I currently have the Edge 1000 and just ordered the Magellan Cyclo 505
Why did I order the Magellan? Well the Edge 1000 is a disaster! My 1st few rides with the 1000 were okay but I did have some bugs / issues. They have gotten worse and are now to the point where I have had to turn Bluetooth completely off..
Edge 1000 bugs:
1) Screen lock. Happens all the time now if I dare to touch the screen.
2) Bluetooth disconnects. These happen in 2 different ways
- Complete disconnect.
- Partial disconnect. Edge says it's connected but will fail the BT sync with the Connect App
3) Sensor disconnects. These are directly related to the complete BT disconnects.
4) Di2 gearing information can't be saved in the settings. It reverts instantly back to the default values
5) Edge remote goes to sleep. One press is needed to wake it back up and a 2nd press is needed for it to register the action
These bugs have all gotten progressively worse with more use. It's either that or I am noticing them more now that the new/cool factor has worn off..
The Edge 1000 has been out for a month and even though there are massive issues, no update at all from Garmin. An update is rumored but it's still about a month away according to DCR..
Now onto why I purchased the Magellan Cyclo 505..
It has the following similarities with the Edge 1000
- Nice big and clear screen
- Phone and text notifications
- Di2 integration
- Cycling specific navigation with complete maps installed
- Wifi for instant uploads after the ride
What I loose by switching over to the Magellan Cyclo 505
- Only has 2 customizable screens while the Edge 1000 has 5
- The ability to use the Edge Remote which I love!
I hope to have the Cyclo 505 by the end of the week and will keep this -v- thread updated as I move along with it.
Some initial issues with the Cyclo 505 were recently fixed via an update based on all my research. From what I can tell, Magellan is committed to updating the Cyclo and making it work where as with Garmin it's much more of the same as far a software/updates go..
If anyone has the Mio / Magellan Cyclo 505 please jump in and share your thoughts..
Photos and more comparisons to come once I get the Cyclo 505 in my grubby paws..