Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-14, 10:29 PM   #26
Machoman121
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is definitely the best review of Cyclo 505 available. Thanks Raqball!!

I'm still sitting on the fence.....while magellan touts that they use OSM maps i think it's a bit misleading as users can't update their units themselves like u can with Garmin/OSM maps. U are still dependent on magellan to provide the cyclo-OSM maps. Cyclo 505 users can't use the normal OSM maps. And u can't use another country's OSM maps for free - again it's only available via Magellan (although i think currently they haven't figured it out yet how to make that available). Probably with a charge. Like they do with all their maps.

Magellan has always had a closed map system.....as much as many hate Garmins....the Garmin maps are very open allowing the users to update using OSM maps....which i find have better trails and off road accuracy. For normal roads the official Garmin is very very good - as good as any but off road trails the OSM kicks in for accuracy as it's maintained by actual users.
Machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 10:52 PM   #27
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
this is definitely the best review of Cyclo 505 available. Thanks Raqball!!

I'm still sitting on the fence.....while magellan touts that they use OSM maps i think it's a bit misleading as users can't update their units themselves like u can with Garmin/OSM maps. U are still dependent on magellan to provide the cyclo-OSM maps. Cyclo 505 users can't use the normal OSM maps. And u can't use another country's OSM maps for free - again it's only available via Magellan (although i think currently they haven't figured it out yet how to make that available). Probably with a charge. Like they do with all their maps.

Magellan has always had a closed map system.....as much as many hate Garmins....the Garmin maps are very open allowing the users to update using OSM maps....which i find have better trails and off road accuracy. For normal roads the official Garmin is very very good - as good as any but off road trails the OSM kicks in for accuracy as it's maintained by actual users.
My USA version of the Cyclo has Tele Atlas and OSM maps.. I have no doubt Magellan will charge for maps of different regions once they make that available.. Since I don't ever plan on leaving the USA to cycle, I'm cool with that.. I do see where that could be an issue for some though. Yes even the OSM maps that Magellan provides are baked into the OS so you can't update them without Magellan pushing the update to you..

Re Garmin mapping.. It's horrendous on the 1000.. TBT is a nightmare and it's unusable for navigation.. The Cyclo on the other hand is pretty darn great for mapping, TBT and navigation..

If navigation is a big thing for you then I'd most definitely go with the Cyclo..

The Cyclo has it's limitations but navigation, TBT and mapping is not one of them..

Last edited by raqball; 06-21-14 at 11:01 PM.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 11:06 PM   #28
Machoman121
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
My USA version of the Cyclo has Atlas and OSM maps.. I have no doubt Magellan will charge for maps of different regions once they make that available.. Since I don't ever plan on leaving the USA to cycle, I'm cool with that.. I do see where that could be an issue for some though. Yes even the OSM maps that Magellan provides are baked into the OS so you can't update them without Magellan pushing the update to you..

Re Garmin mapping.. It's horrendous on the 1000.. TBT is a nightmare and it's unusable for navigation.. The Cyclo on the other hand is pretty darn great for mapping, TBT and navigation..

If navigation is a big thing for you then I'd most definitely go with the Cyclo..

The Cyclo has it's limitation but navigation, TBT and map quality is not one of them..
It's weird that the Garmin Edge 1000 has bad TBT as u say......surely it's not that bad - i've got the Gpsmap 62s and the Nuvi and their TBT are just like any other GPS. Not that I'm doubting you.

Looks like it's a no brainer to get the Cyclo 505 if you are in the Garmin Edge market according to your excellent reviews.

Raqball - do u use the Cyclo 505 with the backlight off? Could one use it that way and have good visibility in normal daylight use?
Thanks for the excellent picture of the unit with the backlight off - it's looks very readable.
I hope i'm not pushing my luck - when you have the time can u also take a picture of the map with the back-light off? Find the best readable angle and take a pic of it.
Machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 11:13 PM   #29
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
It's weird that the Garmin Edge 1000 has bad TBT as u say......surely it's not that bad - i've got the Gpsmap 62s and the Nuvi and their TBT are just like any other GPS. Not that I'm doubting you.

Looks like it's a no brainer to get the Cyclo 505 if you are in the Garmin Edge market according to your excellent reviews.

Raqball - do u use the Cyclo 505 with the backlight off? Could one use it that way and have good visibility in normal daylight use?
Thanks for the excellent picture of the unit with the backlight off - it's looks very readable.
I hope i'm not pushing my luck - when you have the time can u also take a picture of the map with the back-light off? Find the best readable angle and take a pic of it.
If you look on the Edge 1000 forums many have turned TBT off on the Edge 1000 because it's so bad.. It really is a disaster. I used it once and had enough. Never turned it back on after that.. Route recalculation is a complete mess on the Edge 1000..

I ride all the time with backlight off and I can read it just fine. Of course with the backlight off, if I go under a bridge or into a heavily shaded area, I can't read the screen at all...

Yes I will try to remember during my ride tomorrow to snap a few photos of the map with the backlight off... I am doing a 56 mile track tomorrow and will be following navigation so snapping a few photos is no big deal..

I will post the photo up tomorrow after my ride..

Last edited by raqball; 06-21-14 at 11:16 PM.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 03:16 AM   #30
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strange. Earlier Garmins (even my 10 year old Vista Hcx) Have really good TBT navigation as long as the base map is good.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 07:46 AM   #31
mibike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Strange. Earlier Garmins (even my 10 year old Vista Hcx) Have really good TBT navigation as long as the base map is good.
I'v been told that TBT was good on the Vista Hcx. However on the new eTrex it doesn't work very well. I have an eTrex 20. If I program a route in BaseCamp and down load it to my eTrex it may or may not give me the same route. If it changes the route then the TBT is wrong. I had it try to send me down a dead end road one time when it changed the route. I now always program a track and route so when it gives me a turn I can look at the track to see if it's correct. Also there is no way to turn off auto recalculate I'v been told you can on your Vista. So if I go off route to stop at a store it will recalculate and try to send me on a different route maybe dirt roads etc. I had an older Garmin that I liked but I'm not happy with the new one. I'v also had it lock up sometimes I can power down and up sometimes but other times it won't power down so I need to remove the battery. Not always but a lot of the time if it locks it is when it's trying to recalculate the route when I go off route.
mibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 09:02 AM   #32
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The hcx was a lucky second hand find. It is limited to 500 data points in gpx files though. Easy to get around, filter down and split. It will accept a 2gb memory card so data storage is no problem. I'd like one that can show more than a 2d map though. Not interested in live updates and cadence/hr just something that serves as its meant to. Pure gps with replacable batteries.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 09:16 AM   #33
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Strange. Earlier Garmins (even my 10 year old Vista Hcx) Have really good TBT navigation as long as the base map is good.
I really have no clue what is wrong with the Edge 1000.. Some are reporting that Garmin's recent firmware released a few days ago does solve some of the issues but it's still a mess..

The main issue with TBT on the Edge 1000 is recalculation.. It's so bad, most have it turned off..

Even if everything worked flawlessly on the Edge 1000, which it does not, there is no way it's worth the price when compared to the Cyclo 505's price and feature set..

Laps is coming to the Cyclo per DCR and for those who want live track an easy solution is to use the RoadID app.. Many prefer RoadID live track over Garmin's version anyway..

I think the Edge 1000 handles Power Meter advanced functions better than the Cyclo. I've never used a power meter and I know little to nothing about them so I say this just based on reading the posts of others.

The good thing about buying from Clever Training is you not only get 10% off with the DCR code but they also have a 60-day return period. I'd say pick the computer that you think is what you want and try it.. If it works for your needs then keep it. If not, return it and try the other..

The Cyclo is missing a few features from the Edge 1000 but it also has a few features the Edge 1000 does not have.. It is a viable option to the Edge 1000 and it's quite a bit cheaper..
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 11:12 AM   #34
mibike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Not interested in live updates and cadence/hr just something that serves as its meant to. Pure gps with replacable batteries.
+1 That is what I'm looking for with no touch screen. I've started looking at other brands as I think Garmin has forgot how to make a working unit and firmware. I'm keeping an eye on this thread and thinking about seeing if Magellan makes a unit that will meet my needs.
mibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 10:33 PM   #35
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
when you have the time can u also take a picture of the map with the back-light off? Find the best readable angle and take a pic of it.
I forgot to this today but will do so tomorrow...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 05:34 AM   #36
01 CAt Man Do
Senior Member
 
01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
With all this talk about Garmin I decided to dig my 705 out and see if I could download some rides that I've seen posted on Garmin Connect. Wow, didn't know what I was getting myself into. I had to re-set my password and then when I tried to download a route that someone else did it didn't work. Apparently my plug-in was out of date. So I tried to update my plug-in. For some reason this took several tries. Finally got it to load but once again it took more tries to get the file to run. Finally got the file to run. I must of spent hours trying to get all this to work. With everything in place I try to download the route I wanted to my 705. I held my breath and prayed I didn't get another pop-up telling me something was wrong. Luckily, the Garmin site seemed to be recognizing my 705! Thank God. The download started and when finished the site tells me the route has been transferred to my device. Excitingly I run outside to boot up the 705 to see if the route is on my "saved ride" list. Nope, it's not there. I try again, still no go. According to the Garmin site it should be on my device BUT...it's not. Very, very aggravating if I do say so. I can download from RWGPS without too much problem but if I want something from Garmin Connect it's like getting a tooth pulled. A Royal PITA.

@raqball; How does the Cyclo 505 function when navigating? Are there screen prompts, voice prompts or tone prompts? Is there advance turn warnings? What's the low-down?
01 CAt Man Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 08:47 AM   #37
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do View Post
@raqball; How does the Cyclo 505 function when navigating? Are there screen prompts, voice prompts or tone prompts? Is there advance turn warnings? What's the low-down?
The map automatically pops up to show you the directional movements ahead a few hundred feet out. As you you get closer, the map and zooms in. Once you complete the turn / navigation the screen automatically returns to where you were before. At the next turn, it pops back up and then automatically goes away.

Here is an image I found on the internet and this is what it looks like while navigating.



You can change the data fields to whatever you want and you can have 0, 1 or 2 fields on the map page. I have mine set to 0 because I want to see more of the map.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 09:19 AM   #38
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice. very similar to what the hcx does but on a bigger screen. Now it only needs a battery that can run a complete 600km brevet.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 10:17 AM   #39
mibike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
The map automatically pops up to show you the directional movements ahead a few hundred feet out. As you you get closer, the map and zooms in. Once you complete the turn / navigation the screen automatically returns to where you were before. At the next turn, it pops back up and then automatically goes away.
Nice. Is there a beep to warn you of the turn? Will it follow a route you program on a computer? If so and you go off route dose it recalculate? If so can you turn recalculate off? Will it warn you that you are off route? Can you use it and charge the battery at the same time?

Thanks.
mibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 10:29 AM   #40
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibike View Post
Nice. Is there a beep to warn you of the turn? Will it follow a route you program on a computer? If so and you go off route dose it recalculate? If so can you turn recalculate off? Will it warn you that you are off route? Can you use it and charge the battery at the same time?

Thanks.
1) You can turn the warning beep on or off
2) I use GPX tracks made with RideWithGPS and then download it onto the Cyclo. They work great!
3) Auto recalculate work great when you go off route
4) It does tell you that you are off route
5) I have not found anywhere to turn the recalculation feature off. You can stop navigation but I am not seeing a setting to turn it on or off
6) Yes you can charge and use at the same time
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 04:16 PM   #41
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
when you have the time can u also take a picture of the map with the back-light off? Find the best readable angle and take a pic of it.
Here you go... The is the map in very bright sunlight today. I think the camera picked up / add some artifacts in.. When I see the screen it's nice and clean but the photo shows artifacts.

What can I say.. My photography skills are lacking --> big time!

Anyway, here is the screenshot.. Easy to see and read even with the artifacts added by the camera.

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 05:10 PM   #42
Phish9870
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
1) You can turn the warning beep on or off
2) I use GPX tracks made with RideWithGPS and then download it onto the Cyclo. They work great!
3) Auto recalculate work great when you go off route
4) It does tell you that you are off route
5) I have not found anywhere to turn the recalculation feature off. You can stop navigation but I am not seeing a setting to turn it on or off
6) Yes you can charge and use at the same time

How do you add the GPS file to the cyclo?
Thanks Greg
Phish9870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 08:40 PM   #43
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish9870 View Post
How do you add the GPS file to the cyclo?
Thanks Greg
I make a route using RideWithGps then I download (export) the GXP Track to my home computer. Then plug in the Cyclo and drag and drop the .gpx file onto the Cyclo.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 04:57 AM   #44
Phish9870
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I make a route using RideWithGps then I download (export) the GXP Track to my home computer. Then plug in the Cyclo and drag and drop the .gpx file onto the Cyclo.
Thank You
Phish9870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 02:40 PM   #45
INTRAINING
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just used my 505 for the first time today and I have a question regarding the cadence/speed sensor and the dashboard display. Since I'm not using the cadence/speed sensor for speed, can I have the dashboard display the GPS speed? Seems like I can only display GPS speed if I disable the cadence/speed sensor.
Thanks.
INTRAINING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 05:10 PM   #46
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
My little Edge 200 was rock solid! My Edge 810 was a buggy hunk of junk. In the 810's defense, update 3.0 did finally solve the issues that I was having with it.. How long was the 810 out before it progressed to version 3.0 though? A year I think..
I hear ya on the 200. The reason I didn't through that one in, even though it was released since the 705, is the fact that it's feature set isn't really comparable to the 705 and beyond.
I still have the Edge 200. But, I haven't used it since I was given the Edge 500 for Christmas. My only 'disgruntlement' with Edge 500, is that it takes some time to lock on to the satellite. But that is probably because of all the trees in town. Once I am out of town, everything is fine. I don't want the 510, 800, 810, or 1000. First, Because of the button setup.(physical reasons) Second, Because of the cost. Third, While the 800 n' up have the mapping capability. I can make due without that.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 05:12 PM   #47
CactoesGel
Senior Member
 
CactoesGel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Émonda SL 6
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@raqball, thanks for this great review and updates! This helped with my decision tremendously.

CactoesGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 06:54 PM   #48
raqball
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactoesGel View Post
@raqball, thanks for this great review and updates! This helped with my decision tremendously.

No problem!

If you went with the Cyclo 505 I think you will be very pleased!

2 weeks now (17 days) and I've not had a single problem with it. Bluetooth is rock solid, the sensors all stay connected, WiFi upload works every single time and all my rides have been automatically synced with Strava..

I was a long time Garmin Edge series buyer and user but never again as long as Magellan keeps making and improving the Cyclo series.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:04 PM   #49
HawkOwl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..

Tbt?


..
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:59 AM   #50
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
..

Tbt?


..
"Turn by turn". AKA "turn guidance" or "turn notifications".
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.