Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-14, 07:15 AM   #1
JacobKinsella
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iPhone app that acts as a sat nav?

I'm looking for an app that I can import a .gpx route into, and navigate it like a sat nav would.

Anyone know what the best app for this is?

Thanks guys
JacobKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 10:13 AM   #2
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,800
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Moved from Commuting.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 10:49 AM   #3
JacobKinsella
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Moved from Commuting.
Cheers hopefully I'll get some some answers here!
JacobKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 01:05 PM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,056
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
havent checked the Apple Ap store yet , have you ?
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 02:33 PM   #5
JacobKinsella
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
havent checked the Apple Ap store yet , have you ?
I can't find any that I can import a gpx file to
JacobKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 02:45 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,056
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
GPS I've heard of, not GPX..

The GPS sattelite stuff has Supplemented NOAA paper Navigation charts,
to where you now have to download and print your own..

when you see no Shore Knowing where you are is important , there you need backups.
and old chool navigation skills are lifesavers when the tech goes down ..

on a bicycle You just stop and ask someone ..

amazed how fast electronics widget sales replaced map reading skills ..
glad you all have gained so much freely disposable income .

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-24-14 at 08:30 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 02:49 PM   #7
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 3, 1995 Raleigh R600
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
You can import routes into cyclemeter, which incidentally just went down from $5 to free. Haven't tried the feature myself but I think it's possible
hubcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 07:32 AM   #8
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
GPS I've heard of, not GPX...
FYI: GPX is a file format (and an extension) used for saving and transferring tracks or routes. You plan a ride on a website or using mapping software and then can share that route with others or download it to many GPS navigation devices (including smart phones) to navigate it in real time.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 08:14 AM   #9
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
GPS I've heard of, not GPX..

The GPS sattelite stuff has Supplemented NOAA paper Navigation charts,
to where you now have to download and print your own..

when you see no Shore Knowing where you are is important , there you need backups.
and old chool navigation skills are lifesavers when the tech goes down ..

on a bicycle You just stop and ask someone ..
Usless post.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 08:18 AM   #10
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobKinsella View Post
I'm looking for an app that I can import a .gpx route into, and navigate it like a sat nav would.

Anyone know what the best app for this is?

Thanks guys
I suppose you mean something that will give you "turn by turn" directions from a loaded gpx route. (The Garmin Edge 800/810 do this.)

I'm not sure if there are any for iOS.

There are a lot of apps that let you upload gpx routes and use those routes for basic navigation (following the route drawn on the map).
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 08:19 AM   #11
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
You can import routes into cyclemeter, which incidentally just went down from $5 to free. Haven't tried the feature myself but I think it's possible
It doesn't appear that you can use the route for "turn by turn" navigation.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 08:26 AM   #12
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 3, 1995 Raleigh R600
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
It doesn't appear that you can use the route for "turn by turn" navigation.
Oh, that's too bad. i thought and was hoping I could take mapmyride files for rides others have done and load them into cyclemeter
hubcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 08:34 AM   #13
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Oh, that's too bad. i thought and was hoping I could take mapmyride files for rides others have done and load them into cyclemeter
Cyclemeter is (appears to be) more of a cycle computer replacement (training tool). It does show a route on a map and your position relative to it. But there are lots of apps that do that. It's possible that the "elite" version ($5/year) does more but it doesn't seem to.

The story for Android is a bit better. There's a "cuesheet" app and there's a new app from ridewithgps (supposedly, ridewithgps has an iOS app in the works). Ridewithgps requires a subscription for navigation (you get other stuff too) for $6/month//$50 year.

Mapmyride has an app (not sure if it does turn-by-turn).

(There are a few apps that suggest they will provide turn-by-turn directions but either don't really or if they do, don't work very well.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-24-14 at 09:00 AM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 11:34 AM   #14
JacobKinsella
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
I suppose you mean something that will give you "turn by turn" directions from a loaded gpx route. (The Garmin Edge 800/810 do this.)

I'm not sure if there are any for iOS.

There are a lot of apps that let you upload gpx routes and use those routes for basic navigation (following the route drawn on the map).
That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Still not had any luck finding an app though
JacobKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 02:16 PM   #15
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,056
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
saw a planetarium App on a friends phone , you can use celestial navigation then,
with those artificial constellations.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 02:32 PM   #16
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
I suppose you mean something that will give you "turn by turn" directions from a loaded gpx route. (The Garmin Edge 800/810 do this.)

I'm not sure if there are any for iOS.

There are a lot of apps that let you upload gpx routes and use those routes for basic navigation (following the route drawn on the map).
I know that MapMyRide will build "route notes" that can then be used in tandem with any device that has GPS capabilities. I've got a Garmin, so I've never used any of their apps, but from reviewing the site, it appears that the iOS version should do the trick. You can also seamlessly upload your rides to MMR for tracking. I'm not sure if any of this is lumped into their premium feature category.

Strava also recently rolled out a route builder that functions similarly to MMR. I know they have an iPhone app, but I'm not sure how many of the new features have been rolled over to it. Originally, Route Builder was available only to Strava Premium users. Not sure if they've changed that or not.
cafzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 02:33 PM   #17
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
saw a planetarium App on a friends phone , you can use celestial navigation then,
with those artificial constellations.
This is a great example of someone who's just looking to make a ton of friends.
cafzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 07:32 PM   #18
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobKinsella View Post
That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Still not had any luck finding an app though
You mean you are looking for the first thing (turn by turn).

If so, there aren't many options for that (especially, on iOS). Mapmyride might do something close (if not exactly that).

App developers mostly seem to consider navigation for cars (rather than supporting navigating loop routes).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-24-14 at 07:46 PM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 07:38 PM   #19
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
I know that MapMyRide will build "route notes" that can then be used in tandem with any device that has GPS capabilities. I've got a Garmin, so I've never used any of their apps, but from reviewing the site, it appears that the iOS version should do the trick. You can also seamlessly upload your rides to MMR for tracking. I'm not sure if any of this is lumped into their premium feature category.

Strava also recently rolled out a route builder that functions similarly to MMR. I know they have an iPhone app, but I'm not sure how many of the new features have been rolled over to it. Originally, Route Builder was available only to Strava Premium users. Not sure if they've changed that or not.
Recording and uploading tracks is easy! There are many options for that.

I noticed the Stava "route builder" thing. I'll have to keep an eye on it to check it out (if it gets out of being a "premium" feature).
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 07:42 PM   #20
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
saw a planetarium App on a friends phone , you can use celestial navigation then,
with those artificial constellations.
One could also just ignore people who have no idea how to answer the question being asked (with a much more useful result).
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 06:51 AM   #21
cyclebee
I heart moonsaddle
 
cyclebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Trek, redline, giant, schwinn
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are sim pretty cool iPod apps that track your riding I like the map my ride app myself
cyclebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 09:31 PM   #22
ChargerDawg
Senior Member
 
ChargerDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oceanside CA
Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cyclemeter
The import feature is a bit cumbersome, but it will work.
ChargerDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 11:55 AM   #23
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 28,009
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Usless post.
That seems to be our friend's specialty.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 03:24 PM   #24
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerDawg View Post
Cyclemeter
The import feature is a bit cumbersome, but it will work.
^^this. I've done it.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.