is not very intuitive. The real issue though is figuring out what all the settings do. I'm still trying to figure out how to track and how to delete your last input. Looks like I need to read a bit more on the website. The scary thing is I might figure it all out and then forget what I learned by the next time I use it. Damn if this this app doesn't just suck battery power! Hopefully it won't do this once I ( if I ) get everything figured out and start using it on a ride. ( edit; looks like "live tracking" is a pro-version only function. ...hmmm, a lot of the good stuff is "pro-only". Sheesh. )

    Oddly my GPS locator on my Android has been acting strange the past three days. Some days the GPS won't show my actual location ( on Google navigator ) or can't link up the satellite signal for some reason. ( )
    I reboot then all is well. Why this is I haven't a clue. Never had a problem before. Three days in a row now I've had to do this and it's ticking me off because I hate messing with this stuff while driving down the road. I only downloaded Locus a couple days ago so that can't be the reason.
    the only maps i need for navigating is openandromaps

    yeah there is a bit of customising and learning to do. I go through the settings and try to figure out how to work things and I mostly get it. If I'm really stuck then Google for help sorts me out.

    For getting the most out of gps if you're rooted the app TopNTP can set you up. The app gps status doesn't need root can demonstrate how your gps is behaving.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irrelevantapple View Post
    For getting the most out of gps if you're rooted the app TopNTP can set you up. The app gps status doesn't need root can demonstrate how your gps is behaving.
    This appears only to be useful for the initial GPS lock. Unless your device is taking a long time to lock, this shouldn't be necessary (or very useful). Some of the benefits will work only if you have wifi (irrelevan when riding) or cell tower access (irrelevent for non-cell devices). And any benefits might be only for older devices.
    Last edited by njkayaker; 02-17-14 at 09:13 AM.

  25. #25
    Codemonkey @ ridewithgps
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Ridley Compact, Cannondale Flash2, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
    Hello

    I'm still looking for an Android application with the following features:
    • Can import GPX routes drawn on a PC for offline use (without a data connection), and also import POIs: When touring, I need both a route and know about local sights along the way
    • Can display current location while using an offline route, without simultaneously recording a trace while riding
    • Can record a trace and either upload it to a web site, or make it available as a GPX file in the phone
    • Displays a +/- button to zoom in/out with just the right thumb while holding the phone, so I don't have to stop, hold the phone with both hands and pinch the screen
    • No need for bells and whistles like challenges: I'm just riding my bike to commute and see the country side. No Lance Armstrong for me


    Is there an application that has those features?

    FWIW, I tried MapsWithMePro, Strava, and Endomondo.

    Thank you.
    I own/develop http://ridewithgps.com and we finally released an Android app this week. It's pretty solid, and I think you'll find it fits your bill pretty well, though a couple features are not be available yet. It has rock solid logging, with full bluetooth and bluetooth smart support. Navigation is available for basic/premium subscribers, as well as live logging. We will be adding in support for offline maps shortly, so you can download map tiles locally and still get maps without signal. Zoom in/out can be done with one hand via doubletap+slide, or via an onscreen button like normal google maps.

    We are pretty responsive so any issues or suggestions will get handled quickly. Give it a try!

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ridewithgps.mobile
    I love biking and I love programming, so I reallllly love working on http://ridewithgps.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •