Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Appropriate Super-Capacitors

    Dynohubs have been the number one choice for the majority of the professional cyclists that I have talked to online and in real life. It is awesome that - with today's technology - super-capacitors can continue to power your headlamps even when you are not pedaling.

    I have 2 questions:
    1. Are there any super-capacitors that can power a 1,000 lumens light for 5 minutes without pedaling?
    2. Would it be significantly safer if I add voltage regulators, or is it basically unnecessary?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,135
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    String enough of them in parallel and they'll be able to. The issue, of course, is that as soon as you start drawing current their voltage starts to decrease, linearly at constant current and exponential decay with a resistive load. What is needed is a dc-dc converter that will convert the decreasing voltage of the capacitors as they discharge to the the constant current needed to drive the LEDs.
    Ride more. Fret less.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    String enough of them in parallel and they'll be able to. The issue, of course, is that as soon as you start drawing current their voltage starts to decrease, linearly at constant current and exponential decay with a resistive load. What is needed is a dc-dc converter that will convert the decreasing voltage of the capacitors as they discharge to the the constant current needed to drive the LEDs.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    2,985
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    The issue, of course, is that as soon as you start drawing current their voltage starts to decrease, linearly at constant current and exponential decay with a resistive load. .
    To be fair, batteries experience a similar discharge curve, though it may not have exactly the same shape and since batteries hold a lot more energy than a similarly sized ultacapacitor, the effect isn't as noticeable as it's more spread out over time -- but it's certainly there, and anything that uses batteries as a power source should have been designed with that in mind.

    Lights already have to deal with batteries that don't give a constant voltage, so that same mechanism would work with an ultracapacitator powered power source. However, in order to have a ultracapacitator that can provide 10 watts for 5 minutes -- 3000 joules -- with a limited range of acceptable voltages (though you could possibly increase that to some degree with the dc-dc converter that Loigi mentioned, something beyond whatever is in your light) ... it would be quite large.
    Last edited by dougmc; 06-02-14 at 04:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,135
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Looigi; 06-02-14 at 07:55 AM.
    Ride more. Fret less.

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,795
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    parts-express.com has a bunch of capacitors , they stock them for speaker building but have some really big ones .

    Capacitors in the Electronic Parts Department at Parts Express | 68

    really its the capacitance that you are asking about , the Lumenns is an effect of the light , loading it ..



    amps is the draw it demands And how much for how long is amp hours . batteries are also measuring amp/hours.

    Perhaps a 6v gel electro-lite lead-acid battery would do as well .. You choose.


    Stand lights are coming in quite a few headlights these days .. just buy one ..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-14 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dwmckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem, Jamis Xenith Race,'88 Bob Jackson Touring Bike (I love this one best), Co-Motion Cascadia Touring Bike, Salsa Fargo, Burley TAB
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the Edelux II headlight has a 4 minute standby included and it sells for $200. Great light also!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aznman View Post
    Dynohubs have been the number one choice for the majority of the professional cyclists that I have talked to online and in real life. It is awesome that - with today's technology - super-capacitors can continue to power your headlamps even when you are not pedaling.

    I have 2 questions:
    1. Are there any super-capacitors that can power a 1,000 lumens light for 5 minutes without pedaling?
    2. Would it be significantly safer if I add voltage regulators, or is it basically unnecessary?
    To get the size of your supercap you could use this equation: C=I*Δt/ΔV, where C is in F, I in amps, Δt in sec, ΔV in volts. Assume you have a 5.5V supercap connected to a constant current LED driver able to work down to 3.5V to drive a 3A LED for 300sec to get 1000lm. This will give you 3*300/(5.5-3.5)=450F. Here's a 875F/5.5V bank:
    img01.jpg
    So it's not going to be small. Nor cheap!

  9. #9
    Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
    Posts
    2,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choa View Post
    To get the size of your supercap you could use this equation: C=I*Δt/ΔV, where C is in F, I in amps, Δt in sec, ΔV in volts. Assume you have a 5.5V supercap connected to a constant current LED driver able to work down to 3.5V to drive a 3A LED for 300sec to get 1000lm. This will give you 3*300/(5.5-3.5)=450F. Here's a 875F/5.5V bank:
    img01.jpg
    So it's not going to be small. Nor cheap!

  10. #10
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding your question 1, where will you find a dynohub driven 1000 lumen headlight? DIY?

    --J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    parts-express.com has a bunch of capacitors , they stock them for speaker building but have some really big ones .

    Capacitors in the Electronic Parts Department at Parts Express | 68

    really its the capacitance that you are asking about , the Lumenns is an effect of the light , loading it ..



    amps is the draw it demands And how much for how long is amp hours . batteries are also measuring amp/hours.

    Perhaps a 6v gel electro-lite lead-acid battery would do as well .. You choose.


    Stand lights are coming in quite a few headlights these days .. just buy one ..
    Parts-Express also carries a car audio cap that's 1 farad for about $100. It would seem more practical to me to use a modest rechargeable battery as part of such a dyno system.

  12. #12
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,795
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are probably right there ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •