Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   Best rear taillight available on Amazon for $20 or less? Looking for opinions (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/937026-best-rear-taillight-available-amazon-20-less-looking-opinions.html)

AceFahrenheit 03-06-14 03:52 PM

Best rear taillight available on Amazon for $20 or less? Looking for opinions
 
I've got an amazon gift card so it's gotta be available on amazon.

Just looking for the best "bang for my buck" in a taillight for $20 or less....


Ok, go!

edit:

Planet Bike Blinky "3" looks like a good, cheap option

Athens80 03-06-14 04:06 PM

I picked up the Cygolite Hotshot when it was reduced to $20, but it's now at a usual $27 price.

no1mad 03-06-14 04:58 PM

NR Cherrybomb 0.5w- http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Cher...cle+rear+light. Looks like if you go with Bike Mike (under more buying options), you'll have a couple of pennies to spare after shipping. I have this light- it is decent.

Edit: By "decent", I mean it is better than the 2 PBSF clones that I have- which is why I'm hesitant to suggest any of the myriad of no name knock-offs.

Whichever light you decide, just avoid the ones that mention "laser" in the description.

Spld cyclist 03-06-14 06:15 PM

The Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 is currently $23.66: http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desig...ks+radbot+1000

This is much much much better than the blinky 3. Definitely worth the extra money. (I own both).

P.S. I do like the Planet Bike tail light mounts. They're simple, secure, and durable. They're also quite inexpensive if you want to buy more (like if you want to switch the light between multiple bikes). Portland Design Works uses the exact same mount, by the way.

rm -rf 03-06-14 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athens80 (Post 16555112)
I picked up the Cygolite Hotshot when it was reduced to $20, but it's now at a usual $27 price.

Yes, it's worth the extra $7.00

It's really bright, but it can also be dimmed down (on steady mode) for riding in a group.

The older version had a badly designed seatpost mount. This new version is good.

ItsJustMe 03-06-14 08:20 PM

I'd pick up soda cans on the side of the road until I could afford the extra $7 for the Hotshot.

I'd really like to like the Niterider Solas - same power as the hotshot but better beam pattern. However, by most of the reviews, the mounts are absolute ****e and break easily. I'll probably buy one anyway, I don't seem to be able to resist trying out taillights.

walrus1 03-06-14 10:14 PM

[MENTION=365667]AceFahrenheit[/MENTION] my recommendations are 1. Don't go with a Planet Bike Blinky mine fell off three miles into my first ride with it. 2. Go with the Portland Design Works Danger Zone Tail light. http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desig...ngerzone+light Yes it's $6 more but trust me it's worth more then that. I've never seen a taillight as visible during the day as it.

Looigi 03-07-14 10:28 AM

I have a number of these, $18.50. They're quite bright and I think them sufficient, though agree brighter is generally better. The mounting system has worked very well for me on a number of different bikes and makes it quick and easy to install and remove the light or move it between bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-...on+tech+swerve

noglider 03-07-14 06:20 PM

I'd say all of the lights here are probably better than the planet bike blinky 3. Don't be stingy about an extra $9 or less.

I have the cygolite hotshot, and it might be too bright. Also, it is USB-rechargeable. For me that's great. Much better than disposable batteries and still better than batteries I have to remove to recharge.

-=(8)=- 03-07-14 06:34 PM

From 6 to 14 on Amazon.
Great stuff. I use a blue one and you can tell people are slowing to check out what it is.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/7...Blue-Green.jpg

Rechargeable and comes with USB cable.

RaleighSport 03-07-14 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16558698)
I'd say all of the lights here are probably better than the planet bike blinky 3. Don't be stingy about an extra $9 or less.

I have the cygolite hotshot, and it might be too bright. Also, it is USB-rechargeable. For me that's great. Much better than disposable batteries and still better than batteries I have to remove to recharge.

Definitely too bright.. I've nearly blinded myself more than once with mine.

dougmc 03-08-14 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 16555248)
Edit: By "decent", I mean it is better than the 2 PBSF clones that I have- which is why I'm hesitant to suggest any of the myriad of no name knock-offs.

That said, the PBSF and its clones go well beyond *decent*, even if they're not the new hotness any more.

Nobody is going to go wrong putting a PBSF or clone (or two!) on the back of their bike. Just remember to tape it closed with clear tape or use a zip tie or something ... they do have that nasty flaw where the back can pop off if you don't. (And that's probably their biggest flaw, though it is easy to work around.)

Garfield Cat 03-08-14 06:14 AM

If only the original post would have moved the $$ to $30, then it would be worthwhile.

noglider 03-09-14 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 16559566)
If only the original post would have moved the $$ to $30, then it would be worthwhile.

Agreed!

sknhgy 03-09-14 06:56 PM

I like the Blackburn Flea, but it is $27. The thing is bright, tiny, and USB rechargeable. I love mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Flea...blackburn+flea

Looigi 03-10-14 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmc (Post 16559365)
That said, the PBSF and its clones go well beyond *decent*, even if they're not the new hotness any more...

Agree. The Princeton Tech light in my first post uses two of the same LEDs (so called 1/2 W) and is similar in brightness.

I prefer AAA blinkies to rechargeable. I get ~60 hrs a set in a PBSF, PT Swerve, etc... I check the light when I get home and if it's starting to get dim, I replace the batteries. Easier for me than keeping one charged.

ItsJustMe 03-10-14 07:57 AM

I agree, jumping from $20 to $30 opens up a world of excellent lights. Forcing the price below $20 really excludes almost all good lights. Going up to $30 includes a ton of good lights.

americanlt2 03-11-14 12:23 PM

I think the Blackburn 3.0 can be had for less than $20. It's a good light with side visibility.

Athens80 03-11-14 05:10 PM

Blackburn Mars Rear Lights
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by americanlt2 (Post 16568421)
I think the Blackburn 3.0 can be had for less than $20. It's a good light with side visibility.

I do like that the Blackburn Mars 3.0 (MSRP $18.99) and Mars 4.0 (MSRP $24.99) include amber side lights.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368323 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368324

fietsbob 03-11-14 06:18 PM

Just not a reviewer for amazon . so IDK their inventory . got this one thru my local shop.

the Cateye Reflex LED Tail Light

seen here Universal Cycles -- Cateye Reflex LED Tail Light

fresnel prism scheme spreads out the light and the whole thing can be seen from 180 degrees +

Grumbler 03-11-14 06:52 PM

This will leave you with a few $ for something else.

Amazon.com: BikeGearz(tm) High Intensity Red 5 LED Bike - Bicycle - Cycling Flashing Rear Safety Tail Light with 6 Modes: Sports & Outdoors

Mine clips very neatly to my saddle bag.

lopek77 03-13-14 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=(8)=- (Post 16558736)
From 6 to 14 on Amazon.
Great stuff. I use a blue one and you can tell people are slowing to check out what it is.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/7...Blue-Green.jpg

Rechargeable and comes with USB cable.

Highly illegal in most places, and for sure in Michigan...Don't ask me why I know that so well lol

sknhgy 03-13-14 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lopek77 (Post 16575133)
Highly illegal in most places, and for sure in Michigan...Don't ask me why I know that so well lol

I think only cops can use blue in Illinois. But who makes those? Is there a link? I like the small USB rechargeable lights.

SlimAgainSoon 03-14-14 11:23 AM

Not $20, but close, at $24 ... CatEye Reflex AutoAmazon.com: CatEye Reflex Auto Bicycle Rear Safety Light TL-LD570-R: Sports & Outdoors ... and free prime shipping, if you have that.

I got this light a few months ago. It is excellent the best-built light I've ever had.

One nice thing the lens is bigger than most taillights.

You can find brighter lights, I'm sure, but the size of this one's lens makes it highly visible.

The light also cuts itself off in daylight or when the bike stops moving (after 60 seconds or so). You can override the cutoff function, if you like.

Runs on 2 AA batteries.

I'm getting another one for my other bike, which I use on commutes every now and then.

Don in Austin 03-14-14 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon (Post 16577544)
Not $20, but close, at $24 ... CatEye Reflex AutoAmazon.com: CatEye Reflex Auto Bicycle Rear Safety Light TL-LD570-R: Sports & Outdoors ... and free prime shipping, if you have that.

I got this light a few months ago. It is excellent — the best-built light I've ever had.

One nice thing — the lens is bigger than most taillights.

You can find brighter lights, I'm sure, but the size of this one's lens makes it highly visible.

The light also cuts itself off in daylight or when the bike stops moving (after 60 seconds or so). You can override the cutoff function, if you like.

Runs on 2 AA batteries.

I'm getting another one for my other bike, which I use on commutes every now and then.

This looks Ok, but these days I would not get a light that was not USB rechargeable.

Don in Austin


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.