Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 91
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Because I feel it's just another thing we don't really need that intrudes on being in the moment and I felt like commenting on it. Checking text messages while riding a bicycle seems about as great as doing it while driving. Worse, isn't the point of cycling to enjoy the ride? That was my point.
    You can turn it off. It doesn't "intrude" on you unless you have problems turning it off.

    The feature might let some people to "enjoy the ride" by allowing them to ride when they also need to be able to be contacted.

    The point about "distracted riding" is worth making (but the problem with texting might be typing, not reading). (It only took you 4 posts to mention it!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I also acknowledged it would still be better than having to stop your ride to check your phone. So I'm not dismissing this feature either. Have I justified myself sufficiently to you now that I am allowed to express an opinion?
    I'm just expressing an opinion. (And, no, you haven't justified yourself at all. That's another opinion.)
    Last edited by njkayaker; 05-18-14 at 09:46 PM.

  2. #27
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I forget where the thread was here but not too long ago, some yahoo actually was asking about the best way to mount their iPad on their bike.
    Now that would be pretty funny looking.. I wonder if he/she ever got it mounted?? LOL

    The 1000 is freaking HUGE!! I put it next to my iPhone 5S and it's almost the same size...

  3. #28
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    You can turn it off. It doesn't "intrude" on you unless you have problems turning it off.

    The feature might let some people to "enjoy the ride" by allowing them to ride when they also need to be able to be contacted.

    The point about "distracted riding" is worth making (but the problem with texting might be typing, not reading).


    I'm just expressing an opinion. (And, no, you haven't justified yourself at all. That's another opinion.)

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not making any more sense.

  5. #30
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'locked screen' bug surfaced again this morning while I was loading a new segment via WiFi connection..

    Put the unit to sleep and immediately woke it back up and all was back to normal..

    The 'locked screen' happened pretty often with 2.10 but is obviously still there in 2.20..

  6. #31
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's ride was one of my shorter routes.. I chickened out because of the winds.. Only went 32 miles into heavy headwinds for half the ride..

    A few issues before the ride even started.. Initially Bluetooth connected with no problem but the sync with Garmin Connect failed. I did this dance a few times and no dice. I was able to get the Edge to sync with Gamin Connect but I had to reboot the iPhone 1st..

    Then I attempted to load a course.. No dice! The circle just kept spinning saying 'loading course'.. I gave up after a few minutes and rebooted the Edge. Next I did the Bluetooth connect and fail to sync with Garmin Connect dance AGAIN...

    After sorting it all out the ride went smooth and I had no issues.. I did demolish my previous best on a segment climb today so that was awesome!

    No 'locked screen' issues while riding. I am using the Edge remote and have never had an issue or this message when using it. The 'locked screen' issue only presents itself when manually interacting with the screen..

    My K-Edge XL shipped today and my Garmin wireless speed and cadence sensors shipped today. With some luck, I hope to have them in my grubby paws on Wednesday..
    Last edited by raqball; 05-19-14 at 04:03 PM.

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New York and Florida
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Gus

  8. #33
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    Today's ride was one of my shorter routes.. I chickened out because of the winds.. Only went 32 miles into heavy headwinds for half the ride..

    A few issues before the ride even started.. Initially Bluetooth connected with no problem but the sync with Garmin Connect failed. I did this dance a few times and no dice. I was able to get the Edge to sync with Gamin Connect but I had to reboot the iPhone 1st..

    Then I attempted to load a course.. No dice! The circle just kept spinning saying 'loading course'.. I gave up after a few minutes and rebooted the Edge. Next I did the Bluetooth connect and fail to sync with Garmin Connect dance AGAIN...

    After sorting it all out the ride went smooth and I had no issues.. I did demolish my previous best on a segment climb today so that was awesome!

    No 'locked screen' issues while riding. I am using the Edge remote and have never had an issue or this message when using it. The 'locked screen' issue only presents itself when manually interacting with the screen..

    My K-Edge XL shipped today and my Garmin wireless speed and cadence sensors shipped today. With some luck, I hope to have them in my grubby paws on Wednesday..
    sounds like it's even more buggy than my 810 has been. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually, hopefully quicker than it took them with the 810. I hate it when a company releases an incomplete product to the market so first adopters can serve as beta testers.

    having said that if this thing was short enough to fit on my current kedge mount i probably would have bought it and given my wife my 810 instead of buying here a 510. Having to buy 4 new mounts for my 4 bikes and possibly new speed and cadence sensors is just too much hassle and expense to get some of the new features. Anyone know if the 1000 works with the gsc-10 sensors?
    Last edited by Gus90; 05-20-14 at 06:26 AM.

  9. #34
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhendrick View Post
    Oh Gus
    At some point its pointless to try and defend a point of view with people that insist their view is best, potato potato, tomato tomato.

  10. #35
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved, who needs a garmin 1000? With this i can now get text messages, read a book, watch a movie, update facebook, find friends, navigate, play games, and everything in between. Including arguing with obvious forum trolls like you know who.



    Of course I will need a charger too...

    image.jpg
    Last edited by Gus90; 05-20-14 at 07:16 PM.

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pleasanton,CA
    My Bikes
    Look 695;Trek Y-33,Madone P1 6series, Parlee Z5i
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I use that on the trainer ( no charger )

  12. #37
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Anyone know if the 1000 works with the gsc-10 sensors?
    Yes the GSC-10 works with the Edge 1000

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    Yes the GSC-10 works with the Edge 1000
    The new and old speed/cadence sensors look exactly the same to the head unit.

    The head unit has no idea what type of sensor is transmitting the data.

    You can use the old/new sensors with any of the Edges (200/500/510/800/810/1000, etc).

    It's also less work to program and debug.

    It's kind of a basic point of the ANT+ stuff.
    Last edited by njkayaker; 05-20-14 at 03:08 PM.

  14. #39
    Senior Member pavemen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 2.0
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    Yes the GSC-10 works with the Edge 1000
    Works with a Samgung S4 and a few others as well..... No computer needed

  15. #40
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    The new and old speed/cadence sensors look exactly the same to the head unit.

    The head unit has no idea what type of sensor is transmitting the data.

    You can use the old/new sensors with any of the Edges (200/500/510/800/810/1000, etc).

    It's also less work to program and debug.

    It's kind of a basic point of the ANT+ stuff.

  16. #41
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    sounds like it's even more buggy than my 810 has been. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually, hopefully quicker than it took them with the 810. I hate it when a company releases an incomplete product to the market so first adopters can serve as beta testers.

    having said that if this thing was short enough to fit on my current kedge mount i probably would have bought it and given my wife my 810 instead of buying here a 510. Having to buy 4 new mounts for my 4 bikes and possibly new speed and cadence sensors is just too much hassle and expense to get some of the new features. Anyone know if the 1000 works with the gsc-10 sensors?
    I hear ya. In addition to cycling, another hobby I enjoy is amateur and scanner radio. Uniden Corp released two new scanner models in January of this year. Things are so damn buggy one would swear that they were not beta tested at all before being released to the general public. Uniden claims they were, but you've got to wonder about that. They've already had to recall one of the models due to a headphone jack issue.

    I realize that all bugs won't be found during testing, but sometimes it seems like a company isn't even trying. "Let's just get the latest and greatest to the market" seems to be the thinking.

    Sometimes I guess it's just a case of "caveat emptor."
    My latest attempt at blogging...Big Guy On A Bicycle :~) (updated 5-30-14 with pics)


  17. #42
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all fairness here I think the Edge 1000 has been pretty stable.. Other than a few bugs, I am really liking it over my 810..

    The 810, for me at least, was a disaster that I could never get to work as promised / advertised..

    As far as the 810 goes, Garmin did recently release firmware 3.0 for it and that did solve most of the issues that I was having with it. By that time I had already sworn it off as dead to me..

    I am really diggin the 1000 though even with it's minor annoyances..

  18. #43
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    In all fairness here I think the Edge 1000 has been pretty stable.. Other than a few bugs, I am really liking it over my 810..

    The 810, for me at least, was a disaster that I could never get to work as promised / advertised..

    As far as the 810 goes, Garmin did recently release firmware 3.0 for it and that did solve most of the issues that I was having with it. By that time I had already sworn it off as dead to me..

    I am really diggin the 1000 though even with it's minor annoyances..
    the ongoing problem with my 810 is that every so often my last ride gets stuck in a loop loading when I try to bring it back up to review it. then i have to go and delete all rides and it drives me nuts. they were supposed to fix this with the last software patch but it still happens. i have plenty of available memory on the device, it's just so frustrating that it really puts garmin in a bad light for me. i've researched the problem in their forums and have even written to their support to no avail. Makes me mad.

    The main issue preventing me from upgrading to the 1000, other than being disappointed in Garmin for my crappy 810, is that if I understand the reviews correctly, you can't enter multiple bicycle profiles. If that's true, it really sucks, I have 4 bikes I swap my current Garmin between and it's a must have feature for me. That and the fact I'd need to buy 4 new k-edge mounts not that it's that expensive, just a hassle.

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    In all fairness here I think the Edge 1000 has been pretty stable.. Other than a few bugs, I am really liking it over my 810..

    The 810, for me at least, was a disaster that I could never get to work as promised / advertised..

    As far as the 810 goes, Garmin did recently release firmware 3.0 for it and that did solve most of the issues that I was having with it. By that time I had already sworn it off as dead to me..

    I am really diggin the 1000 though even with it's minor annoyances..
    It's good news that the 1000 is working well for you.

    The 800 has worked very well for me but I got it with later firmware (it's possible that there were excessive problems with earlier versions of the 800 firmware).

  20. #45
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My K-Edge XL and the new Garmin speed and cadence sensors are out for delivery today.. My mail comes early so I will plop them on, pair up the sensor and hit the road today..

    I will post back later after that ride to see how the new sensors behave..

  21. #46
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K-Edge XL and the sensors came this morning..

    The K-Edge XL is a night and day improvement over the included Garmin Out Front..

    The sensors connected and paired up just fine and I had no issues with them during the ride. I put the speed sensor on the rear hub (can go on either the front or rear) and the cadence sensor goes on the non drive side crank arm..

    Worked like a charm! I am a happy camper!

  22. #47
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Iphone 5s

    I recently got mine. Went on a quick ride. The bluetooth disconnects, but I deleted and paired again and it seemed stable.

    However, i am no able to receive text notifications.

    Do i have to have a setting on my iPhone 5S for the notification to show?

    Or is the a setting in the Garmin 1000 that I have to setup?

    Thanks

  23. #48
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure on the iPhone that Text and Phone are set up / enabled in Notification Center:

    Settings --> Notification Center --> Phone --> Show in Notification Center is turned on

    Check the same for Messages

    Next check your Bluetooth on the iPhone

    Settings --> Bluetooth.. Do you see BT_Edge 1000 and BLE_Edge 1000?

    BLE is the connection for text and phone notifications..

    Lastly, on the Edge 1000 and If BT is properly setup and paired you should navigate to

    Settings --> Bluetooth --> Enable (turned on) and --> Call and Text Alerts (tuned on)

    Hope that helps..
    Last edited by raqball; 05-28-14 at 10:23 PM.
    2013 Sirrus Limited SL4
    11-speed Ultegra 6870 Di2
    Magellan Cyclo 505 USA

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    K-Edge XL and the sensors came this morning..

    The K-Edge XL is a night and day improvement over the included Garmin Out Front..

    The sensors connected and paired up just fine and I had no issues with them during the ride. I put the speed sensor on the rear hub (can go on either the front or rear) and the cadence sensor goes on the non drive side crank arm..

    Worked like a charm! I am a happy camper!
    1. Thank you for all the information and the review. This item is very new and there isn't a lot of reviews beyond a I boxing or first look. Appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

    2. My edge is on order and was wondering if you could show us a pic of what the new out front mount your ordered looks like as it sounds like I need to get that baby is the mail to enjoy with my edge when it gets in.

    Again thank you for sharing.

  25. #50
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidboss View Post
    could show us a pic of what the new out front mount your ordered looks like as it sounds like I need to get that baby is the mail to enjoy with my edge when it gets in.
    Sure here you go.. The included 'Out Front' mount and the K-Edge XL

    Here is the included 'Out Front' mount and it's not really 'Out Front'




    Here is the K-Edge XL.. It does put the unit 'Out Front' and is much better but it costs $45..

    2013 Sirrus Limited SL4
    11-speed Ultegra 6870 Di2
    Magellan Cyclo 505 USA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •